Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"What ever happened to... ?"
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I know that people come and go all the time on forums of any type. I don't get too worked up by this as I myself have been very active on some forums only to halt my participation for a variety of reasons. Sometimes this is due to a lack of interest and sometimes it is due to moving on to to other forums, and sometimes well who knows. But on a forum populated by motorcyclists, I do sometimes grow a bit more curious, wondering if someone who is no longer active posting here has perhaps lost interest (in this forum, in the CB1100, or possibly in motorcycles all together) or sadly perhaps something more unfortunate.

I started thinking about this again last night when I was searching for some older content and noticed a number of personalities that were once quite active here but no longer are. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who has such thoughts. Now if this were a really large forum with out so much of a "family feel" to it, such a thread might be pointless, but on a forum this size, who knows? The odds of a reply are probably still slim, but you never know.

Now anyone can go look at another user's profile to see when they were last active, but I was thinking about trying something a bit less impersonal. So I'll kick things off. (By the way, I could easily name many more personalities, but figured that I'd let others jump in.) Maybe some of these folks will respond, or perhaps someone here knows them personally and can provide and update of whether or not they are: Still riding? Moved on to another bike? Doing alright?

So what ever happened to: HikerToo?

He was pretty active here for quite a while. I'm hoping that all is well with you HikerToo. If you see this post, maybe you can let us know how things are going.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-12-2018 04:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: "What ever happened to... ?"
Lol Hiker Too has only been missing in action about 10 days ( he was last here Dec 30, 2017)

But I know what you mean. I think about members who seem to disappear quite often like Ears on Wheels. HE had a CB, then bought Geezers CB so he had 2, then bought a Suzuki TU250 and disappeared.

Mentallyguitarded

Scoobynut

Cip

Chapomis

To name a few

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-12-2018 04:17 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Yeah, I know it hasn't necessarily been all that long since a number of guys last checked in on the forum, but it has been a while since we've heard from them. So this is just kind of my way of asking "What's Up Fellas?", lol.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-12-2018 04:48 PM
activedirt Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
The original value of this forum for me was the much needed who-what-when-where of owning and operating a motor. It had been 40 years since I last owned one. I needed so much info and, reliable information at that. I was trying to avoid damage to my machine and to myself as well. Coming here felt safe and reliable. The web is so full of half truths and information influenced by someone trying to make a buck.

So basically once I filled that need I backed off my participation.

Maybe this forum needs a new "business" model.

2019 CB1000R
01-12-2018 07:26 PM
obleo Offline
Running Like a Top

Bartlett Tennessee
I don't think this forum needs a new business model . But you do have a valid point , some are here to mine information, others for the comardaie, me I am here for both. My query is where is Memphis Mike ? He's in my neck of the woods .
01-12-2018 07:45 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
What ever happened to Pterydactil?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 07:59 PM by EmptySea.)
01-12-2018 07:58 PM
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
ActiveDirt... how’s that Africa Twin working out for you?
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 08:45 PM by Frulk.)
01-12-2018 08:44 PM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
The web is so full of half truths and information influenced by someone trying to make a buck.

"Someone trying to make a buck"? Really? I think this forum is the absolute best of any forum I have every seen, made up of a bunch of great, intelligent, and friendly people. And it's run by and moderated by great people too.
01-12-2018 08:52 PM
Ben70 Offline
Running Like a Top

NCAL
Other someones, not this bunch.
Personally have wondered about Chip Beck who was quite active with his nice "Chip Beck spec" machine, but then he popped up a month or so ago. He did speculate, as I recall, that people tend to be more active when they are trying to get their machines "right". Then I guess he got his finished and has been rare since. Unfortunate because I enjoyed seeing the world from his perspective.
We could use a winter project narrative like PowerDubs "Dremeled My Sidecovers" (that line woke me up) to keep us going until spring, when we will see a resurgence of participation no doubt.
Even the lads from down under might be encountering some rough weather, with flyng foxes falling from the sky, boiled in flight.
Hope to get out myself this weekend for a photo for the Monthly Challenge.

Ben

01-12-2018 09:21 PM
activedirt Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
(01-12-2018 08:44 PM)Frulk Wrote:  ActiveDirt... how’s that Africa Twin working out for you?

Mine is the DCT version. I bought the DCT version thinking that If I don't experiment around now with different bikes ... Well father time does march on. Basically the bike is over-the-top, a very cool machine. Even the exhaust sound right. The DCT is great for dirt/gravel/mud etc.. especially when standing on the pegs. The more you slip and slide the more the "auto-transmission" makes life easier.

On pavement the DCT is so-so. I ride two bikes one with DCT and one without. So I have to go through this adjust period when I get back on the Africa Twin. If I don't adjust then stupid little things tend to happen.

All and all it is a really great bike. Me and the wife double up and it does the touring stuff fairly well.

In a money doesn't matter world I would have two Africa Twins, one with a standard transmission and the other with DCT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 CB1000R
01-12-2018 09:45 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>