Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moto Guzzi V85
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
RE: Moto Guzzi V85
I could pile on with the experiences I had with my two V7C's, but I won't. Needless to say, a third Guzzi is likely not in my future unless Piaggio North America gets serious and learns how to grow and support its US dealership network. Pity, too, because I loved those bikes.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
01-10-2018 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
Frulk Wrote:
Ferret, for some reason Guzzi Corporate HHQ gets some perverse sense of gratification from whipping the 14 people that will buy this bike into a long, agonizing frenzy of anticipation. Yeah, I’m betting on it.

Rboe replied:
I see way more Moto Guzzi Griso's in the Phoenix area than CB1100's. So I bet ten of those 14 live in the Phoenix area.

Rboe, I doubt you will see 10 of those Guzzi's in Phoenix as the number I quoted (14 units) was a guestimate for the total GLOBAL V85 sales to include the 3 North Korea will smuggle through a shell company to be used as experimental carrier based target drones and the 2 being imported by farmers in Croatia and the Basque region to till fields.

But, all SERIOUSNESS aside. I love the look of this bike and even the "athletic banana" color scheme doesn't put me off. I have a 4th and final slot to fill in the bike bay and it's designated for an ADV bike. I had toyed with the idea of a Stornello as it fit's everything that I wanted except for the fact some times I have to travel 250-300 miles to get to the area I want to ride off road in and passing comes up quite often. While the V7 is happy to ride at 80mph all day long passing power is an issue, let alone if I have it loaded down with ADV gear. Part of that problem could be resolved by me dropping some weight (I'm size Extra Husky). My opinion is that this is the bikes (not the marques, because it has many) only shortfall.

The V85 has yet to have some things clarified. I can't find reliable numbers for dry/wet weight. I think I read on WG that it does have an adjustable seat and that seat height was pretty low. I mentioned the Afrika Twin as being under consideration for slot 4. It is, but I'm not committed yet. I would love to see MG get a dealer back in SLC, UT because I'd prob make the move to the V85 (even if it was a little heavier as long as the CoG was there to offset the weight with lower seat height.

I've said it before. The CB1100 took the slot reserved for the Griso when the MG dealer folded up shop. Regrets about that? Absolutely none! But I would still like a Griso.

I think deep down inside I'm a Guzzi man with one of the best Honda motorcycles ever made.

Great to live in a time were we have options.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 06:55 PM by Frulk.)
01-10-2018 06:42 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Moto Guzzi V85
Owning any Guzzi is an adventure. I’m just trying to come to grips with who would actually buy this and use it as an ADV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
01-11-2018 07:37 AM
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
Capo. Your comment needs additional info for the end user to interpret it. Well, at least in my case it does.
01-11-2018 08:04 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
My take; similar to Suzuki's. Folks that buy adventure bikes are like people that buy big SUV's - and then never see dirt much less gravel. I've taken my Griso on dirt roads and she does pretty good. I think people under estimate what their bike can do off the paved road. Within reason. I'm toying with the idea of getting Avon Trailriders for the Griso.

I read somewhere else (guzzi page on Facebook perhaps?) that a Guzzi dealer said that bike will never see the light of day. They had asked their rep about it and they didn't even have a rumor to share. Since Guzzi dealers seem to be the last people to know about what Piaggio is up to this seems par for the coarse. I just hope it comes out before 2021.

There seems to be a small but significant subset of CB1100 owners and Griso owners that own both or have had both at one time or another. I'm one of them.

I stopped using WG a year ago November. Just way too much drama, not enough Guzzi stuff.

But. I ran across another Honda GB-500 and I'd love it if Honda would come out with that bike again - with EFI instead.

I"d like someone to reissue the Sunbeam S-7 in sage green too. And for Kawasaki to bring the W800 over to the States.

And flying cars. I was promised flying cars when I was a kid. Big Grin

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 08:50 AM by Rboe.)
01-15-2018 08:48 AM
DaSwami Offline
Running Like a Top

Northwest Montana (again!)
(01-10-2018 06:42 PM)Frulk Wrote:  I think deep down inside I'm a Guzzi man with one of the best Honda motorcycles ever made.

You are not alone! I have my eye on the V7III Milano....it's like an addiction. The new green V9 Roamer also floats my boat!
01-20-2018 08:44 AM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(01-20-2018 08:44 AM)DaSwami Wrote:  ... The new green V9 Roamer also floats my boat!

I think I know what you're saying. Seen one recently, sat on it, snapped a picture:

For some reason, as I was dismounting, the face and the figure of the most beautiful girl I ever dated flashed in my mind.

On one hand, I do remember her to this very day. On the other, that was less than happy experience in its totality...
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2018 10:33 AM by rotor.)
01-20-2018 10:32 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(01-20-2018 10:32 AM)rotor Wrote:  For some reason, as I was dismounting, the face and the figure of the most beautiful girl I ever dated flashed in my mind.

On one hand, I do remember her to this very day. On the other, that was less than happy experience in its totality...

ROFL a lot of girl/motorcycle experiences are like that

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-20-2018 11:02 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-20-2018 10:32 AM)rotor Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 08:44 AM)DaSwami Wrote:  ... The new green V9 Roamer also floats my boat!
For some reason, as I was dismounting, the face and the figure of the most beautiful girl I ever dated flashed in my mind.

On one hand, I do remember her to this very day. On the other, that was (a) less than happy experience in its totality...
Of course not. Otherwise you would have forgotten her.
01-20-2018 11:19 AM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(01-20-2018 11:19 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Of course not. Otherwise you would have forgotten her.
You give me too much credit, Ulvetanna. My simple mind is quite incapable of anything even remotely approaching The Sorrows of Young Werther. Come to think of it, it was probably those two magnificent Guzzi cylinders, protruding upward in a perfect symmetry of the en-face V2 configuration, that woke up of some dormant neuron of an old man's brain.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2018 01:19 PM by rotor.)
01-20-2018 01:07 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In th . . .Gone in 60 — 02:26 PM
Good story, Ferret. I had something sim . . .peterbaron — 02:10 PM