CB1100 Forum

Full Version: CB1100 meets Buttonwillow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was lucky enough to get in on a private track day at Buttonwillow last Sunday. It was organized by the friends I often ride through the Santa Cruz mountains with on weekends.

I think private track days, as long as properly organized by an experience track rider, are the best. And if you know the riders,and they know you, it’s also perhaps the safest and most comfortable way for a street rider to get on a high quality track. You can also ride as mich or as little as you like, in contrast to more rigidly structured track days put on by providers, though they’re good, too.

I’ve never been to Buttonwillow before at all. It’s about a 240-280 mile trip from my home in Belmont. While I had a few friends with space for a sport bike in their rigs, or on trailers, my relatively heavy CB11 either put them above their load limits (not advisable when you have to pull/tow across some mountains) or it wouldn’t fit with its relatively long wheelbase and 18 inch wheels.

I’m confident if I put a little more planning and effort into it, I could’ve arranged a sweet ride down with my bike trailered. Truth be told, I didn’t want to miss my cars and coffee early on Saturday morning near Capitola. It’s a delightful ride to the coast wher I get to spend an hour or two with great folks, and amazing cars and bikes. It also puts me 55 mile down the road, mostly south, which is where I need to go, but also a bit west, when I need to be a bit east. No biggie, though. Mostly the right direction, and interesting roads, not the boring interstate. Several of the old car aficionados are avid bike fans, too. Some have impressive riding histories or collections of bikes. Some are active riders, too.

It was late Friday evening when I finished the oil and filter change, thorough chain cleaning, and wash of the bike. I would wipe her dry tonight and warm up the bike and chain in the morning and lube it then.

It was unseasonably cold when I started out. With my minimal luggage capacity, I throw only the basic clothes and a few tools in my bag. My track boots and leathers won’t fit, so I wear them for the ride, with a windbreaker and firstgear textile pants with the knee protectors removed so they don’t conflict with those already in the leathers. Tending to the chain lubing and checking all the track day packing items, plus dressing in layers for warmth, and donning the bulky leathers and fussy track boots conspired to get me headed out a few minutes later than usual, so my departure was at sun up rather than pre-dawn.

Yes, that’s frost. I don’t expect any sympathy from most in this hemisphere who are experiencing “real” Februaries, but it’s cold by our standards at 37F.

I’ve yet to complete the transformation of my bike to the touring model, by bungeeing on my little, but oh so handy, Samsonite bag. You can see it on the ground in these pre-takeoff pics. Once that’s affixed, you may refer to my bike as a CB1100 Interstate model.

Swinging my leg over the bag, with leathers and textile pants is a feat best taken seriously. I’d say a degree of difficulty of 9.5 using standard gymnastics ratings, perhaps higher, corrected for my age.

Now, off to the gas station and over the hill to cars and coffee in Soquel. Crosssing the summit I’ll watch carefully for any signs of water or ice, but there will be neither.
First stop on the road to Buttonwillow is Soquel, CA. Why am I so insistent on squeezing this in? Well, for me, it’s as rejuvenating as a 10-day vacation. I try to make it any Saturday morning that I’m in town, weather permitting, and it almost always is. Such amazing cars, bikes, and the nicest group of vintage vehicle fans you’d ever want to meet.

Where else am I gonna see a rare, and lovely 1942 Indian in-line four, from the acquisition of Henderson, iinm?

Pure grace.

Check out the shift knob.

And the engine.

Or an amazing, mostly original, ‘67 GTO, 400 HO, with original factory red wheel well inserts?

Or a completely original, unrestored 1917 Locomobile coupe? Seriously cool. Look it up.

Or a ‘63 split window that flaunts the same timelessly tasteful silver red combo as the early (2010-13) CB1100 models?

Most of the 55 mile ride to Soquel gets me closer to Buttonwillow. And from here, it’s just about 35 miles further down the coast along scenic Route 1 to my brother’s home, near Monterey, and I can hydrate, wipe down the bike, even polish some crud off those high-maintenance stainless pipes in anticipation of photos at the track, and of course, take a nap before hitting the real meat of the ride, down 101 to Paso Robles, and east over the hills/mountains on 46 towards Bakersfield.

When you’re going any significant distance, and significant is whatever significant means to you, I think it’s a great idea to stop and stretch, to ward off pain, cramps and discomfort, plus to stay alert. I also like to admire the beauty of the CB1100 Interstate with deluxe Samsonite luggage option.

Clean chain, eh? This is at the Bradley rest are just north of Paso Robles, where I’ll cut over the hills/mountains on 46 east about 80 miles to I5.

About 20 miles off Highway 101, heading out past the wineries of Paso Robles, is the unfortunate place where James Dean hit another car and died in a fatal car crash. As a beloved movie star even with only three films under his belt, this place is still a highly trafficked spot on the highway.

Dropping down Inrerstate 5 for about 20 miles I actually pass Buttonwillow Raceway by 10 miles to reach the hotel where I’ll stay.

