CB1100 Forum
Overfilled oil from dealer - Printable Version

+- CB1100 Forum (http://cb1100forum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Honda CB1100 Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Mechanical & Technical (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Overfilled oil from dealer (/showthread.php?tid=11596)

Pages: 1 2

Overfilled oil from dealer - Spiderwatts - 10-08-2017 07:19 PM

[attachment=6968]I am trying not trying explode. My brand new 2014 I purchased two weeks ago is a black beauty and great ride. I ordered a taller and flatter seat from samurider to arrive in a few weeks. While sitting in my garage admiring this good looking new bike I decided to read the owners manual in a little more detail. The oil level in sight glass appeared completely full. After starting and rechecking it was obviously overfilled. Good ole you tube offered easy ways to remove to much oil with a spray bottle nozzle and hose but I could not wedge a hose in oil filler hole to replicate this hack.
So....drain pan and correct socket being used I slowly removed drain bolt and let a little oil out. Still too high. After several times draining and checking it was at about the middle level on sight glass. Ran it around and returned it to centerstand and it was nice and level in the middle. I cleaned up and grabbed a plastic jug to put the drained oil into to see how much it was overfilled.
At least a quart in my estimation. I called the sales manager to express my surprise and concern I had put on a hundred or so miles with it overfilled. He claimed there was no way it was overfilled that much and alleged the container must have had something else in it. Here is a picture of the amount I drained out.
He said if it was overfilled so far it would have leaked oil into the air box and told me to bring it in to service department for them to check. (The dealership is 60 miles away). I took it as a proper response but he did not believe I took out so much oil even after I texted him a picture.
Lesson learned. I should have checked oil level sooner. I went ahead and checked the air box and air filter and there was no oil contamination. Whew!

Overfilled oil from dealer - stateboy - 10-08-2017 07:39 PM

Honda brand oil comes in a 4 quart jug (I haven't seen it in a 5 quart jug). Perhaps they dumped a 5 quart jug (thinking it was a 4 quart jug) into the motor and called it good. You may want to ask them what brand of oil they put in their bikes (especially if they carry 4 quart and 5 quart containers of various oil brands). Maybe you can go back and demand a new oil and filter change of your brand choice. I've read other forum members mention that the factory installed oil filter can be a bugger coming off too.

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - Cormanus - 10-08-2017 07:42 PM

Does not sound good spiderwatts. The general consensus around here seems to be that if the oil can be seen anywhere between the markers you are pretty right.

Nearly a litre seems a bit much extra.

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - LongRanger - 10-08-2017 09:00 PM

I don't understand. Brand new bike, two weeks old, did the dealer change the oil already? If not, wouldn't it have been filled that way by the factory?

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - Aussieflyer - 10-09-2017 03:43 AM

maybe a well meaning, but inexperienced, technician topped up the oil whilst the bike was on the side stand??

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - curlyjoe - 10-09-2017 04:30 AM

(10-09-2017 03:43 AM)Aussieflyer Wrote:  maybe a well meaning, but inexperienced, technician topped up the oil whilst the bike was on the side stand??

That seems like the most likely explanation.

Spiderwatts, It's likely oil may have ended up in the front airbox via the crankcase emissions hose. There are 2 crankcase breather hoses on the CB. One is for the front airbox and one for the rear airbox. It's part of the normal service (4,000 miles) to drain those. The front breather hose is L-shaped with a cap on it and is located under the throttle body and you can see it from the left side of the CB. The drain hose is transparent so if it's full of oil, you'll have to drain it. You'll have to fashion some sort of pan to catch the oil without making a big mess. The rear airbox drain hose cap is under the CB on the left side behind the foot peg. There are diagrams on page 3-6 of the 2013 service manual.

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - Rocky - 10-09-2017 04:55 AM

I can't remember now, but my bike was either overfilled at the dealership or I did it when I changed the oil.
I took the horns by the bull and loosened the drain plug until it started to drip oil and when the level came down to just below the upper mark I tightened the plug.
It took quite a while for the oil to drain down, but it worked and I now keep an eye on the oil level.

As a matter of fact, when I took delivery of my Bonneville in 2006 it was also overfilled and I used the same method to lower the oil level.

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - The ferret - 10-09-2017 05:06 AM

Both of my CBs came over filled from the factory. Not quite as much as you drained out, but I have a pic somewhere around here of the amt I drained out of the 13. I surmised the factory puts in a little extra for ring sealing while breaking in but that's just a WAG.

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - redbirds - 10-09-2017 06:39 AM

My last two Hondas were delivered with too much oil. My ST1300 was seriously overfilled and I had to convince the service department to drain nearly a quart before I took delivery. The CB was only a little over but the top mark of oil could not be seen in the oil window.

RE: Overfilled oil from dealer - Spiderwatts - 10-09-2017 07:38 PM

Thanks for tip. No oil in overflow hoses. So hopefully, only a hundred miles with the extra quart of oil did no harm. It is a Honda.Smile