Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2017 CB1100ex Bennetts "Real World test"
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RE: 2017 CB1100ex Bennetts "Real World test"
I seldom use 6th gear on my twisty backroads. 5th gear is more responsive both accelerating and decelerating. I only use 6th to save gas on boring straight roads or 4 lane highways. Even on them more than 1/2 of the RPM range would guarantee a speeding ticket.

So I agree with Honda's thinking that a useable wide torque range in all gears for this motorcycle, is better than an unusable top end high in the RPM range. As the constant use of high RPMs would create more heat, that would also be hard on an engine that is air and oil cooled.

Some may not want to accept it, but this motorcycle is designed for mature motorcyclists who's knee dragging days are behind them. If you remember what a CB looked like in the 70s, you are probably 60 years old or more. We bought this expensive retro motorcycle because of its looks and inline 4 cylinder engine. If we wanted a sport bike, we wouldn't buy something that weighs 560 pounds and cranks out less than 90 horsepower.

Some of the journalist get it, because if they know the history of the CB they are probably enjoying their golden years as well.

2017 CB1100 EX
10-03-2017 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tate Offline
1st Service Completed

north mississippi
(07-18-2017 01:34 PM)curlyjoe Wrote:  Yeah it always seems to come back to "too heavy" and not enough peak horsepower.

My simple understanding is peak HP relates to top speed and torque relates to acceleration. The fact that the CB1100 has such a nice flat torque curve makes this rider quite happy.

Lest we forget, the CB1100 is pretty good at the drag strip.

That is pretty dog gone impressive rite there The ferret
12-25-2017 12:56 PM
Acrobat Offline
1st Service Completed

Chios, Greece

12-27-2017 04:00 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(10-03-2017 09:54 AM)Nortoon Wrote:  If we wanted a sport bike, we wouldn't buy something that weighs 560 pounds and cranks out less than 90 horsepower.

Some of the journalist get it, because if they know the history of the CB they are probably enjoying their golden years as well.
Most journalists don't get it, maybe. That was what we were discussing in the Z900RS thread; most journalists DO get the Z900RS because it really offers even more outright performance than a Yamaha FZ-09. The way these guys test is to go out on some public road and haul the mail, and the guy on the slowest bike doesn't usually like the outcome. I've been on quite of few of these "journalistic" tests myself, at the track and on the road, and the inside joke is that this is the "journalist GP".

Therefore, the slowest bike usually ends up in last place in the shootout.

All that said, I treated my CB1100 like a sportbike from day one and once it was set up, it handled very well. That's one reason I am now pondering another; I'd like second run with that bike, with the improvements.

I suppose the bike becomes whatever its owner imagines it to be. If it be true, as Ferret states, that few CB1100 owners will ever get close to redline or ride the bike hard, that doesn't mean that those of use who DO ride like that are doing something reckless, ill-advised, or stupid, lol! We are just enjoying the bike the way we want to, because after all, we paid the price of admission like everyone else.

A fellow "journalist" I knew pretty well, who was once the editor of one of the biggest printed mags in the US, said he was always intrigued by other riders who said he rode "crazy". (I know the weekend he won the open-class vintage race at Daytona, at the AHRMA event, he was definitely riding crazy.). His take on this was that if he was faster or out front, he was crazy, and those bringing up the rear were "sensible."

I think CB1100 owners span the range from crazy to sensible and everything in between. Even if we "crazies" are the outliers, we're still part of the scene.
12-27-2017 04:18 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(12-27-2017 04:18 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  If it be true, as Ferret states, that few CB1100 owners will ever get close to redline or ride the bike hard, that doesn't mean that those of use who DO ride like that are doing something reckless, ill-advised, or stupid, lol!

Well okay then. By the way, I couldn't help but notice that one notable word you left out was illegal. ROFL

Ride on Ulvetanna! Ride on! (hummed to the tune of Bo Diddly's "Ride On Josephine"). The ferret The ferret The ferret

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-27-2017 06:28 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
I like your post Ulvetanna. I agree it’s likely CB1100 owners will span the range; I agree each of them is part of the scene; I accept not all riders who ride their CB like a sports bike are reckless, ill advised or stupid and that they have every right to do precisely what they want with their bike. Good luck to everyone.

Those of us not too exercised by power and speed and sportiness have an issue with moto journalists: from our perspective, they seem to take a rather narrow view. The bike under review may be beautiful, but if it isn’t bigger, better, faster than the one you have, it’s not worth a candle. (Yes, I know that's a generalisation.) The fact that bike sales appear to reflect their views could mean either that readers are sheep or that moto journalists have a good understanding of what riders want. I don’t know the answer to that.

I suspect the problem for those of us who love the CB1100 (or any other bike that doesn't light us up) is that we’re hurt when those we hope will ‘be in the know’ fail to appreciate the object of our affection.

I've come to the view we just have to suck it up and enjoy our bikes for whatever reason on your scale attracted us.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 01:54 PM by Cormanus.)
12-28-2017 02:10 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I don't tend to lump all moto journalists into the same heap. I find that I tend to appreciate some more than others. I might not concur with them all, but I do find that I'll come to ignore a large number of them while seeking out a select few. I also appreciate the fact that the internet has provided a larger/wider voice to a number of individuals that otherwise would never be heard, this is where much of the more refreshing content seems to be coming from lately. Still, I do miss the days when I use to read magazines more often and looked forward to doing so.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-28-2017 03:49 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
You're quite right, Guth. I made a sweeping generalisation to try to make a point about negative reviews of bikes we don't like.

There are some fine motorcycle writers about.
12-28-2017 01:57 PM
bflint Offline
Running Like a Top

san diego
Spot on "Ulvetanna". Although my only knee draggin back in the 70's was when I went down in the dirt (only 1 broken arm). I was still an old guy rider when I was in my 20's. Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 03:36 PM by bflint.)
12-28-2017 03:35 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
My gripe with moto journalists is they spend so little time testing a bike, and never really learn their quirks, only what they can glean from a 75 mile ride with stops for pictures. They don't mention how hard they are to change oil and filter or air cleaner, or adjust the chain or add air to the tires even... they don't mention if a passenger fits or is comfortable. Things that are important to potential buyers. How would they know if a seat is comfortable when they ride 20 miles stop for pictures, ride 20 miles stop for lunch, 20 miles stop for pictures etc? The new Goldwing report was written based on a dozen laps combined around a race course on 2 different gens of Goldwing, old and new, so 1/2 dozen 3 or 4 mile high speed laps on a smooth surface.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-28-2017 03:37 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>