It’s also where I’ll meet up with the others at Willow Ranch for some good BBQ.

Good morning, Buttonwillow!

Good night, Buttonwillow.

Rolls, looks more like a Seat Time post to me. Great story and some fantastic pictures. I'm particularly impressed with the one of you and the CB in the right hander. Could it have leaned over any further, I wonder?
Looks like a great trip and track day. Love the pictures. I'd be interested in doing a track day of this sort with my CB1100. I'd want it to be with riders that share my goal of being in better control of my bike rather than having the lowest lap times. Maybe someday..
That was a really cool report and great pics! Loved the Indian and the Corvette and the you on the track pics...oh and the goodnight Buttonwillow pic too.
Great report and pics Rolls.....with an Alpinestars track suit I can tell this wasn’t your first rodeo, especially the way you were leaning your CB! I did a track day there once on my Monster, a fun track with a few tricky banked corners.
(03-04-2018 05:17 AM)Cormanus Wrote: [ -> ]Rolls, looks more like a Seat Time post to me. Great story and some fantastic pictures. I'm particularly impressed with the one of you and the CB in the right hander. Could it have leaned over any further, I wonder?

Thanks, Cormanus. It did indeed end up more like Seat Time as my keyboard clicked away. I’m neither a writer nor very organized, so as as I started writing, the ride down, which I enjoyed tremendously, took on an outsized part of the story.

The right hander is the very end of the big sweeper at Buttonwillow, called Riverside. I’m a bit wider than intended and pulling it in to close that gap to the apex curbing, where the sweeper decreases in radius. I’m lazy with right handers, consistently bad about bringing my upper body down towards the track, which means the bike has to lean over more than it ideally should.

My foot peg nubs are removed and I’m guessing this is about 115kmph so I’m listening and ready for any scrapes, but my front toe is usually first to warn me as I sometimes lazily let it duck foot outward. I do love the wide bars of the CB11, which give wonderfully precise control and amplify whatever the front tire is trying to tell me in a big curve like this.
Good stuff Rolls, you’re really leaning it. Interesting how the front tire looks bald while at speed.

The 2013 is still the best looking year IMHO...maybe I’m biased Big Grin
(03-04-2018 06:20 AM)EmptySea Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a great trip and track day. Love the pictures. I'd be interested in doing a track day of this sort with my CB1100. I'd want it to be with riders that share my goal of being in better control of my bike rather than having the lowest lap times. Maybe someday..

Thanks, MTC! I think you’ve shared an excellent insight. Clarity of your goal at the track, and fellow riders understanding it, is key. I share your goal of better control and shun the fastest lap time in favor of the smoothest and best planned line through the track. The big CB11 is actually a good ally in that regard, as it’s weight encourages you to be planful and it generously rewards your finding a smooth arc through any curve or set of curves.

It’s nothing like a primitive old CB750 or CB1100F out on the track, even though it retains their ancient chassis architecture. The frame is massively stiffer (thank you, computer aided design) and very responsive and communicative right up to its (admittedly modest) limits. If you’re a safe and prudent rider on the street, it’s my belief you’ll be the same on the track.

I think that, if you’re already inclined to try a track day someday, it’s a good idea.

The extra confidence in what your bike can actually do, which you gain on the track, can be extremely helpful on the road when something unexpected comes up. Remembering to push left to go left, for example, to get around a surprise in the road mid-corner, and knowing your bike can do it, can sometimes be the difference between panic braking and rolling on through.

Even if I’m I’m wrong about that, you’re still going to have a moment when you’re riding on the track safely and concentrating on your goal of better control and for a split second you’ll be like, “I can’t believe I’m doing this. It’s awesome! Excited” And that’s worth something in my book.

I hope things work out such that you get the chance to do it, and that you enjoy it safely and greatly when you do!

(03-04-2018 06:50 AM)The ferret Wrote: [ -> ]That was a really cool report and great pics! Loved the Indian and the Corvette and the you on the track pics...oh and the goodnight Buttonwillow pic too.

Thanks, Mickey! You reminded me, I forgot to credit those photos. For any photo where I’m wearing an orange safety vest, image credit: CaliPhotography. All others ar from my good old iPhone 6.

And I neglected to mention, that ‘42 Indian was produced just before manufacturing was diverted to the war effort, and is one of only 60 produced that year. Amazing to see it and hear it run. You could almost feel the history bundled up in it. Glad you enjoyed it.

Why am I wearing an orange vest? The organizer, in a lapse of judgment, designated me as a helper in the event of anyone going off track. In general, if you see a rider go off during a track day, you never stop - it only causes more problems and hazards. Don’t even watch them as they go off, or you might, too. In any case, we had a very safe day, and I never actually needed to spring into “helper” mode.
Excellent Rolls , thanks for sharing. I envy you. You couldn't described it better. I can feel your satisfaction.Thumbs Up
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's