CB1100 Forum
Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Printable Version

+- CB1100 Forum (http://cb1100forum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Honda CB1100 Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Accessories/Modifications (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? (/showthread.php?tid=11696)

Pages: 1 2

Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Jchills - 10-27-2017 09:18 AM

I recently bought a used 2013 CB1100 and ordered a nice Shad topcase. The Shad mounting bracket was reasonably priced so I ordered it from the manufacturer. Well, after a month of waiting and several phone calls I received a message today from the sales rep saying the mounting rack for the CB1100 has been discontinued and it should be removed from the web site.

Guess I will look into other options... Anyone have a Givi or Hepco & Becker rack with a top case? I initially avoided Givi because from the photos it looked like the rack sat too close to the brake light and I thought a top case might then obscure the brake light if someone in a big SUV was driving behind me. Hepco & Becker rack looks like it mounts a few inches taller, possibly making the brake light more visible. Any opinions?

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - tuareg - 10-27-2017 11:50 AM

[attachment=7066]
(10-27-2017 09:18 AM)Jchills Wrote:  I recently bought a used 2013 CB1100 and ordered a nice Shad topcase. The Shad mounting bracket was reasonably priced so I ordered it from the manufacturer. Well, after a month of waiting and several phone calls I received a message today from the sales rep saying the mounting rack for the CB1100 has been discontinued and it should be removed from the web site.

Guess I will look into other options... Anyone have a Givi or Hepco & Becker rack with a top case? I initially avoided Givi because from the photos it looked like the rack sat too close to the brake light and I thought a top case might then obscure the brake light if someone in a big SUV was driving behind me. Hepco & Becker rack looks like it mounts a few inches taller, possibly making the brake light more visible. Any opinions?

I have the H&B rack and Journey cases which came with the CB; the topcase is not in a position to obstruct the taillight. In addition the Lock-It side frames can be removed when you're not using the side cases so the bike looks clean. Let me try to post a pic...

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - bigsheep - 10-27-2017 12:00 PM

My bike came with three H&B hard cases. Fantastic luggage. I usually run with two side cases and save the top box for over night trips. Easy on, off, clean, no complaints. I'll post a picture with the wrong orientation from my phone sometime later if you like.

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Jchills - 10-27-2017 07:36 PM

I have the H&B rack and Journey cases which came with the CB; the topcase is not in a position to obstruct the taillight. In addition the Lock-It side frames can be removed when you're not using the side cases so the bike looks clean. Let me try to post a pic...
[/quote]

Thanks so much for the response! Those cases look great on your bike. Looks like those turn signals had to be moved in order to mount the side cases. Was going to ask if you knew if the instructions for mounting and wiring were easy to follow, but I saw you were from Germany. You probably wouldn't have my problems with the language!

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - tuareg - 10-28-2017 01:33 AM

[attachment=7069][attachment=7070][attachment=7068]
(10-27-2017 07:36 PM)Jchills Wrote:  I have the H&B rack and Journey cases which came with the CB; the topcase is not in a position to obstruct the taillight. In addition the Lock-It side frames can be removed when you're not using the side cases so the bike looks clean. Let me try to post a pic...

Thanks so much for the response! Those cases look great on your bike. Looks like those turn signals had to be moved in order to mount the side cases. Was going to ask if you knew if the instructions for mounting and wiring were easy to follow, but I saw you were from Germany. You probably wouldn't have my problems with the language!
[/quote]

I wouldn't bet on my German skills myself because it's not my mother language Smile
Yes, the turn signals need to be moved inwards using the adapter pieces provided. On the same adapter there is a hole where the top of the Lock-It side case frame is mounted. Although I haven't done the assembly myself(PO did it) the whole thing looks easy enough. The connections lower down around rearsets are simpler. I checked the instructions I have, they are bilingual so no problem there.
By the way, sorry for the low-res pictures... Good luck!

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Rboe - 10-31-2017 09:27 PM

I have the optional Honda rear rack on my 2013, just added a Give top case (V56) and the universal Monokey mounting plate. Seems to be working just fine.

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Magnus - 11-03-2017 09:30 AM

You can add brake lights to your top case reflectors if visibility is a concern. I did this to the Hepko Becker Top Cases on my Honda Grom and the girlfiend's Yamaha FZ-07 because of the extreme overhang on the rear brake light. I used the universal "add more lighting" LED kit - kinda pricey but works well and pretty easy to install. Their website: https://admorelighting.com/

If you're doing a common GIVI case I think they have some case specific kits as well.

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Jchills - 11-04-2017 05:33 PM

Yes, the turn signals need to be moved inwards using the adapter pieces provided. On the same adapter there is a hole where the top of the Lock-It side case frame is mounted. Although I haven't done the assembly myself(PO did it) the whole thing looks easy enough. The connections lower down around rearsets are simpler. I checked the instructions I have, they are bilingual so no problem there.
By the way, sorry for the low-res pictures... Good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for those pics, that is very helpful. I like that the Hepco Becker tail rack is mounted a little higher above the brake light. Seems like it would give those following me a better view of my brakes.

(11-03-2017 09:30 AM)Magnus Wrote:  You can add brake lights to your top case reflectors if visibility is a concern. I did this to the Hepko Becker Top Cases on my Honda Grom and the girlfiend's Yamaha FZ-07 because of the extreme overhang on the rear brake light. I used the universal "add more lighting" LED kit - kinda pricey but works well and pretty easy to install. Their website: https://admorelighting.com/

If you're doing a common GIVI case I think they have some case specific kits as well.

I was planning on using a Shad top case that I got for a pretty good deal. Shad does have a light kit, but it seems cheaply made and not very bright. You're right, that Admore light kit is a little pricey, but I like that it has options for turning it into a modulating brake light. Seems pretty bright, too. Did you have to cut into any wires for the installation, or was it just plug and play?

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Magnus - 11-05-2017 01:04 PM

The admore kit comes with needle type splices that will go into your OEM wiring. Easy to use and easy to remove without damage if uninstalled.

Quote: You're right, that Admore light kit is a little pricey, but I like that it has options for turning it into a modulating brake light. Seems pretty bright, too. Did you have to cut into any wires for the installation, or was it just plug and play?

RE: Shad rack discontinued. Alternate suggestions? - Dude - 11-10-2017 01:38 AM

Do you guys know if the hb side carriers can be used along with the shad top case/mount. The shad mounting plate attaches to the two screws on the sides close to the seat. Where do the lock it carriers mount to the cb??