Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How To replace your Spark Plugs
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Honda Service manual calls for inspection every 4,000 and replacement every 8,000 (Which is just nuts IMO) but that’s what the manual calls for. I inspected and replaced mine at 26,000 miles. The bike was still starting and running good and fuel mileage hadn’t gone down but I have come to replacing plugs and air cleaners every 25,000 miles on my Honda motorcycles out of habit/personal experience. Use your conscious as your guide or be safe and follow the manual’s recommendation.

These are special plugs, very skinny, very long reach and with a special sealing washer, which we have discussed at length here:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....park+plugs

Tools needed:
Air hose with spray nozzel
Stock Honda spark plug wrench or Motion Pro equivalent (what we are using here)
14 mm box end wrench
Spark plug gapping tool
4 Honda Spark plugs LMAR8A-9S Honda Part Number 31908-MGC-003

Start by putting the bike on the center stand. We started on the left side of the bike but that really is unimportant.

First thing you need to do is check the gap on the new plugs. Spec calls for .031-.035. Mine all came out of the box from the factory at .033. We re-gapped them to .031 to allow for wear down the road.

Take an air nozzel and spray the outside plug cavity to remove any debris. We don’t want any of that falling into the spark plug hole once the plug is removed.

Take off the outside spark plug cap and slide spark plug tool over the plug. Remove using 14 mm box end wrench. We also used a swivel head long handled ¼” drive ratchet since we had one available, but ended up using both tools as was necessary.

Inspect removed plug. As you can see mine was still in good shape, had a nice tan color on the ceramic, but gap had opened up to .037 (as electode and ceramic wore over time). These could have been wire brushed clean, gap reset to factory spec and reinstalled. However as per my practice after 25,000 miles I went with new plugs.

With outside plug removed we had good access to the inside plug. Be sure and stuff some wadded up paper towel into the outside spark plug hole so nothing gets down in that cylinder, and again use spray nozzle to blow out any debris from spark plug cavities. Remove spark plug cap from inside plug.

A note here, if you have large hands there is not a lot of room to work on the inside plug.

Use your spark plug wrench and 14mm box wrench to loosen and remove inside plug. The Motion Pro tool has a rubber gripper inside which makes plug removal and installation easier than the factory spark plug tool.

Install the rear spark plug. Torque spec is 12 ft lbs on a spark plug. We couldn’t figure any way to get a measurement on this given the small confines of the space to work in. So we ran the plugs in until they touched then gave them a bit more, snugging them up. You certainly don’t want to over tighten them and risk stripping the threads of the spark plug hole. Reinstall rear spark plug cap.

Remove the paper towel from the outside spark plug hole, and install a plug there. Install the spark plug cap.

Move to the other side of the bike and repeat the process for that side’s two plugs

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-19-2016 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
RE: How To replace your Spark Plugs
You always do a great job on these tutorials ferret.
Thanks for posting Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
10-19-2016 07:22 AM
Pauley Offline
Running Like a Top

SF Bay Area, CA
Awesome tutorial. Looks like a straight forward job. Thanks.
10-19-2016 07:34 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Thanks Ferret, great job. Do you have a tutorial for changing the plugs on a F800GT? I need one!

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
10-19-2016 03:32 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Good job. Now how about a valve check tutorial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
10-19-2016 07:43 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
There are people on this forum capable of doing such a tute but I am not one of them. I can handle the common 90% stuff of what needs to be done to keep a bike going, but valve adjustments are beyond me.

i would hope someday, someone on this forum would do a step by step tute with pics describing that process in simple terms someone like me could follow.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-19-2016 07:53 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
(10-19-2016 07:43 PM)Elipten Wrote:  Good job. Now how about a valve check tutorial.

I 2nd that .
thanks for all the effort and tips you give us , the only tip i have is don't lean closely over any power tools !!!! Thumbs Up

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
10-19-2016 08:04 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
One day if I get to ride it enough, I will get to doing one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
10-19-2016 08:11 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
Nice job, Ferret. Nice to see that tank removal isn't necessary to access the inside plugs. I also like the raised area where the plugs screw in. Better to keep any debris left in the plug well out of the hole.

Plug changing on my CB750 requires tank removal and the plug holes are flush with the bottom of the wells. I once had a tiny pebble that survived the blowing process drop into the cylinder as the plug came out. It took several hours with a telescoping rod and some chewing gum to get it out.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
10-19-2016 08:17 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Excellent post ferret.Thumbs Up

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
10-19-2016 08:33 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>