CB1100 Forum

Full Version: Cycle World goes quartely, 4 issues/year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Cycle World Goes to Four Issues a Year

Apparently Rider has gained ground, still monthly, with an increase in subscribers.

Regrettably, this comes as no surprise.

Dean Adams says:

"Clearly the writing has been on the wall for some time; print is dead.

Oh, wait, what if a publishing house didn’t buy every ailing American motorcycle magazine and then have to prop them up for years by blowing a fortune, didn’t try to become a one stop shop for magazines, events, sanctioning bodies and ad agencies?

RIDER magazine, published by EPG Media in Minnesota, didn’t waste a fortune by trying to be every thing to seemingly no one."

There's a man what speaks his mind.
As a subcriber this makes no sense to me. They are going to go the the same motorcycle introductions, test ride the bikes, and tell me about them months after Rider (which I also subscribe to) does?
My CW subscription just lapsed and I wasn't planning to renew. With this announcement, I have few regrets.

Same with my one-year trial subscription to Motorcyclist. I don't care for the 6 issues/year and tiny unreadable font. Adios. Okay, so maybe I need reading glasses.

And my subscription to Motorcycle Consumer News, which I've had uninterrupted since 1995, will also not be renewed. But that decision had more to do with the new editor than with the format.

In the 70's, Rider was a preeminent touring magazine with lots of glossy pictures and great prose. The editor, Denis Rouse, left the magazine and retired to northern California. I felt the magazine lost its focus and quality after that.
(01-27-2018 08:09 PM)The ferret Wrote: [ -> ]As a subcriber this makes no sense to me. They are going to go the the same motorcycle introductions, test ride the bikes, and tell me about them months after Rider (which I also subscribe to) does?
Not much gets past you!Thumbs Up Yeah, what a mess. A lot of people will be out of work. The quarterly will fail. They somehow have the notion that people will buy a "weighty" tome to peruse for several weeks. The images will be "artistic", the editorials will be "thoughtful", and the features "provocative". The writers will be falling all over themselves to outdo one other with the brand of pedantic drivel to which we've become so accustomed.

I just like that term so much, I feel very like a child who learns a new word and simply must use it as often as possible.ROFL
I wish I had known that a few weeks ago when I renewed my subscription. Of the two I think I enjoy Rider the most anyway
That will be it for CW when this current subscription runs out - unless the issues are exceptional.
A quarterly will be months behind and of not much value by then I would think.
I won’t be re-subscribing. And I can’t stand Motorcyclists’ new format so I’m not re-subscribing to that one either. I’ll keep Rider for now.
I called both CW and Motorcyclist and cancelled; got my refund last week on the balance. I will continue with Rider, Motorcycle Classics, Road Runner and Motorcycle Consumer News though the later will also be dropped soon; MCN's quality has suffered since new crew took over.
No more Motorcyclist and Cycle world for me either , waste of paper.
Will keep MCN and I really enjoy Roadracing World.
I also have been getting for as long as they have been out the following British magazines : Classic Bike , Classic Racer, Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and The Classic Motorcycle .
All of these are great magazines worth every penny.
I won't be renewing my Cycle World subscription when it expires in March after close to 20 years. I just signed up for two years of Rider for $20. I will keep my Motorcycle Classics subscription as it is a great magazine.
I'm not going to cancel my subscript until I see what they come up with (because I love reading about motorcycles regardless) but I might not renew next time it's due.

I currently get Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Road Runner, Rider and Motorcycle Classics
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's