CB1100 Forum
You know it’s not a good day when... - Printable Version

+- CB1100 Forum (http://cb1100forum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Honda CB1100 Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: You know it’s not a good day when... (/showthread.php?tid=12459)

Pages: 1 2

You know it’s not a good day when... - TCinNC - 04-14-2018 01:37 PM

Changed the oil on the CB earlier today. Pulled the drain plug, let the oil start draining, start doing other things on the bike. Put the plug back in... Later as I’m pouring the old oil out of the drain pan into another container, plop, there falls the drain plug washer

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - TwoBrothersBusa - 04-14-2018 02:33 PM

UGH....that's a pain.

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - cookiemech - 04-14-2018 04:13 PM

I thought the "not good" day was going to involve neglecting to add the new oil, then going for a ride . . . Smile

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - LongRanger - 04-14-2018 05:29 PM

Just a matter of perspective, I suppose. I was riding around this afternoon and came upon an accident scene. Busy boulevard, lots of police and fire trucks, flashing lights everywhere, three bikes on the shoulder and one on its side in the median. The body was covered with a sheet. Please be careful out there!

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - Houtman - 04-14-2018 06:33 PM

I have about 20 spare washers , only 50 cent at my local dealer for each.

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - TCinNC - 04-14-2018 07:00 PM

(04-14-2018 06:33 PM)Houtman Wrote:  I have about 20 spare washers , only 50 cent at my local dealer for each.

I have the washer, I just have to remove the drain plug to put it on

You know it’s not a good day when... - MMC - 04-14-2018 07:48 PM

I once had my oil changed on my truck, the plug was leaking so I took it back to the shop. They replaced the washer by opening the fill hole and putting a vacuum to it, removed drain plug and put new washer in place. No oil loss. Don’t know if it would work on the bike though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - gmike - 04-14-2018 08:33 PM

(04-14-2018 07:48 PM)MMC Wrote:  I once had my oil changed on my truck, the plug was leaking so I took it back to the shop. They replaced the washer by opening the fill hole and putting a vacuum to it, removed drain plug and put new washer in place. No oil loss. Don’t know if it would work on the bike though.

I have seen that done in my younger days. We used a shop vac on the oil fill hole. I have since heard the shop vac could explode from fumes.
??? Possible for sure. Me, ( if again) I would drain oil in a clean container and reuse. It will probably never happen again to you. Smile

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - TCinNC - 04-15-2018 04:35 AM

(04-14-2018 08:33 PM)gmike Wrote:  
(04-14-2018 07:48 PM)MMC Wrote:  I once had my oil changed on my truck, the plug was leaking so I took it back to the shop. They replaced the washer by opening the fill hole and putting a vacuum to it, removed drain plug and put new washer in place. No oil loss. Don’t know if it would work on the bike though.

I have seen that done in my younger days. We used a shop vac on the oil fill hole. I have since heard the shop vac could explode from fumes.
??? Possible for sure. Me, ( if again) I would drain oil in a clean container and reuse. It will probably never happen again to you. Smile

You can rest assured on your last sentence

RE: You know it’s not a good day when... - PowerDubs - 04-15-2018 06:48 AM

When I was just a few years into driving, I changed the oil on a car but did not notice the old rubber seal from the filter stayed stuck to the block. Needless to say 2 rubber seals do NOT work better than one.

Talk about a huge mess.....