CB1100 Forum

Full Version: Tents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.
My main consideration is to stay dry during any kind of rainstorm.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.[/size]
On my motorbike trips I use a tunnel tent called 'Tatonka Alaska'. It is a 2 room tent with enough space for my luggage, rain- and stormproofed, but not cheap and you can open all sides to have a nice airflow in hot weather.

The area where you sleep is totally surrounded with a mosquito net. If you are used to it, it's not hard to build it up and rebuild it. You can even use it for longer stands than only for one night at one place.

I checked out 2 other tents in years before, but this one convinces me, no matter where and under which conditions I camped and I had trips with lots of rain.....

https://www.tatonka.com/de/Zelte-Tarps-2...35-PU/2455

Wisedrum
very nice looking tent Wisedrum , they have come a long way since i was a kid and used them. I would think since the OP lives in NM he will want one snakes and scorpions can not crawl in at night for sure.

short tent story - when in the boy scouts i did not use any tent pegs one night and got up in the night to - "go" .
when i came back my tent was gone with all my cloths and was just in my undies . now freezing i went to a friends tent who let me in and had a spare blanket. the next morning we found my tent that had blown over a cliff into Perdido Bay . " tent pegs matter "
(01-19-2018 12:58 AM)zippooriginal Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.

Do you have defined characteristics you are looking for outside of that?

1 or 2 man, price, luggage space, etc could narrow down the search somewhat.

My wife and I have been motorcycle camping for 25 years now, even though we now can afford hotels we still choose to camp.
(01-19-2018 02:32 AM)use2b Wrote: [ -> ]very nice looking tent Wisedrum , they have come a long way since i was a kid and used them. I would think since the OP lives in NM he will want one snakes and scorpions can not crawl in at night for sure.

short tent story - when in the boy scouts i did not use any tent pegs one night and got up in the night to - "go" .
when i came back my tent was gone with all my cloths and was just in my undies . now freezing i went to a friends tent who let me in and had a spare blanket. the next morning we found my tent that had blown over a cliff into Perdido Bay . " tent pegs matter "

I bet your friend was a little surprised at first when you started crawling into his tent in your underwear! Big Grin
(01-19-2018 03:20 AM)Blockhead Wrote: [ -> ]I bet your friend was a little surprised at first when you started crawling into his tent in your underwear! Big Grin

'Surprised' is such a useful word if one aims for ambiguity, don't you think? Were you thinking use2be's friend was pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised?
(01-19-2018 04:08 AM)Cormanus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2018 03:20 AM)Blockhead Wrote: [ -> ]I bet your friend was a little surprised at first when you started crawling into his tent in your underwear! Big Grin

'Surprised' is such a useful word if one aims for ambiguity, don't you think? Were you thinking use2be's friend was pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised?

Umm, I’m not sure Cormanus. Dodgy

However, the visual I get of some of my burly friends trying to enter my tent in the middle of the night wearing only their ‘tighty whiteys’ is funny. Can only imagine what the look on my face would be...ROFL
I suppose, in the context of use2be's story, it's safe to assume the person in the tent was a scout not a guide. So, yes, they may well have been apprehensive at the sight of use2be in his 'tighty whiteys' (great expression that). On the other hand, I'm reminded of Tom Lehrer's wonderful song about the scouts, Be Prepared, in which he sings about an encounter:

"Don't be nervous,
Don't be flustered,
Don't be scared.
Be prepared"
Everything you see to the left fits inside my duffel bag,
Plus, I have a set of walking around clothes, my toiletries, and a small jet boil for heating up water for my morning coffee and oatmeal. That's all the cooking I care to do when I tour.

The tent is a 2 person size,by L.L.Bean callled the Microlight Tent

It packs down very small and is light for hiking.
Under the top rain cover, it's fully meshed for getting that air flowing through the tent during summer use.

Here's a quick overview of the tent
https://www.backpacker.com/gear/gear-rev...ght-2-tent
(01-19-2018 12:58 AM)zippooriginal Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking for recommendations for a tent to use while touring.
If you're talking about serious rainstorms, I can recommend the Tatonka Sherpa Dome. I've had it for the last 15 years an the tent has performed very well in any kind of weather. It has space for three or two plus bags, and a vestibule. Folded, fits a 40 liter sidecase with some room to spare. It is just a bit tricky setting up, but I hear the new version has continuous sleeves fot the rods so setup should take under 5 mins...

Reporting from Boca de Camarioca, Cuba

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's