CB1100 Forum
What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Printable Version

+- CB1100 Forum (http://cb1100forum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Honda CB1100 Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Mechanical & Technical (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: What does everybody use to clean their headers? (/showthread.php?tid=12455)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What does everybody use to clean their headers? - misterprofessionality - 04-13-2018 07:24 PM

For those of us who don't have the blacked out Yoshimura pipes i mean.

Been looking for a miracle snake-oil to keep my headers from looking blotchy and discolored (at least not discolored in an ugly way. i've seen some pretty ones).

give me your product recommendations!!

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Retsel - 04-13-2018 07:28 PM

(04-13-2018 07:24 PM)misterprofessionality Wrote:  For those of us who don't have the blacked out Yoshimura pipes i mean.

Been looking for a miracle snake-oil to keep my headers from looking blotchy and discolored (at least not discolored in an ugly way. i've seen some pretty ones).

give me your product recommendations!!
Jet Hot!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Cormanus - 04-13-2018 07:28 PM

Search will be your friend, but, for those who refuse to accept that Honda designed these pipes to go bronze and blotchy, Optiglanz is said to give, good results with only modest effort required. Failing that, have them JetHot coated.

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - misterprofessionality - 04-13-2018 07:32 PM

(04-13-2018 07:28 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Search will be your friend, but, for those who refuse to accept that Honda designed these pipes to go bronze and blotchy, Optiglanz is said to give, good results with only modest effort required. Failing that, have them JetHot coated.

searching was my first instinct. it yielded moderate results. Starbrite and Mother's seemed to have an affect, but swear i see pics of bikes with 30k miles on them where the pipes are bronzed, but not at all blotchy. i wanna be like that when i grow up. i will look into this optiglanz, and whatever else gets recommended.

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Cormanus - 04-14-2018 02:29 AM

Search for optiglanz. Should yield some results. It was talked about often enough.

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Stichill - 04-14-2018 07:45 AM

70% chemical action + 30% elbow grease

Autosol

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Teamwalker - 04-14-2018 07:45 AM

This may be heresy, but I kinda like the "golden glow" of the SS pipes on my 14 Std. Read a story once where Holman and Moody advised that the way they get the finish on the original GT 40 headers (not Ford reboot) was to wipe them down with WD40 and let the heat go to work! I have tried this and it produces a very even golden color.

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Stichill - 04-14-2018 07:49 AM

Before

After

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - Perry - 04-14-2018 09:06 AM

Impressive, StichillThumbs Up

Did you pull the exhaust to get that shine?

RE: What does everybody use to clean their headers? - SportsterDoc - 04-14-2018 09:08 AM

(04-14-2018 07:45 AM)Teamwalker Wrote:  This may be heresy, but I kinda like the "golden glow" of the SS pipes on my 14 Std.

I'm with you and mine are evenly colored.