Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Hunting rpm
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Hunting rpm
And why? Never heard of that procedure before.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-20-2016 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnf514 Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
I should have been more clear in my post. This is not CB1100 specific, however this is something I have done on other bikes before to clear up issues that seemed to originate from the electronics.

On many vehicles with an on-board computer, you can soft reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and holding down the brake lever to dissipate any remaining charge. While this won't delete any codes, it usually erases all vehicle specific data, like any driver-learned behaviors.

This might not make a difference, this might make a world of difference. It's an easy procedure to complete and there is no downside to completing it. Lastly, I apologize for stirring the water here. Not trying to cause any issues with anyone's ride.
12-20-2016 02:36 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
No need for an apology, John. I hadn't heard of this before and it seems others hadn't either. Good information to have and I for one will be interested to hear the results if anyone tries it on a CB1100.
12-20-2016 05:32 PM
Rolls Offline
High Mileage

Belmont, CA
Yes, at first when you talk about the brake lever, it seems like a very bike-specific set of steps. But when you remind us that the brake is just to drain any last bit of charge out of the system, the whole procedure comes into focus. Thanks, John.
12-20-2016 06:43 PM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
Idle speed update: I replaced my battery today because the original battery tested bad (bike failed to restart when I shut it off in an intersection because I was tired of the 1,500 RPM idle at the stop light), and now my high RPM idle problem is gone! I am NOT saying that replacing the battery cured the problem, because it may just be a coincidence, and my high/low RPM idle problem has come and gone before. I only rode it around at slow stop-and-go speeds for 10 miles because it was beginning to rain, but at each stop it returned nicely to a 1,050 RPM idle. I am as baffled with this as you who are reading this, but I am just reporting the facts. I was all set to replace the IACV, but now I will hold off (John, the sound of my IACV when I turn the key on is still much quieter than yours with the new battery, but I think yours sounds the way it should, and mine doesn't for some reason). I will keep this thread updated, but the bike will remained parked after tomorrow for a while as we will be out of town - hopefully it won't be raining tomorrow and I can put some more miles on it.
12-21-2016 07:31 PM
johnf514 Offline
1st Service Completed

Orlando
Dave, I'm happy to hear that the issue has disappeared. Hopefully this is a permanent resolution, as my bike never reverted back to regular idle (and had a faulty IACV motor). I'm thinking maybe yours was getting low voltage from the battery? Just hypothesizing.

Here's to a perfectly idle motorcycle. Smile
12-22-2016 07:24 AM
736cc Offline
Running Like a Top

NY
My 2013 CB1100 w/ 19,000 flawless miles hadn't been ridden or started in almost 3 weeks and battery for first time ever was not cranking the starter as vigorously as usual (original battery 3 1/2 years old). It took about half dozen attempts and within 3-4 minutes it started but idling at 2000 rpm. A few rides later (and trickle charge) it starts instantly still idled at 2000 cold, then 1200 warmed up. It also idled higher in gear than in neutral! Never stalled btw. Did the key on and twist throttle routine and it idled correct again. I am getting a new modern lightweight battery and theorize a weak battery caused this issue on mine and MAYBE other CB1100's.
The computer on modern bikes is always draining the battery even while key is off. Clock, etc. Makes sense a healthy battery is part of the equation.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2016 08:53 AM by 736cc.)
12-22-2016 08:51 AM
beardyweirdy@me.com Offline
Running Like a Top

London
This could explain why people start to get this problem suddenly after a year or two of trouble free riding, when their battery looses power.
I also, along with others have only had the problem after riding thru town for 20-30mim, at low revs. At very low revs the alternator may not be producing enough power to keep the battery topped up enough and it throws up a problem.
Just Sayin....
12-31-2016 06:16 PM
Macenthor Offline
1st Service Completed

Sebastian, Fl
Does this annoying problem hurt the motor or other components in anyway???? I live in Florida, have had the bike since September. It just started this issue ones the weather got cooler. I have noticed that she purrs when it's warm out.
12-31-2016 09:02 PM
beardyweirdy@me.com Offline
Running Like a Top

London
(12-31-2016 09:02 PM)Macenthor Wrote:  Does this annoying problem hurt the motor or other components in anyway???? I live in Florida, have had the bike since September. It just started this issue ones the weather got cooler. I have noticed that she purrs when it's warm out.

I've had problems with mine for over a year and it hasn't caused me any other problems that I know of. If I turn the ignition off then restart the bike, the problem goes away. Odd I know....

Mine has the problem in hot and cold climates, dry and damp... for me, it's all about dribbling along on low revs for a period of time.

Dave reported recently that he changed his battery and everything was good again. Could have been a coincidence, as it's an intermittent prob. but sounds like a few others have had the same issue as their battery gets weak. I'll be changing mine soon and I'll see what happens.
It would be nice to know why tho. I'm also waiting for my Honda dealer in the U.K. to get back to me with news of the updated ECU map.
Shame, it's a nigling problem on an otherwise reliable bike. It's easy to spot tho and fairly predictable. The power cycle seems to sort it....
01-01-2017 03:23 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM