CB1100 Forum
How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - Printable Version

+- CB1100 Forum (http://cb1100forum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Honda CB1100 Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Mechanical & Technical (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: How To Section (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) (/showthread.php?tid=10073)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - 736cc - 01-05-2017 06:04 PM

It's January and I doubt I'll be doing any test riding till Spring, especially w/ salt on the roads. Rarely ride when it's below 40

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - Stichill - 01-05-2017 06:30 PM

What does the Service Manual have to say about Idle problems? Can you read codes out of the ECU?

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - jdvalero - 10-17-2017 04:06 PM

Well guys I got this Jinx on my babe!!!

The symptoms were acquired right after I did a hard run on the bike where I went from cruising at around 65-70 to gunning it down all the way to 110mph about 8500rpm on an open hwy zero traffic
The bike is staying at about 1500 rpm on idle.
So doing the right thing I first looked into the service manual. Nothing that I could find on HIGH IDLE.
Then took to this Post and did the procedure indicated by The Ferret from 736CC's post in another thread.
Did the procedure with two slow back/forward rolls of the throttle and also three rolls back and forward. It seem to work until I rev the throttle and it goes back to 1500rpm idle.
I have done a lot of reading on the issue at hand and cannot get a solution.

I found out on a youtube tube video to reset any codes I may have in the ECU and then reset the ECU and lastly to reset the TPS Sensor. The problem here is that I cannot make out witch ones are the cables to jump in the wiring diagram (Service Manual) for where you connect the service tool.
Some people say they are Blue + Green others say is Blue + Brown.

if any one has any other Ideas please let me know....

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - Lord Popgun - 10-17-2017 04:31 PM

Jd, what year manual do you have? If its the 13/14 manual, look on page 5-14 for the procedure to read stored codes with the MIL and to erase stored DTC. And it has the colors. Brown to Green

If you have a 13 manual, it will be in the same section.

Stichill, there is no low or high IACV troubleshooting section in the manual. The troubleshooting section in the very back of the book has a Poor Performance at Low and Idle Speed that refers you to checkout the IACV. Then references how to remove it. Big help.

So, you must look in the Fuel System (PGM-FI) chapter 5. Page 5-41 in the 13/14 manual. There is a procedure and diagrams to meter the wiring from the 4 pin IACV connector to the proper pins on the ECM connector.

It also has you measure resistance (at 77 degrees F) and if good (and the wiring check is good) then replace the ECM, else replace the IACV

If you really need details, PM me.

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - jdvalero - 10-17-2017 04:55 PM

Thanks Popgun I will look into the soonest I get home. I have the 13/14 Service manual.

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - jdvalero - 10-18-2017 02:51 PM

Video of MIL reading codes.

https://youtu.be/QhfH-yzNfdA

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - Lord Popgun - 10-18-2017 04:01 PM

I’m going to have to watch it another 50 times, but it looks like one code is EOT sensor and another is serial communication malfunction (8 longs, 6 shorts, is 86.

7 shorts blinks is EOT. You can’t get the 7-1 or 7-2 unless read out with a HDS or GiPro reader that works with a PC.

I could be wrong on the blink count readout.

How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - jdvalero - 10-18-2017 08:03 PM

UPDATE:.
*Cleared the codes (DTC) and went for a ride (50+ miles)
*Got back home and I jumped the brown and green wires again to read if there weren't​ any codes again . Nothing! Steady MIL blink.
Bike still idling at 1500rpm....and driving me nuts!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - curlyjoe - 10-21-2017 04:27 AM

jdvalero, I added your information to the CB1100 idle issues spreadsheet. Could you check the notes column to see If it is correct?

Did you check the throttle free-play on your bike? It should be between 2-6 mm. The procedure is in the maintenance section of the service manual (throttle operation). If there's no or too little free-play, it's possible that could cause the high-idle issue.

RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly) - 736cc - 10-21-2017 05:53 PM

I recall some cold starts the idle is up above the normal 1400 to close to 2000; each time I upshifted and slowed down in high gear to force the revs down. It ran perfect after it’s warmed up each time.