CB1100 Forum
How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - Printable Version

+- CB1100 Forum (http://cb1100forum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Honda CB1100 Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Mechanical & Technical (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: How To Section (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb (/showthread.php?tid=8598)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - The ferret - 05-13-2016 07:08 AM

In the old days there were two long phillips head screws that went thru the front of the lens. Remove those and you were staring at the bulb that needed replacing. Easy-peasy. Times have changed. Although not much more difficult the procedure is a bit different now.

Tools you will need:

5 mm allen wrench ( there should be one in your tool kit..it's same size as the side cover screws) or 5mm allen socket and ratchet

replacement bulb (note in this case I am replacing the stock bulb..top... for a flashing led bulb..bottom)

Procedure:

There are two allen screws in the rear of the tail light housing, 1 on each side. Both of these must be removed

if using the ratchet make sure it is set to loosen and remove screws

If using the allen wrench to loosen you turn counter clock wise

once screws are removed the whole tail light housing will pull straight out. However, it won't pull out very far as there isn't much extra wire there

Notice the light gray object in the middle of the tail light housing. This is a socket that must be turned about 1/4 turn counter clockwise in order to get it out of the housing. This is what holds your tail light bulb. So reach down in there and twist it counter clockwise as if you were looking at it head on. It's hard to describe, but you will actually be working backwards so you hand will twist to your right. Notice when you get it turned correctly 3 little tabs will line up with 3 little slots.... easily visible in this photo. Once those line up it will easily pop out.

Once the socket is removed you will replace the bulb just like you always did. Push the bulb in a little bit and twist counter clockwise to remove. Note orientation of locating pins on bulb base, 1 high, 1 low. Install new bulb noting orientation of locator pins, push and twist clockwise until it's in.

The stock tail light bulb and the led flashing bulb's bases and locating pins are the same.

Once you have replaced the bulb, you simply line up the tabs with the slots in the housing, push it in and turn 1/4 turn clockwise to lock it in place.

then push taillight lens assy into housing and install your two 5 mm allen screws. If using ratchet make sure it's set to tighten. if using the allen wrench you will turn to the right to tighten.

Once tightened up, turn on key and check and make sure tail light and brake light is working.

Note if using the flashing led bulb that gman found on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QNF3ZDD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the bulb is a white led. ie: when lit up it glows white. Therefore a white light will be illuminating your license plate as it is supposed to be. It is very bright on the plate.

this is a view from the lic plate looking up at the led white bulb

with the led flashing bulb installed, when you hit the brake lever or pedal, the rear brake light will flash rapidly 3 times, them burn solid bright as normal for a brake ligh. Letting off the lever and re-applying will make it flash again then go solid again repeating the initial process. Every time you let off the brakes and reapply the flashing sequence is repeated.

Like I said the process isn't terribly difficult, takes 10 minutes max, but it's certainly more difficult than it used to be. Hopefully this tute will help anyone who wants or needs to replace that tail light bulb.

RE: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - Rocky - 05-13-2016 07:26 AM

Nicely done Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
This is something I may look into. Every little bit helps.
I rarely ride at night so I'm not that concerned about licence plate illumination.

How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - Verdecken - 05-13-2016 10:44 AM

Thanks for the write up!! Took me about 5 minutes too. Here's a video of how it works for those interested. I'll try to get another tonight in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - Nemo - 05-13-2016 11:04 AM

Muchas gracias. Merci Beaucoup. Domo Arigato. Muito Obrigado.

RE: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - uscgmac - 05-13-2016 03:43 PM

I just installed mine. I wont even tell you how easy it was with my chic desiqn aftermarket fender. Two screws, take lense off, switch bulb, replace lense and screws. All of about 2 minutes. Longest part was opening the package for new bulb.

I mentioned in the other thread that tst industries make a easy to install aftermarket LED plate lamp. I dont have a link right now but you can check out Youtube or google it. They make different ones, look for the one which is made for bikes that share the brake and plate lamp all in one.

RE: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - c-breezy - 05-13-2016 04:45 PM

Great writeup Ferret! Mine just came got delivered this afternoon so this is perfect timing, thank you!

RE: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - The ferret - 05-13-2016 05:55 PM

as a side note, I met my wife for dinner tonight. I rode, she drove and followed me to observe the new bulb. She felt the flashing brake light a good safety feature. She said it really caught her attention, but that I needed to slow down lol

RE: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - Flynrider - 05-13-2016 07:19 PM

(05-13-2016 05:55 PM)The ferret Wrote:  as a side note, I met my wife for dinner tonight. I rode, she drove and followed me to observe the new bulb. She felt the flashing brake light a good safety feature. She said it really caught her attention, but that I needed to slow down lol

Did she have any opinion about the visibility of your license plate, using the red light?

How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - uscgmac - 05-13-2016 09:59 PM

I have a before and after pic of the bulb. The running light is on, lever not depressed, brake light off and during daytime in my garage. I couldn't take a good pic of light while holding brake lever at same time.
İmageİmage

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

RE: How To install a flashing or stock tail light bulb - The ferret - 05-14-2016 05:21 AM

(05-13-2016 07:19 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  
(05-13-2016 05:55 PM)The ferret Wrote:  as a side note, I met my wife for dinner tonight. I rode, she drove and followed me to observe the new bulb. She felt the flashing brake light a good safety feature. She said it really caught her attention, but that I needed to slow down lol

Did she have any opinion about the visibility of your license plate, using the red light?

No, it was still daylight out.