Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Planning a Trip to the Blue Ridge area 09/6 to 09/10
misterprofessionality Online
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
Planning a Trip to the Blue Ridge area 09/6 to 09/10
As the title says, i'm riding up to stay in Asheville to explore the Blue Ridge area during the month of September. I used to live in Asheville, so I know my way around fairly well, but that was when I was a kid and there were no bikes in my life. I'm looking to take a number of rides along the parkway and some famous roads, along with hitting tourist spots for me and my wife to enjoy.

I'm just putting this here so that if anybody is in the area and wants to make plans to ride, I'm open to suggestions. The only things I'm scheduling for certain are a ride or two down 226A and 80, as well as hikes up Pisgah and Mitchell.

See you in the mountains! The ferret
04-16-2018 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Planning a Trip to the Blue Ridge area 09/6 to 09/10
Suggest you contact forum member 4Paws. He lives there and knows the area well. September is a good time to go, but there won't be much color change, There also won't be too many tourists or Leaf Hoppers, which is good. You might want to see Grandfather Mountain which is touristy but kinda cool.

I have ridden the BRP numerous times. 226A is a fun road, also ride Devil's Staircase and Murder Mountain Run. We have stayed at the Switzerland Inn and the Skyline Village Inn. One is a little fancier (maybe better for the Mrs) with an upscale restaurant on the grounds, the other geared towards motorcyclists (Skyline) with a pretty nice restaurant a short walk.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-16-2018 01:51 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
My group will be in the area about 3 weeks after that. Otherwise, we could meet up one for a day ride. Even if you are familiar with the area, you may want to buy some maps from https://americaridesmaps.com/ . They have proven very useful to me in planning routes. Too bad about the timing.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
04-16-2018 01:52 PM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
(04-16-2018 01:51 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Suggest you contact forum member 4Paws. He lives there and knows the area well. September is a good time to go, but there won't be much color change, There also won't be too many tourists or Leaf Hoppers, which is good. You might want to see Grandfather Mountain which is touristy but kinda cool.

I have ridden the BRP numerous times. 226A is a fun road, also ride Devil's Staircase and Murder Mountain Run. We have stayed at the Switzerland Inn and the Skyline Village Inn. One is a little fancier (maybe better for the Mrs) with an upscale restaurant on the grounds, the other geared towards motorcyclists (Skyline) with a pretty nice restaurant a short walk.

The MMR looks like a really good suggestion since we'll be in the area. Looks like the Devil's Staircase is actually 80, which i'd already planned to run. I knew it as the Whip. As for the Inns you mentioned, if we stop there it'll only be for a meal. We keep our bedrolls in AirBNB's because they're always a fraction of the price of a hotel. when i can get a private residence to myself for 50 bucks a night, even Motel 6 can't touch that, lol!

our choice of timing was no fluke. Fall time is too late because of the crowds and because my wife won't tolerate any significant chill in the air. I'm not so impressed by the foliage tbh, i just want the roads!

(04-16-2018 01:52 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  My group will be in the area about 3 weeks after that. Otherwise, we could meet up one for a day ride. Even if you are familiar with the area, you may want to buy some maps from https://americaridesmaps.com/ . They have proven very useful to me in planning routes. Too bad about the timing.

Too bad about the timing indeed. It's ok, i wasn't counting on it.

I won't need to buy any maps for this trip. i'm compiling a whole laundry list of maps from various sources around the net, and building an itinerary for the GPS. I won't miss a turn one. You're talkin' to a guy who took his wife to Disney and hit 5 parks in 5 days with zero downtime. BBR (bestbikingroads.com) in particular has been really helpful in finding those twisty roads that nobody knows about, and better routes to the ones people do know about. What i don't know is the best time of day to tackle famous roads like 226A, so as to avoid the crowds, trucks, and jerks, as it's really hard to find traffic density history for those roads online.
04-16-2018 02:57 PM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
Nice area to visit and a great timeframe.
Heres a few websites with some rides mapped out that are local to the area:
http://smokymountainrider.com/great-moto...cycle-map/
http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfAp...tRoads.htm
http://www.blueridgemotorcycling.com/ride-maps/
There is an overlook around Asheville that is on the Monarch Butterfly migration path, since I no longer remember the mile marker you'll have to do a bit of research but it can be an amazing place to stop the right time of the year.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
04-16-2018 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Re: 226A we were there first half of September and had the road and MM and others to our selves. Only light local traffic.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-16-2018 03:39 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
I live 5 miles south of the BRP in Arden , lets have contact near the time and I would like to meet you. John Houtman
04-16-2018 04:05 PM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
(04-16-2018 03:39 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Re: 226A we were there first half of September and had the road and MM and others to our selves. Only light local traffic.

This is very good news. having the road to myself is really all I want for Christmas. I'm a commuter, and I've got a ton of miles under me, but i very rarely get the chance to actually push my bike and enjoy the technique of riding. I'll be much happier this way. Banana

(04-16-2018 02:59 PM)4 Paws Wrote:  There is an overlook around Asheville that is on the Monarch Butterfly migration path,

Thank you for this mr. Paws. I will do the research. the wife will have a fit if we miss the butterflies.

(04-16-2018 04:05 PM)Houtman Wrote:  I live 5 miles south of the BRP in Arden , lets have contact near the time and I would like to meet you. John Houtman

will do John. Adam.Beer
04-16-2018 04:33 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Not to belabor the point, but I recommended the maps not for providing direction, but because he highlights the best roads in the area and you indicated that you had not been in the area in recent years. If I recall, the Smokey Mountain Rider blog that 4Paws mentioned is written by the guy that does these maps. I find the maps very useful in the planning phase, but I have not actually referenced them on the road.

I am confident that you will have a wonderful time exploring this area. Can't wait to read the ride report.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
04-16-2018 06:49 PM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
I see what you mean! Having only 3 days in the area, and then really only two days of dedicated riding, I've got to have a strong idea of exactly where I'm going and in what order. I think I have enough time for probably two good rides that I haven't yet determined with certainty (aside from MMR, 226A and 80). I suppose I was more concerned with personal anecdotes than anything in this phase, and of course i'm too big a hipster to just go and hit the "high spots."

Some of these rides my Wife will come along on Pillion and some of them she will trail behind in her Mini (she's dying to test the grip and torque in that thing), so there's loads to consider between now and then.
04-16-2018 07:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM

[-]