Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
RE: Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
Installed then rode around the neighborhood a while, initial impression was it was a bit smoother. Took the bike on a 1600 mile jaunt and tried to pay attention to "my latest mod", yeah it does make it a bit smoother. My gas mileage is still excellent, consistently in the lower to mid 50's.

If I had the skills necessary I'd do Aussieflyer's mod, but I don't.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
09-27-2016 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol... 1600 miles is a pretty good jaunt

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-27-2016 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeya Offline
Break-In Period

Singapore
Hi guys, im riding the RS and i just put on the o2 eliminators. Bike feels much more responsive but it could be a placebo. Anyways, after 30mins i started getting am efi light. Bike runs fine. Just the light. Anyone else have this problem? How do i get rid of the fault light?
10-29-2017 11:18 AM
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(10-29-2017 11:18 AM)Jeya Wrote:  Hi guys, im riding the RS and i just put on the o2 eliminators. Bike feels much more responsive but it could be a placebo. Anyways, after 30mins i started getting am efi light. Bike runs fine. Just the light. Anyone else have this problem? How do i get rid of the fault light?

You wrote "eliminators" (plural), so I am assuming you installed 2 plugs, ONE for each O2 Sensor. I have a single sensor on my 2014 Canadian, so it was easy to follow the lead from the sensor in the exhaust up to the connection behind the right side cover. With my bike the change was drastic and noticeably better, with engine braking reduced significantly making slow speed driving much more enjoyable. That may only be the case, however with the 4 into 1 exhaust. The affect on bikes with 4 into 2 (dual mufflers) may not be as noticeable.

Am I correct in understanding that the RS has the left bank sensor connector behind the left side cover and the right bank sensor connector behind the right side cover?

I think that the only time someone got an EFI light was when the Plug was put in the wrong location or they only installed ONE Plug on a bike that required TWO.

NOTE: There are at least two connectors behind the right side cover that look very similar...Only one of them leads to the O2 Sensor in the exhaust.

Hope this helps!

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
10-29-2017 11:50 AM
Jeya Offline
Break-In Period

Singapore
Yeah i have 2. I might go trace the wires again after you mentioned that some connectors look the same. But what i find funny is that i only got a fault light 30mins into riding and not immediately. Hmm.. suddenly i miss carbs haha
10-29-2017 07:31 PM
peterbaron Online
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
Playing with 02 sensor
What may happen to your bike if you take modification into your own hands without proper/technical knowledge....

"...O2 sensor works by constantly sending signal to ECU/ECM/PCM to help vehicle run efficiently as well as to reduce emissions...
... improperly working O2 results vehicle in running less efficiently...
....the wrong mix of gasoline and oxygen can increase pollutants that exit your bike exhaust, thereby harming the environment, as well as potentially causing your catalytic converter to fail or even damage your engine...."

>>>>>>> #1 CATALITIC CONVERTER KILLER IS HC <<<<<<<<<<<<

".... a properly working oxygen sensor is a necessity for any vehicle....."

I know , I will face a lot of criticism but at least, I told you the truth....

Good luck!!

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2017 07:21 AM by peterbaron.)
10-30-2017 07:03 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
My understanding is that the O2 sensor on the CB is there to allow a rich condition at startup and a lean condition as the motor warms. I replaced mine with an O2 emulator 2 years ago. It rid the bike of a slight stumble at low speed and part throttle. Bike runs better and fuel mileage has been unaffected.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
10-30-2017 10:07 AM
itstuantran Offline
1st Service Completed

Vietnam
Jeya, any updates? I'm riding the 2017 RS as well and have ordered a pair, dont know if your EFI indicator still lights up?
Thanks
(10-29-2017 07:31 PM)Jeya Wrote:  Yeah i have 2. I might go trace the wires again after you mentioned that some connectors look the same. But what i find funny is that i only got a fault light 30mins into riding and not immediately. Hmm.. suddenly i miss carbs haha
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 07:23 PM by itstuantran.)
12-10-2017 07:22 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I'm also curious to know how Jeya is getting along.

