CB1100 Forum

Full Version: Oil Filter Change: Every oil change or every other?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondering if y'all replace the oil filter every oil change, or every other oil change as the user manual suggests. If you do every other, do you leave the oil filter in place, or take it off and drain it? Thanks.
New oil and filter.
Same with me.
I don't stick to Honda's intervalls
and do my own, which are lengthier....

Wisedrum
Filters are cheap insurance. Change it with every oil change.
Ditto on every oil change.

Did my first at 519 miles (9 days in service), with GN4 to finish break-in.

Did my second at 4011 miles (<90 days in service), with HP4S (Honda synthetic).

With synthetic, I may go to 9,000 miles (instead of 8,000 miles), to the next change, depending upon color and level.

Then before the summer heat, I plan to change to Castrol Power One, 10W-40. With trips planned for Death Valley and Laughlin in April, Duck Creek and Grand Canyon North Rim in May and Prescott in early June, that will put me easily at 8,000 to 9,000 miles by mid June.

Side note: Wife asked me to prep the house air conditioner today to prepare for company, after church, tomorrow. Our two weeks of Spring is already over!

Back to the primary question: One reason to use a new filter each change ("cheap insurance" is an accurate statement) is that if the filter has reduced flow from contaminants, the internal bypass will open, so that the oil is no longer filtered.

I started out by ordering the Honda oil filter + wrench, part 15410-MCE-H51. With the well fitting cap wrench, I will continue with the Honda oil filter part 15410-MFJ-D01
New filter = new synthetic oil = every 5-6000 km/3 - 4000 mi = no exceptions = OEM = trouble free The ferret

pb
"With synthetic, I may go to 9,000 miles (instead of 8,000 miles), to the next change, depending upon color and level."

9,000 on odometer, instead of 8,000 = 5,000 miles interval, instead of 4,000 miles interval, "depending upon color and level"
Fresh GN4 oil & new oem filter every 4,000 miles.
I have used 3,000 mile oil chnage intervals on 4 wheel vehicles most of my life.

With synthetic blend, my 2016 truck is now at 4,000 mile intervals.

All manufactures, of which I am aware, have extended recommended oil change intervals for synthetic.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/advi...e-interval

Honda's recommendation of 4,000 miles is for non-synthetic.

Therefore, possibly extending to 5,000 miles for synthetic seems reasonably conservative.

Will see how the color looks at 8,000 miles on the odometer.
Thanks SportsterDoc Thumbs Up, I know that but I stay with my intervals
Beer

pb
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's