CB1100 Forum

Full Version: About to order the '17 dual bending valve forks for my '14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Ok- so I want silver fork lowers. I also want to try to improve the front forks a bit.

My original options were

#1- I could strip the black off my current lowers, brush the aluminum finish and clearcoat them. Would take many hours of work, a pile of sand paper and paint..and make a mess.

#2- I could buy the silver lower pieces new from a Honda parts place and swap em on- which would involve total disassembly of the forks, new oil- again several hours and make a mess. Smile

With either of these options I was considering new springs and race tech emulators.

I then read about the new forks on the 2017 and started looking at pictures.

They are the same diameter tubes, same diameter brake rotors, take the same axle part #, mounting for the calipers and front fender look to be the same- I can't see any reason they won't bolt right on.

Should solve both of my desires- I'll get silver forks and should be a better ride quality- with no mess and an easy quick swap on.

Since my bike is low miles still- I might even be able to sell my stock forks for a bit of cash to offset costs.

Thoughts?
I think it sounds like a great idea if the cost of the new parts comes in at a cost you can live with.
^^ Agreed.
Worth looking at the Andreani Kit for the CB1100.
Just fitted them and front end is fantastic.
Comp. and Rebound damping.
Not sure how the price compares but you could get a shop to strip your fork lowers and drop in the Andreani kit.
Hey there beardy, I've been looking at the Andreani kit ... i'm almost tempted. If you have the time would you please post a description of the modification and your review of how it handles? Be great to get an overview of the project and the benefits. Thanks Aussieflyer
Good thing I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still researching and found something that needs clarification from our new members that have a '17-

Click the big pics and compare the fork caps- they look the same, preload adjust, etc.

I have not been able to find a picture of the tops of a '17 EX looking downward.

On the other Honda bikes that have SDBV forks the caps look different and SBDV is written on the caps.

14- http://onlymotorbikes.com/public/74/hond...-moto.jpeg

17- https://motorsportsnewswire.files.wordpr..._ex_rh.jpg

The other thing I learned from reading around the web- and confirmed on these pictures is that the lower tree clamps onto the forks higher on the '17. You can see this as well in the picture. I'm not sure if this is a styling exercise or if the new forks offer more travel and need the space. Seems an expensive part to redesign and cast just for a slight visual change.

Any more thoughts?

More clicking around the net- and answering my own questions-

Yes these have sbdv stamped on them-

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengin...0-EX-3.jpg

and the front travel is 'listed' to be the same on both the 14 and 17. Doesn't mean it is- but probably is.

ORDER PLACED
Do let us know how this turns out! Ease of installation, AND do the new forks REALLY make a difference in handling. Thanks!
I certainly will.

I'm expecting a painless answer to both. Smile
(06-27-2017 01:48 AM)Aussieflyer Wrote: [ -> ]Hey there beardy, I've been looking at the Andreani kit ... i'm almost tempted. If you have the time would you please post a description of the modification and your review of how it handles? Be great to get an overview of the project and the benefits. Thanks Aussieflyer

Hey Mate, I will. I'll start a new thread with it on. Been meaning to for a while but summers been hot and I've been riding all the time. Pissing with rain today and I'm about 6 posts in!! It's all weather dependent....
Best pic I have of the fork caps, taken on Saturday at a dealer.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reference URL's