(10-30-2017 10:07 AM)redbirds Wrote:  My understanding is that the O2 sensor on the CB is there to allow a rich condition at startup and a lean condition as the motor warms. I replaced mine with an O2 emulator 2 years ago. It rid the bike of a slight stumble at low speed and part throttle. Bike runs better and fuel mileage has been unaffected.

Ditto.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-10-2017 07:57 PM
2017CB1100EX-STL Offline
Break-In Period

Saint Louis, MO. USA
Is there something like this for the 2017EX? I am experiencing the same problem and it is really unacceptable i.e. feathering the clutch and trying not to move the throttle more than a degree or two or opening super slowly when cornering to avoid jerking the bike. It seems ridiculous that this is even an issue and I was going to make a separate thread but looks like this is common. Is relief available?

(09-21-2015 03:15 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Thanks to Gumby 1100 for this How To and to Siggy Javotnik for the explanation directly below

1. Installing an O2 eliminator (a resistor) can soften snatchy throttle response, especially at small throttle openings or on/off throttle. It can also fix the hunting/surging that some folks experience at small throttle openings.

2. It is not necessary to physically remove the O2 sensor, and it's a royal PITA to do so unless you have the right slotted wrench. (This is somewhat controversial -- some people posit that physical removal is smart because the O2 sensor will "fail" if it's not connected to the ECU. I respectfully disagree, because I can't see why that would be true. The O2 sensor is not heated or cleaned by dint of being hooked up to the ECU).

3. Installing an O2 eliminator will make your bike run richer and therefore cooler and may slightly adversely affect fuel economy (I found it negligible or non-existent, but YMMV. In fact, I experienced a slight increase in fuel economy, but that makes zero sense and I can't explain it so I chalk it up to user error).

4. If your bike fuels nicely with the stock setup, don't bother with the O2 eliminator. If, on the other hand, you have fueling problems at low throttle, it's a cheap experiment to see if it fixes the problem (it seems like it usually does).

5. Many aftermarket or race exhaust systems require or include an O2 eliminator, and simply do not have a physical threaded hole for the O2 sensor.

Siggy

After delaying the install of my O2 Eliminator Plug for several months (long enough to do the_undecider proud), I cannot believe that I waited this long!

I bought it on a whim because I never thought that I had any real fueling issues...no real surging (speed/rpm fluctuations) or low speed drivability issues....or so I thought. Adding this simple plug was literally like installing a poor man's Power Commander!

I realize now that the O2 sensor was causing the fueling to lean out or shut off abruptly every time I rolled off the throttle. With the plug, shifting is now much easier to rev match and engine braking is reduced which greatly smooths out the driving experience.

Previously, driving at low speeds in first and especially in second was harsh, raspy and abrupt (clearly it was running too lean). I had to formerly stay on the throttle and precisely balance clutch feathering, especially when cornering, but no more. I can now effortlessly tool around in second and cornering is much more relaxing.

After one tank of gas, my mileage does not seem to have dropped off noticeably, if at all...more driving will be required, and it will definitely be more enjoyable!

Arguably, an O2 Eliminator Plug is the best bang for the buck on a CB1100. Even as just an experiment, it is well worth the few dollars and the few minutes it takes to install.

PART:

O2 Sensor Eliminator Plug Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/o2-Oxygen-Lamb...339ac11f47

PROCESS:

I found the photos on the UK forum, hopefully they show enough detail...if not, I'll take some of my own ( see photos in following post)

In short:

1) Remove Right Side Cover
2) Disconnect O2 Lambda Sensor (Trace the line down to the header just to be safe and to be sure it is the right connector)
3) Plug in the Sensor Eliminator
4) I Put a small plastic bag over the side of the connector leading to the O2 Lambda Sensor to keep moisture out and in case I needed to reconnect it (such as if an EPA emissions test was ever required).

On my 2014 Canadian, the O2 Sensor Lead insulation was black and weave-textured too. The other lead in the same clear shroud had a white P/N tag on it that may have read: 32102-MGC-N300 which I think, is ABS related.

Gumby 1100
07-18-2018 01:20 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Today's weather (same system as PB) was . . .GoldOxide — 03:10 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Talk about dreaming of owning somethin . . .GoldOxide — 03:09 PM