Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windshield Hell
jdinaz Offline
1st Service Completed

Arizona
Windshield Hell
I'm on my 3rd shield, just looking for something decent. The most recent one that's on the bike now is the 22" Parabellum Sport Shield, I took it down the hwy at speeds up to 65MPH and starting about 50, my helmet was vibrating so bad everything was a blur. Not what I expected. I'm not sure if one of the shield extensions would help any or if I would be wasting money trying one. Has anyone tried the extensions? The local dealer claims it is the best and only solution. I may go back to one of the shorter shield choices and forget about it. Frustrating.

John
2014 CB1100 Deluxe #00038
12-03-2017 04:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chync Offline
Running Like a Top

Charlotte North Carolina
Windshield Hell
I used an add on to a windshield that was causing the same problem for me. It was another bike. I used one from Laminar Lip. They are a u.s. company in CA I believe. You should check out their site because they have some info that illustrates the problem. I think that may help in identifying a solution.

A properly shaped windshield for minimizing turbulence maybe hard to find but a short screen that puts the air at the top of the chest is also a good solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-03-2017 04:54 PM
Houtman Online
Been There

NC USA
RE: Windshield Hell
I never had a shield on any of my bikes and still feel that I do not need one even at 80 mph. Also do not care for the looks of (most) of them.
12-03-2017 05:23 PM
jdinaz Offline
1st Service Completed

Arizona
I agree, I failed to mention the looks of a 22 inch shield. Not good. It's likely going back this week. And I'm not sure what it is, but I was always more excited about riding when it was naked with no shield. Most of the small ones look pretty good though.

John
12-03-2017 05:28 PM
dwcurton Offline
Break-In Period

League City Texas
Windshield Hell
I have the Parabellum sport fairing with the 22" shield and it's a very calm ride. I don't understand how you get that bad a helmet shake. I'm 5'10" and ride in a fairly upright position. Are you sure it's mounted correctly? I've ridden at speeds up to 100 mph with no issue on mine. Sorry for your problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
12-03-2017 07:40 PM
tinboatcapt Offline
1st Service Completed

Minnesota, USA
I put a parabellum sport shield on my ST1100 and found the best ride was without the second add on extension. The short shield with a full face helmet was the best solution for the turbulence.
For longer trips with a high probability of bad weather I ride with a tall shield that has a bit of turbulence but offers better weather protection. I just live with the turbulence as a trade off for relief from rain.
Jim

2014 CB1100 Std
2000 ST1100
1981 CB650C
12-03-2017 08:02 PM
jdinaz Offline
1st Service Completed

Arizona
(12-03-2017 07:40 PM)dwcurton Wrote:  I have the Parabellum sport fairing with the 22" shield and it's a very calm ride. I don't understand how you get that bad a helmet shake. I'm 5'10" and ride in a fairly upright position. Are you sure it's mounted correctly? I've ridden at speeds up to 100 mph with no issue on mine. Sorry for your problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks dw, there's really only one way to mount it, but I am going to call Parabellum tomorrow and see what they suggest, I'm 6' but even riding leaning over a bit didn't change much. That kind of shake makes for a miserable ride. I'm wondering if somehow the helmet is contributing to it.

John
12-04-2017 01:44 AM
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

The MRA X-creen Tour was the solution for me to eliminate buffeting and a lot of noise (I am 6'-1" Tall).

Even with this it still was not perfect, and it looks...well, you be the judge Wink

The CB1100 was the worst bike I have owned for buffeting and wind noise with a windshield. As many have noted, it looks best WITHOUT a shield and is somewhat quieter.

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
12-04-2017 04:46 AM
dwcurton Offline
Break-In Period

League City Texas
There's several members who have taken the old Vetter fairings and fixed them up with their CB1100's. Looks good, plus the old Vetter Windjammer was an excellent highway wind protection. I'd drop a bundle of cash on the first outfit to start making those new again!

I've spent way more time than normal looking through eBay for old versions, but just don't have the time to do all the work. Maybe when I win the lotto and retire.
12-04-2017 06:54 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(12-04-2017 06:54 AM)dwcurton Wrote:  There's several members who have taken the old Vetter fairings and fixed them up with their CB1100's. Looks good, plus the old Vetter Windjammer was an excellent highway wind protection. I'd drop a bundle of cash on the first outfit to start making those new again!

I've spent way more time than normal looking through eBay for old versions, but just don't have the time to do all the work. Maybe when I win the lotto and retire.

Me also. There has never been a better fairing. I've had two Windjammers and nothing compares.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
12-04-2017 07:20 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Weather is pretty consistent now. The c . . .GoldOxide — 02:59 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In th . . .Gone in 60 — 02:26 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition