Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
(05-06-2016 08:23 AM)Gumby 1100 Wrote:  Ulvetanna,

Do you have evidence to support your view and that the use of the O2 Sensor Eliminator WITHOUT the use of a Power Commander or ECU Reflash might be dangerous?...Because, there are a lot of CB1100 owners running these Eliminator plugs, and ALL have noticed a marked improvement in drivability. Are the typical PCV charts for the CB really adding much fuel in the upper RPM ranges?
The evidence is that good practice when making changes to fueling is to always do a dyno run with air/fuel ratio before and after making changes to ensure the change has not adversely impacted performance or durability.

So the burden of proof lies on the entity promoting the product; without assurances that the elimination of sensor will not harm the engine - in the form of a proper dyno chart - there is no way to really know what's transpiring other than to take the word of the vendor.

Now I will also say it appears absurd that the O2 sensor does nothing but allow the bike to pass an emissions test; the standard line of thinking provides that the sensor will compensate for any type of slip-on or air filter change, obviating the need for a reflash or retune. This has been a widely-held understanding since the days that EFI become the rule for motorcycles, rather than the exception.

If the sensor performs as described in the earlier post, this would be untrue. But countless dyno runs done with many aftermarket slip-ons have shown adjustments made by the ECU to compensate for these mods. At least, this is what we have been given to understand all these years.

If the sensor did nothing above a high idle, no compensation would be possible due to altitude or for a leaner condition due to a high-flow air filter or less restrictive slip-on. So how would a bike owned by a guy in Denver CO (5,000' MSL), or, say Wrightwood CA (7000' MSL) possibly be able to run properly with a correct A/F ratio? Only two ways: either there is a temperature compensated altimeter built into the bike somewhere, or the O2 sensor adjusts for altitude throughout the entire RPM range.

Again, the burden of proof is with the vendor. Accept these things on faith at some risk.

I don't doubt that the bikes "feel" better; that would suggest to me that they are running perhaps lean, because the engine will make more power with an A/F ratio on the lean side. I've rejetted many a motorcycle with carburetors and this is always the case, but it's not good for the engine, especially for an air-cooled bike. So, yeah, it runs better and stronger, but what do the plugs look like? Anyone even ever pull them to see?
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 08:40 PM by Ulvetanna.)
05-06-2016 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
So, really no evidence then.

Perhaps someone who has installed this could provide us with how many miles they have put on the bike since installation and any negative consequences they have uncovered.

Oh..and one more question which may have been answered, but I can't find it: what if one just unplugged the O2 sensor and did not install anything? Would the bike explode or anything?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 09:08 PM by EmptySea.)
05-06-2016 08:51 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
I can't speak to the CB, but after reading glowing testimonials on installing O2 Eliminators on the Moto Guzzi V7 Classic, I decided to buy one (a "Fat Duc"). Easy, two-minute Plug-n-Play job. I noticed no difference in engine responsiveness or performance, but my wallet was lighter.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
05-06-2016 09:36 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Were you having any issues prior to the installation, LR?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
05-06-2016 09:39 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(05-06-2016 08:51 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  So, really no evidence then.

Perhaps someone who has installed this could provide us with how many miles they have put on the bike since installation and any negative consequences they have uncovered.

Oh..and one more question which may have been answered, but I can't find it: what if one just unplugged the O2 sensor and did not install anything? Would the bike explode or anything?
It would throw a fault code and go into a "limp" mode.

Even a spark plug check would give some information as to what this thing actually does. That would be a pain, but that's what we used to do.

What with all the guys using Power Commanders and such, you'd think someone would weigh in about what's going on.

I shoulda said, obviously the bike has no altimeter so the O2 sensor is how it adjusts to altitude.

In the day, above a certain altitude, bikes were rejetted and retuned to run properly. Otherwise they'll run very rich.

Another part of the O2 sensor's job is to maintain the proper emissions performance over time. As the engine wears in, the ECU can make slight changes to compensate. Without it you have a fixed map.
05-06-2016 10:00 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Honda's PGM-FI system does not rely on the exhaust side O2 sensor for altitude adjustment. Instead, it does indeed include a altimeter in the form of an atmospheric pressure sensor. The O2 sensor is basically there to lean out the air/fuel ratio as much as possible under certain circumstances in conjunction with the catalytic converter for reduced emissions purposes.

Most fueling adjustments are made on the intake side of things, based on calculations involving other various sensor inputs including intake-port pressure, engine coolant temperature, intake-air temperature and the previously mentioned atmospheric (barometric) pressure.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
05-07-2016 03:44 AM
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(05-07-2016 03:44 AM)Guth Wrote:  Honda's PGM-FI system does not rely on the exhaust side O2 sensor for altitude adjustment. Instead, it does indeed include a altimeter in the form of an atmospheric pressure sensor. The O2 sensor is basically there to lean out the air/fuel ratio as much as possible under certain circumstances in conjunction with the catalytic converter for reduced emissions purposes.

Most fueling adjustments are made on the intake side of things, based on calculations involving other various sensor inputs including intake-port pressure, engine coolant temperature, intake-air temperature and the previously mentioned atmospheric (barometric) pressure.

Exactly!...that is why the CB only has a "Narrow Band 02 Lambda Sensor". Narrow Band Sensors only have enough range and precision to function in an emissions testing capacity.

Only a "Wide Band Sensor" like those used in Power Commander's Auto Tune Systems could possibly do all of the things Ulvetanna is assuming.

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
05-07-2016 04:59 AM
Nemo Offline
High Mileage

Jacksonville, FL
Guth,

How many miles ago did you install the eliminator on your CB? Any perceptible effect?

Thanks,

N

“It is easier for me to be forgiving of the stupid than of the evil."
EmptySea

#BLACKBIKESMATTER
05-07-2016 05:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
I installed the sensor eliminator about a year ago. Noticed better throttle response at low engine speed. No ill effects.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
05-07-2016 06:34 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Oh. To both Guth and Redbirds (and anyone else replying): Are you running the stock ECU?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
05-07-2016 08:19 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>