CB1100 Forum

Full Version: 2018 Speedmaster... ride report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Finally got a sunny warm day in the northwest, so I took the new Speedie out for a loop around Hood Canal with a couple of buddies. Total 123 miles on one tank of gas, left me with about .8 gallons left and 35 miles left until empty per the trip computer. I averaged 64 mpg for the trip, and I was not babying it.

I'm fully in love with this new bike and can't wait to do some full on touring. Some thoughts / observations:

1. Holy crap does this thing accelerate! It's a proper he**-raiser.
2. Lean angle...well, I knew this was not a strong point for this bike. But with some shifting of body weight toward the inside of the tighter curves (pretending I have track skills), I was able to keep up the other two bikes shown in the picture below.
3. Ergonomics are near perfect for me (5' 9"). Love the relaxed riding position.
4. Seat...not bad! I'll see how I do with longer rides as it breaks in and I get used to it. May not have to change a thing.
5. My friends said it was one of the best sounding bikes they've heard!
6. Even at 70+ mph, wind was smooth and nearly silent over my Shoei RF1200. Chest pressure minimal. As of right now, I can't begin to imagine screwing up the lines of this bike with a windscreen, no way! Especially when 90% of my riding is below 70mph, and on dry days.
7. One minor quibble...being this is the first bike I've had with kind of short fenders, I was a little surprised by how much spray and splatter got ALL over the bike just from riding over a slightly wet section of road. No problem to wipe it down when I got home, but still...

Over all, zero complaints, all smiles. If the seat doesn't thrill me in the long run, I'm going to have it reworked at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA. Other than that, all I've done is remove the reflectors and the pillion seat & grabrail. I'm officially ready for summer!
Thanks for the update. I need to get my wife over to the Triumph dealer to check this one out.
kvdv wrote: 7. One minor quibble...being this is the first bike I've had with kind of short fenders, I was a little surprised by how much spray and splatter got ALL over the bike just from riding over a slightly wet section of road. No problem to wipe it down when I got home, but still...

The entire motorcycle industry has forgotten how to make decent fenders. I'm saving up for the Whitehouse CB1100 K10 Front Fender for my '17 EX.
(03-11-2018 08:47 PM)3rdbike Wrote: [ -> ]kvdv wrote: 7. One minor quibble...being this is the first bike I've had with kind of short fenders, I was a little surprised by how much spray and splatter got ALL over the bike just from riding over a slightly wet section of road. No problem to wipe it down when I got home, but still...

The entire motorcycle industry has forgotten how to make decent fenders. I'm saving up for the Whitehouse CB1100 K10 Front Fender for my '17 EX.

I 100% agree, and is why I've added the Fenda Extenda to some of my bikes.
Sounds like a keeper
I've added the Fenda Extenda to the Griso and CB. Money well spent. Some things should not be done just because it looks cool. Like tiny fenders.
That red VFR still holds up, all these years later. That was the best version of the VFR.
kvdv - I've seen a few advertising and press pics with riders seated on the bike, but I'm wondering if you could take one with you in riding position or, better still, a 5'6.5" woman in riding position. LOL (probably a little specific, but whatever you can do to show the riding position)
kvdv -- nice! So glad you love it! +2 on the gripe about shorty fenders.
I agree with everyone: glad you like the new bike kvdv. Look forward to hearing about your adventures on it.

And + whatever to the gripe about shorty fenders. I can only think it's an accounting decision.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's