Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2013 CB1100 Rear Shocks - Adjustable KYB Reservoir shocks - CHEAP!
pekingduck Offline
Road Warrior

So Cal
2013 CB1100 Rear Shocks - Adjustable KYB Reservoir shocks - CHEAP!
My complaint about the stock shocks has been a little too much initial compression harshness. I've had Ohlins on other bikes, and they can be plush and firm at the same time, if adjusted properly (or terrible if not adjusted right).

Anyway, I wouldn't spend the money for Ohlins or Works Performance here, and really don't trust the sub-$100 adjustable Chinese copycat Ohlins, although they may be fine. The stock 2017 RS shocks are over $700 each retail AND have no dampening adjustments.

The circa-2000 Kawasaki ZRX1200R (Lawson Replica replicas) came with adjustable-damping attached-reservoir Kayabas (KYB) of the same length. I took a chance and bought a used pair off eBay for $200 plus shipping. All in at $250. I re-painted the springs and re-plated the adjuster hardware, changed the lower bushings, and bolted them on.

On my bike, for some reason, the silver grab handle on the right was a lot lower than the left - maybe 8mm. (The forward nut may have been welded a bit lower.) I had to grind away about 8mm of aluminum off the bottom for clearance. When fully compressed, the shock reservoir will angle up a bit, so it needs 4-5mm more to be safe.

I initially mounted them with the reservoirs facing forward, which looked and worked fine, but blocked seat lock key access.

I settled on the compression damping knob at 2 and the compression wheel at "III", and it feels fine, without the stock shocks' harshness when hitting tar strips or freeway section gaps.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 02:28 PM by pekingduck.)
04-15-2017 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
2013 CB1100 Rear Shocks - Adjustable KYB Reservoir shocks - CHEAP! - pekingduck - 04-15-2017 02:24 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
:rofl:The ferret — 06:04 PM
A new Camry should last till the next Ic . . .Gone in 60 — 05:39 PM
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM