Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Got hit today
DaSwami Offline
Running Like a Top

Northwest Montana (again!)
Got hit today
So I'm sitting at a red light early this morning on the CB1100, and before the light turns green, WHAM I get hit from behind from the car behind me which for some reason thought it was OK to proceed. I went flying into the air (and remember my CB rolling into the intersection without me) and ended up face down on the pavement. An ambulance trip to the hospital and now I'm home, beaten up pretty good. My mid-back took the brunt of it, but I hurt all over.

Anyway, checked out the CB at the impound yard, the rear fender is smashed, the bike laid on its left side so the lower engine casing is scraped up, the clutch lever snapped in two and the rear footpeg bracket that holds the exhaust wiggles loose. Worse, the bike will not start now....I fear that it ran on its side and maybe seized up from lack of oil? Anybody know if that's possible?

Thanks...
11-14-2017 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Got hit today
Dang that's a bummer. Hope you weren't badly hurt. Assume the hitter was ticketed and had insurance?

No bike won't lay on side and burn up from lack of oil. It hass a tip over switch that kills the ignition once bike angle exceeds say 60 degrees.

Things to do (1) make sure it is in neutral. (2) make sure the red emergency kill switch has not been tripped (3) cycle the key, turn it off and turn it back on. Then it should start.

Sorry it happened, hope you heal quickly, your bike gets fixed and that you are adequately compensated for lost wages, pain and suffering. Don't settle until you and the bike are 100%.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
11-14-2017 03:56 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
Sorry to hear about that, DaSwami. Glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed.

In addition to the items Mickey mentioned, you also might want to check the clutch switch. Since it hit hard enough to break the clutch lever, the switch may have become damaged or misaligned.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
11-14-2017 04:03 PM
peterbaron Online
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
DS,

Items and thing can be fixed,replaced....or both..
Human's health cannot...
Get well ASAP...wish you speedy & full recoveryBig Grin

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
11-14-2017 04:03 PM
DaSwami Offline
Running Like a Top

Thanks Ferret.....driver was assigned 100% fault on the accident (ticketed) and she does have insurance, but I'm still meeting with an attorney because I've never had this happen before and the trauma is quite underrated, already have a bad headache. Tomorrow is gonna be fun (not).

Did all of the above and the bike just clicks and then nothing, like a bad battery or starter, but neither was an issue before damage.

I'm demanding they take the bike to the Honda dealer for a complete inspection, they want to examine it in the impound yard first. Whatever, it was $225 to tow and $25 a day to sit there, I'm not paying it.

(11-14-2017 04:03 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  Sorry to hear about that, DaSwami. Glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed.

In addition to the items Mickey mentioned, you also might want to check the clutch switch. Since it hit hard enough to break the clutch lever, the switch may have become damaged or misaligned.

Aaaaah...that's why I want a dealer to do a complete assessment.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017 04:06 PM by DaSwami.)
11-14-2017 04:05 PM
Pauley Offline
Running Like a Top

SF Bay Area, CA
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Da Swami. Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse. Hope you and you bike get back on the road soon.
11-14-2017 04:16 PM
DaSwami Offline
Running Like a Top

Thanks fellas. Just got word the insurance company is going to have it towed to the local Honda dealer tomorrow, so that is a great first step.

Assuming we get it running again, anything else to watch for on the test ride, shaking in the seat or odd handling? I'm worried about a bent rim, frame or swingarm..
11-14-2017 04:21 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Sorry to read about your crash DaSwami, but happy that you survived. I have some experience in this, both as an insurance agent and as a person whose bikes have been involved in claim-worthy crashes.

Here's the thing: Unlike cars, there is virtually no reliable source for used or aftermarket parts. It is also, in most cases, much more expensive to repair parts than to replace them. So, what do these two things mean? They mean that it there is s strong likelihood that every part that has a scratch or a dent or is marred or bent will be replaced with a new part. If your Honda dealer is as good as mine, they will go over every inch of the bike looking for anything that needs to be replaced. Your bike will really be 'better than new' in some respects when this is done. UNLESS---the other party's insurance company doesn't know what their doing or is trying to cut their costs. Most companies will treat you fairly, though, and especially since they know you have injuries; they get extra fair when they are worried about a big BI claim. One piece of advice, though, don't threaten legal action against them too soon. Doing so will probably only delay repairs as claims reps are people, too and they get defensive when threatened.

Good luck to you. I hope both you and your CB1100 are as good as new in no time.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017 04:39 PM by EmptySea.)
11-14-2017 04:38 PM
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
Was she at least apologetic? What was her excuse?

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
11-14-2017 04:39 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
Sorry to hear of it, and hope you're not too banged up. What can at first feel not too bad, sometimes worsens.
11-14-2017 04:57 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Talk about dreaming of owning something . . .The ferret — 01:42 PM
Oh no, gone....I've ridden this bike. I . . .misterprofessionality — 01:40 PM