CB1100 Forum

Full Version: Just found out about these bikes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Went shopping this weekend for an HD Sportster, came home with a 2014 CB1100.

I hadn't seen or heard of these before Saturday, and after seeing it, I couldn't walk away. Less than 900 miles on it, and as far as I can tell, completely stock.

Anyway, I've spent the last 24 hours looking on this forum at threads regarding the bike, and it's only bolstered my feeling I made the right choice. Well, riding it was all I needed to justify the purchase!

One question, any definitive modifications or changes to this bike that seem to improve anything? And if I want a better seat, what recommendations. I read about the Corbin, but it seems I'm getting the feeling it's not very comfortable, or at least, soft.
Hello Howdy and welcome to the forum. Good discovery Thumbs Up
YOU wouldn't be more perfect.
Congrats and welcome
Clap

pb
Congrats and Welcome!

(04-16-2018 07:15 AM)rad4christ Wrote: [ -> ]...
One question, any definitive modifications or changes to this bike that seem to improve anything? And if I want a better seat, what recommendations. I read about the Corbin, but it seems I'm getting the feeling it's not very comfortable, or at least, soft.

Read less and ride more. : )

Tongue in cheek, of course, but what I mean is I'd ride the bike lots and lots before considering any mods. I'd suggest letting your body adjust to the size and ergonomics, the seat before doing anything. It might be that the seat is just fine for you. Asthetically, let the stock set-up speak to you before being swayed by anyone else's changes. If you like the idea of crash bars, they have a particular function and can look nice.

Having said all that, you could do the RLET thing, but be sure to read all 90+ pages before making that leap
: )
(04-16-2018 07:15 AM)rad4christ Wrote: [ -> ]And if I want a better seat, what recommendations.

You might start by clarifying what exactly you find problematic with regards to the stock seat. I'll second pdedse's advice as it's pretty solid. Congratulations on your discovery/purchase and welcome to the forum!
I have a Corbin seat. It's not soft. However, after about 600 miles, I found it really comfortable. I don't know if that was the seat conforming to my butt or me conforming to the seat (probably a little of both). Now I have a few thousand miles on it and I find it all-day comfortable. I ordered it with an inch of extra foam to raise me up a bit. I also got it with the removable passenger back rest so my wife would feel more comfortable on date nights. Smile

As for "comfort" additions: I have a road comet fairing to take the blast off my torso at interstate speeds. I have crash bars with highway pegs to stretch out a little on long rides. I have a tank bag because I don't like carrying things in my pockets when I ride. I have the OEM rack to strap stuff on.

I'll get rlets and fork gaiters sometime...

You bought an excellent bike. Ride the heck out of it.
Love at first sight! Great or what? Welcome to the CB1100 and the forum. You will love both.
Thanks guys! I'm 6'3", and I had a ton of helmet whistle from a windscreen on a previous bike, so I'm riding this one naked until I feel I need fairing/screen. I can tell already the seat isn't the most comfortable, but I'll stick with it to "break it in" first. I liked the Corbin as it spread the weight/pressure out a bit, and I'm leaning into it. Didn't know if there were any alternatives. Looks like importing is almost exclusively how you get gear for this bike.

I have NO idea what RLET is, and I don't have a heavy desire to change the look or feel of the bike. I just know sometimes with certain models there are small quality of life improvements to be made to help. I think I'll be getting a grab bar or OEM rear rack, but not off the bat.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, it's the first bike I've ever bought for myself! Outside of bikes I grew up on, I've been borrowing bikes from friends and family to ride, and this is the first (street) bike I've owned.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm looking forward to continuing and sharing my love affair for this bike.
Yep, once the CB1100 gets in your head there is no getting it out so you might as well acquiesce to it and take it home.

As for seats, I think aesthetically the stock seat looks the best but is terribly uncomfortable. I have both the Corbin Gunfighter and a Daytona Cozy, I think the Corbin may be just a touch more comfortable but it pushes you further back on the bike so unless you have very long arms you will need risers. The Daytona is very comfy (although I haven't tested it on a long ride yet) but doesn't have a sissy bar and is a little too "old school" looking for me.

I would really like to try a K&H high seat as it still has a stock look to it.
(04-16-2018 09:17 AM)W/R Wrote: [ -> ]As for seats, I think aesthetically the stock seat looks the best but is terribly uncomfortable. I have both the Corbin Gunfighter and a Daytona Cozy, I think the Corbin may be just a touch more comfortable but it pushes you further back on the bike so unless you have very long arms you will need risers. The Daytona is very comfy (although I haven't tested it on a long ride yet) but doesn't have a sissy bar and is a little too "old school" looking for me.

Well, I have long arms, so that's not an issue. I also wanted a seat slightly lower so my wife would be more comfortable driving it. Her feet barely touch on it as is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's