Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What kind of oil is everybody running
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
RE: What kind of oil is everybody running
(01-09-2018 06:19 PM)Mscb1100 Wrote:  Flynrider
Does the wind chill factor apply the temperature range the oil weight range?

No, it doesn't. The wind chill factor is a number that estimates the effect of air flow over exposed skin (i.e. how the wind makes you feel even colder). You should use ambient temperature to figure out what temperature your engine is feeling.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
01-10-2018 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jtopiso Offline
Running Like a Top

Spain
(01-10-2018 01:17 PM)popgun Wrote:  There is no oil flow thermostat. If the engine is running, oil is flowing through the cooler. This is shown in the Lubrication System section of the service manual.

Good to know. thx!

(01-10-2018 01:58 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 06:19 PM)Mscb1100 Wrote:  Flynrider
Does the wind chill factor apply the temperature range the oil weight range?

No, it doesn't. The wind chill factor is a number that estimates the effect of air flow over exposed skin (i.e. how the wind makes you feel even colder). You should use ambient temperature to figure out what temperature your engine is feeling.

The engine will "feel" different depending on wind speed (that's why cooling fans work on coolers). The cooling fins are more efficient in the wind (radiation heat may be the same, but convection is not). However, you should choose your oil for the worst conditions, which is standing still with no air-speed.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 01:46 AM by jtopiso.)
01-11-2018 01:26 AM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
(01-11-2018 01:26 AM)jtopiso Wrote:  [
The engine will "feel" different depending on wind speed (that's why cooling fans work on coolers). The cooling fins are more efficient in the wind (radiation heat may be the same, but convection is not). However, you should choose your oil for the worst conditions, which is standing still with no air-speed.

btw

in the first series of the 1800 goldwing the van blew ""forward/ out to the front"" Huh...for example : at the speed of a Corso (bikemeeting) got any drivers heatproblems.....

I don't know what the development engineers thought at that
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 03:08 AM by alprider.)
01-11-2018 03:02 AM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
(01-11-2018 01:26 AM)jtopiso Wrote:  ....you should choose your oil for the worst conditions, which is standing still with no air-speed.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
01-11-2018 10:28 AM
bobS Offline
Break-In Period

Seattle
Made a trip to the Honda Powersport dealership because I wanted to be sure to get the right oil for my 2013 CB1100. The guy comes back with 10W-40. I tell him it says 10W-30 in the manual. He says " I know but they are telling us to use 10W-40 now." I question him a bit further. He is adamant. I buy the 10W-40. Driving home I'm thinking "who should I be listening to, the engineers in Japan who designed this bike and fully understand the difference between 10W-30 and 10W-40, or some kid in the parts department?" Either the engineers were wrong or oil has somehow changed or...
Does anyone have any insight or opinion on this? I'm thinking it is not a big deal and don't feel like driving back to exchange the oil so I'm going ahead with the oil change, but thought I'd check in with you all anyway.
Thanks!
bobS
05-05-2018 11:39 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Honda factory service manual says 10w-40 is fine. I've been using Shell Rotella 5w-40 T6 in mine since 2nd oil change with good result.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
05-05-2018 12:05 PM
bobS Offline
Break-In Period

Seattle
Thanks redbirds! Here is another "stupid" question from a guy with very little mechanic experience: Manual says to tighten the filter to 19 lbs/ft. Does anybody actually use a torque wrench on a filter? I didn't know such a thing existed...
05-05-2018 12:16 PM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
(05-05-2018 11:39 AM)bobS Wrote:  Made a trip to the Honda Powersport dealership because I wanted to be sure to get the right oil for my 2013 CB1100. The guy comes back with 10W-40. I tell him it says 10W-30 in the manual. He says " I know but they are telling us to use 10W-40 now." I question him a bit further. He is adamant. I buy the 10W-40. Driving home I'm thinking "who should I be listening to, the engineers in Japan who designed this bike and fully understand the difference between 10W-30 and 10W-40, or some kid in the parts department?" Either the engineers were wrong or oil has somehow changed or...
Does anyone have any insight or opinion on this?

Hsving no insight on which oil will work best in the CB1100 engine,.my 2013 Honda runs well since the 1.000km inspection with 10W40 half synthetic oil. The Honda dealer used it and I stick to it ever since over 45.000km. Of course I led the same debate with him asking for reasons why he is doing so and the manual is telling something different. He explained, if a Fireblade is running with 10W40, why can't a CB? That comparison was not so fitting, 'cause on the one you have a watercooled high reving sport engine on the other an aircooled motorbike with a somehow modest layout.

Nevertheless I keep to this specification and til yet it did the Honda no harm, not even showing signs of any oil consumption between oil change intervalls. I don't rev the Honda 'hard' and let the engine warm properly up on each ride, but do the change thing only every 12.000km instead of Honda's recommendation of 6.000km.

Wisedrum
05-05-2018 01:12 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(05-05-2018 12:16 PM)bobS Wrote:  Thanks redbirds! Here is another "stupid" question from a guy with very little mechanic experience: Manual says to tighten the filter to 19 lbs/ft. Does anybody actually use a torque wrench on a filter? I didn't know such a thing existed...

I do what I've always done, clean the mating surface on the motor and check that the old filter gasket came off with the old filter. Smear a little fresh oil on the sealer gasket of the new filter and tighten by hand as tight as I can.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
05-05-2018 02:40 PM
DaSwami Offline
Running Like a Top

Northwest Montana (again!)
Bringing this back... Redbirds...I find that interesting that the service manual says 10W/40 is fine, as the owner's manual in both the 2014 and the 2017 make no mention of any alternatives. Funny, as every other Japanese bike I've owned lists a viscosity range that is temperature dependent; we've all seen the horizontal "bar graphs" with arrows in the owner's manuals.

The owner's manuals say 10W/30, period.

I, too, worry about the ability of the thinner oil to hold up in the severe Florida summer heat.

Does the service manual make any mention of other weights of oil? Anybody want to post a pic of the relevant section so we can put this to rest?

Thanks...
06-07-2018 06:53 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Broken indicator lens
I’ve lost several of the earlier large . . .PowerDubs — 05:16 PM
Tire Options for our CB1100
Great looking bike! Love those gold w . . .mvk24 — 03:25 PM