CB1100 Forum

Full Version: Heated Grips; Honda OEM vs. Aftermarket
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I will absolutely install heated grips on my 2017 model after it arrives; I have had them on (almost) every bike for 30 years. And I did a search on "heated grips" to see what others here have done.

The OEM grips with installation kit runs around $400. I can certainly afford that and will buy them if they are superior in some obvious way to aftermarket units. But I contrast that with the OEM Harley-Davidson grips I installed on my Road King and Road Glide Ultra; H-D isn't exactly known for competitive pricing, and those units were $200 each for the plain Jane ones (the ones that are reputed to work best, BTW).

Are there mechanical reasons that make installation of aftermarket heated grips a compromise affair (as in, it is necessary to modify some part of the throttle, bars, bar end weights, mirrors)? I would guess there are good aesthetic reasons to use the OEM grips (and that might tip it for me). Are the OEM grips nice and hot? My new H-D grips are uncomfortably warm on a 50°F day if I turn them up beyond "2" (out of 6) with thin deerskin gloves.

Just wondering about Honda's pricing on these . . .
I've just fitted a pair of 'Oxford' heated grips, only last weekend. Took all of about 90 mins. So easy and no issues. They cost £45 for the deluxe sports version. You can get 'Adventure' and 'Touring' versions, but they all seem much or a muchness...
The 'Sport' versions I have are hot. At 100% they were too hot on a 5Deg night, with my Rukka winter gloves on.
They required no cutting, although I have non-Std 'Bars. I used a two-part High temp epoxy, instead of the 'super glue' that comes with the kit. Only because I messes up before with a pair years ago and got them stuck half on! The epoxy gives you a bit more working time but still goes off after 5 mins.
The controller fits neatly onto to the clutch leaver handle bar bracket and has a built in safety cut off if you leave them on after you kill the engine... as I did after I first used them them, and I can verify that it worked and battery was saved.
Not as neatly wired, I suspect, as the OEM ones but, the price difference would buy you a heated jacket and a weekend away...
I love my factory heated grips. Plenty warm even with grip puppies.

I don't know about any aftermarket kits. I wanted something plug & play for our bikes as far as wiring, and factory look to the control that wouldn't stand out.

Of course this is coming from a guy that put '13 blinkers and '13 handlebar switch controls on my '14 just because they have a more old school look to them.
(01-19-2018 05:38 PM)PowerDubs Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about any aftermarket kits. I wanted something plug & play for our bikes as far as wiring, and factory look to the control that wouldn't stand out.
I think that the plug & play aspect is going to sway me to the Honda grips; don't want something that looks as though I cobbled it up.

Although I had aftermarket grips on a 2007 Harley Road King (because two sets of "genuine" H-D heated grips failed), I did install H-D grips (new and improved, according to many sources) on my 2017 Road King and they look and work great.
I've run Oxford heated grips on a number of previous rides and when they work they are good, however the last two sets both had issues with the heater controller failing. I went with the Honda heated grips on my RS and they are also great for heat output and I love the integrated look with a simple switch on the LHS grip.
Well, this morning I ordered the Honda heated grips and installation kit. Found a place to buy them for $307.70, delivered.
You will enjoy them once installed. This is my first bike with heated grips and I can't imagine going back to not having them.
I can't speak to aftermarket grips, but the OE heated grips on the NC750X I rode across Italy a few years ago were really nice. They heated up quickly and got very hot if I neglected to turn them down. With respect to heat output, they were superior to the OE grips on my various BMW's. I'd expect the OE grips for the CB1100 to be just as impressive.
I run Oxford heated grips on my ST. Very warm, I usually only run them at 30% (settings are 30,40,50,70 & 100%) but I have mitts over them. The BMW I rented in Europe had 2 settings, low and high. Couldn't feel low, & high was too hot to hold on to lol

I've heard the Honda factory heated grips are really nice.
The OE Honda grips work great on my wife’s CTX. I will be installing them on my bike one of these days.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's