CB1100 Forum
Staintune Exhaust - Printable Version

+- CB1100 Forum (http://cb1100forum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Honda CB1100 Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Accessories/Modifications (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Staintune Exhaust (/showthread.php?tid=210)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Staintune Exhaust - Scoobynut - 05-03-2013 07:29 PM

My Staintune slip-on arrived this afternoon, so I thought I'd better post up some pics. I'm going to get my bike tomorrow, so it will be a few days before I get it installed. First impressions of the appearance of the pipe are even better than expected. I have a few other brands of custom exhaust on some of my other bikes (Two Bros and Leo Vince), and while they are very nice for mass produced exhausts, this Staintune has a hand-crafted, artisan look about it. It's simply a work of art. The polished stainless looks better than most, if not all, chrome I've ever seen. Even the clamp is stainless and shows the same attention to detail as the muffler. I purchased this from a guy named Brandon in the parts dept. at Sturgis Yamaha/BMW (605-347-2636) and he gave me some good old-fashioned customer service. He also shipped it the 200 miles to my house for free. The exhaust was $899 including tax. Pretty spendy, no doubt, but once I saw it, I felt a lot better about paying that price. I can't wait to hear it!

The box was a little compressed, but there was no damage to the muffler:

Probably because it was so well packed. 3 layers of large bubble wrap and a layer of soft, spongy wrap under the bubble wrap:

A few shots of the muffler in some natural daylight:

Closeup of nice, etched Staintune logo:

Closeup of outlet. If you look closely you can see the perforated core. Call me crazy, but I like perforated cores.

RE: Staintune Exhaust - The ferret - 05-03-2013 07:32 PM

Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?

RE: Staintune Exhaust - Scoobynut - 05-03-2013 07:41 PM

(05-03-2013 07:32 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?

Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.

RE: Staintune Exhaust - Guth - 05-03-2013 07:43 PM

(05-03-2013 07:32 PM)The ferret Wrote:  What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise?

I'd be curious about this as well. Nice looking product.

RE: Staintune Exhaust - The ferret - 05-03-2013 07:44 PM

(05-03-2013 07:41 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 07:32 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.

I was thinking the same thing

RE: Staintune Exhaust - Scoobynut - 05-03-2013 07:48 PM

(05-03-2013 07:43 PM)Guth Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 07:32 PM)The ferret Wrote:  What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise?

I'd be curious about this as well. Nice looking product.

Guth, I commented on tuning for adding a slip-on in my reply above. I believe the ECU will simply adapt to the greater flow; there shouldn't be any need for additional tuning or remapping.

RE: Staintune Exhaust - redReno - 05-03-2013 07:54 PM

http://www.staintune.com.au/faq3.htm

I'd check out their website, it says all you need to do is install it and you are ready to ride.

RE: Staintune Exhaust - Scoobynut - 05-03-2013 08:03 PM

Forgot to mention -- their website claims 7 additional horsepower, but I believe their video claims 6 more horsepower. Either way, that's a pretty healthy gain for just a slip-on.

RE: Staintune Exhaust - Inline4 - 05-04-2013 03:22 AM

AAAAAAHHHHH! Heart Heart Heart Heart Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Glad to see the build quality meets your expectations. It IS a good looking piece and from the sound clips I've heard, it will transform the CB while still retaining much of the stock appearance. Well worth the price, IMHO.
You must be pretty pumped about taking delivery of your bike today, John.
When you call it a day, give us your riding impressions and I will offer up a toast to your great day. (I noticed the Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio and Jameson's Irish Whisky in the background). Smile
Jim

RE: Staintune Exhaust - The ferret - 05-04-2013 05:00 AM

Found this

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ZT7ab-CRP-U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZT7ab-CRP-U