CB1100 Forum

Full Version: CB1100 good for Touring?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hi All!
New to the forum. I am in the process of shopping for a new bike and not exactly sure what I'll land on. I currently ride a 2009 Versys 650 with bags and other farkles. Love my bike but looking to change it up. On my short list of bikes are the Versys 1000, Concours` 14 or the totally opposite end of the spectrum is the CB1100. Every time I see the cb1100 I love it. My question to those with windshields, how comfortable are you on the highway? I know the seat is nice and flat but do the available windshields provide enough comfort for 2-3ish hour stints on the highway? I don't do any crazy mile eating, so I'm thinking it might be possible to be happy with the CB1100 if I do want to load it up and go camping several hours away. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Hello Howdy Legend and welcome to the forum.

well I wouldn't call it a touring bike, but personally I have done maybe 1/2 dozen multi day/multi state trips on mine. Many 9 hour days and even a 12 hour day last year 698 miles basically non stop coming back from the CB rally last year.

Many here will tell similar stories.

2-3 hours? Piece of cake.

Next to your 650 Versys, the CB has more horsepower, better brakes, probably an equal seat, same number of gears in trans, same chain drive.

I wouldn't put it in the same class as a Versys 1000 or Concours though.

Then again you can buy a 14 left over for thousands less than either of those models.
The CB is good (enough) for touring.

There are motorbikes on the market that are build especially for touring. For me it is more a question of, is the rider able to tour? You can tour on any motorbike and I saw riders on all kinds of motorbikes on my camping trips around Europe. Even on fully packed sport bikes.

The Honda as an all around bike is a good touring bike.
I use a windshield not too small or too big and can ride for hours on highways with 120 - 140km/h without being disturbed by wind. A tankbag also helps. In addition highwaypegs let me alter the leg-and seating position if I want to.

If you use saddlebags and a packroll you have enough room for all your camping stuff.

What I like about the CB is its torquey engine. You don't have to rev it hard no matter where you ride. It always pulls and don't take too much fuel. In average round about 4,5l on 100km. But it depends on how fast you ride.

So, tour with the CB! You will not be dissapointed and wherever you stop, rest or park your bike people and you will love to look at this big oldschool aircooled motor(bike) and more often than less you will be drawn into interested conversations about the Honda. What can a motorbike do better than to be a nice commuter and communication topic?

Wisedrum
(04-17-2018 02:34 PM)iamlegend21087 Wrote: [ -> ]My question to those with windshields, how comfortable are you on the highway? I know the seat is nice and flat but do the available windshields provide enough comfort for 2-3ish hour stints on the highway?

Well, this setup was good enough for riding a saddle sore (1000 miles in 24 hours) in April 2015:

Later I switched to a little smaller windshield:

I have "toured" with my CB, but realistically crossing the continent I take the ST. The small tank on the CB (compared to purpose built tour bikes) is the limiting factor for the CB, IMHO. But then I am spoiled by the 7 gallons in my ST. I have a luggage rack and a clear windscreen on the CB so it is quite un-farkeled. I just bungie a large duffle bag with camp gear on the rack/pillion. It creates a back rest for me. The CB is so smooth and my choice of roads is secondary and county highways. The CB just burbles along at 3K RPM 55/60MPH and yields 50/55 MPG.

But then I began my riding in the mid '60's on a 200cc 2 stroke Suzuki that I routinely rode on weekend camping trips; all probably under 200 miles out. That was true iron butt riding.
Jim
It would work fine for your purposes, I think.

I have a luggage rack. I use a waterproof bag across the rear seat and/or luggage rack

I do not have a windshield. I find them more of a pain than they are worth, but I am in the distinct minority in that opinion.

I will be adding hand guards and heated grips for cold and/or damp weather.

I have not camped off the bike, but there would be plenty of room behind me for my clothing and camping gear.

I have completed one Saddle Sore 1000 ride on my CB and have logged several 500+ mile days.

I have to stop to stretch every 130 miles or so, so the fuel capacity is a nonissue for me.
The CB1100 will never never be a dedicated touring bike, like a Goldwing, for instance. As others have said, it makes a great platform for a lot of types of riding. With a small fairing/windshield, and a rear rack or top box/side bags, you can tour just fine. Then you can easily take off whatever you want and have an excellent bike for commuting, exploring twisty roads, etc.

If I had unlimited financial resources, I'd have a Goldwing for touring, some kind of light supermoto for commuting, and a Ducati for the mountains and canyons around here. Since that will never be the case, my CB1100 does everything well enough for me.
Good? Heck, near perfect...
(04-18-2018 05:12 AM)EmptySea Wrote: [ -> ]I have a luggage rack. I use a waterproof bag across the rear seat and/or luggage rack
Same here.
Quote:I do not have a windshield. I find them more of a pain than they are worth, but I am in the distinct minority in that opinion.
Well, at least you are not in the 'minority of one'. (Does that make us twice as distinct? Smile

The main joy of owning a bike for me is long-distance travel. Since I bought CB1100, 3700km to the West coast last year, preparing for 5500km to the East coast later this summer.

(This is not to start an argument on what makes a good touring bike, this is just an honest contribution to the statistical data on what people prefer to tour on).
I know you've probably heard this from the others already but I'll just throw my hat in there and say, even stock, no windsheilds, no new seats, no special pegs, none of that, the CB1100 has been a bang-on stellar touring/highway commuter bike. the seating position, to me, is better than sport touring and better than cruisers for long highway runs. the engine is big enough on displacement to do 80-90 effortlessly without even revving high, and the bike geometry is ideal for adding storage at all points. speaking from experience on this.
I'm new here, but I went from riding an '08 Versys 650 to 14 CB1100, high windscreen on the Versys to none on the CB1100, and I drive about 70 miles a day on interstate.

I have far much less wind noise on the CB1100, but I think it's because the screen on the Versys was pushing the air into my face (6'3"). I'm hesitant to get a windscreen on the Honda because I don't want that problem again. The CB1100 is great on the highway, and I can hear my music in my helmet without having to max the volume, which, on the Versys I had no change of hearing it at highway speeds.

The only drawback is the tank capacity. I feel I'm filling it up a bit more often, the Versys had about another day of riding before it needed it. Or I might just be paranoid of running out of gas and topping it off more often.

As for riding comfort, I had the stock seat on the Versys, and stock on the 1100 at the moment. Both are comfortable, and I feel very similar on both. I had a chance to get another Versys, and I'm glad I grabbed the CB1100. My father has an 08 Concourse 1400, and that's a whole different beast. IMO, much better for long trips.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Reference URL's