Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CB1100 Type II Conversion
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
CB1100 Type II Conversion
Q: What is the most novel lunch break / diet idea ever?

A: Play with new motorcycle parts instead of eating food, lol.

OK, I was definitely not expecting my delivery from Mr. T (Samurider.com) to arrive so quickly with potential holiday induced interruptions to service, etc.. Which made it all the more surprising when I answered the door this morning only to find our postal carrier waiting for me holding a large box with the Honda logo printed on it. Nice!!

So I just finished running out to the garage to swap seats. It took me longer to snag a few photos than it did to actually swap out the seats. The Japan model seat doesn't look quite as different on the bike in person as I was expecting, but you can tell a difference. Based on the "thumb test", the padding in the new seat feels like it might possibly be just a bit more dense but it's hard to tell. The only other notable difference between the two seats is that the Japan model seat has an "e-cushion" logo on it. More importantly, I can certainly tell the difference when seated on the bike, as I'm now easily able to firmly flat foot both feet. This should come in incredibly handy when dealing with things like uneven surfaces or loose gravel and stable footing is needed while parking the bike, etc.. That's really all I have time to report on for now. Good stuff!

I'm including a couple of photos of the Japan market seat along with the stock seat for comparison, and a couple of shots of the Japan market seat on the CB. Next up will either be the test ride or the installation of the Honda OEM Type II handlebars (followed by a test ride). All dependent upon time/weather constraints.

Special thanks to our good friend Takashi! Like so many others here on the forum, I highly recommend samurider.com to anyone who is looking for aftermarket and OEM parts for their CB1100.

Here is the Japan market seat on the left and the stock seat on the right.

Once again, the Japan market seat on the left and the stock seat on the right.

Side view of the new seat mounted on the CB (in the tight quarters of my limited garage space at the moment).

View of the new seat from the back.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2018 10:18 PM by Guth.)
01-03-2018 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
RE: CB1100 Type II Conversion Begins
Seat looks great and it's so funny that you talk about a diet because I was thinking something similar. Once the weather gets decent (if?), I was thinking about riding to work more often and then taking a 1/2 ride around lunchtime on those days--can't eat while you're riding ya know. I'd return to the office and have a Cheryl-prepared light snack (she's good about that) and get on with my day.

Glad you are happy with samurider as I am eventually going to have buy a 'high' seat from them unless I can figure out a cheaper alternative.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-03-2018 02:44 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Looking good there boss!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-03-2018 03:26 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
samurider must have a lot of options for this bike , glad you got what you wanted and it looks high quality like everything else they offer

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
01-03-2018 03:33 PM
c-breezy Offline
Running Like a Top

Irvine, CA
CB1100 Type II Conversion Begins
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFFATT: All Flip Flops All The Time!
01-03-2018 04:28 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(01-03-2018 02:44 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  Seat looks great and it's so funny that you talk about a diet because I was thinking something similar.

Thanks MTC! What's funny is that for periods of time I have to switch off of the primary drug that I require. That means I also get rid of all of the side effects that come with it (like gaining weight). It's been a couple of months now and I have dropped about 20 pounds without even trying. I'm hoping to stay the course and drop another 20 pounds. I like to think of it as getting a nice performance upgrade for my CB1100. Big Grin Forty pounds might not sound like a lot in the overall scheme of things when you're talking about the weight of the bike + rider + gear. But if you think about picking up that much weight and moving around with it for a while it's extremely noticeable.(my son has been hauling me to go to the gym with him while he's home on break from college so I'm actually somewhat familiar with this, lol)

(01-03-2018 02:44 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  Glad you are happy with samurider as I am eventually going to have buy a 'high' seat from them unless I can figure out a cheaper alternative.

Good luck with the seat search. Fortunately there are quite a few more options available if your desire is to raise the seat height as opposed to lowering it. If you don't end up having any luck with the low budget options, I can't imagine finding a more helpful and pleasant person to deal with than Mr. T (this man takes customer service very seriously). Simply put, he's awesome. I look forward to learning what seat option ends up working out best for you.

01-03-2018 11:36 PM
jtopiso Offline
Running Like a Top

Spain
(01-03-2018 02:32 PM)Guth Wrote:  ...

More importantly, I can certainly tell the difference when seated on the bike, as I'm now easily able to firmly flat foot both feet.

Hi,

1000km with my new bike ('17-RS). Every time I am riding I think "this is perfect: I won't ever modify the seat". Every time I have to reverse to park (and need to walk the bike) I think "I will definitely get my seat lowered ASAP".

It looks easier to lower my seat than stretching my legs Wink but, as my riding position is good for me, I woudn't like to trash a good seat just to improve my "parking ability"...

So I must ask: Any significant drawbacks with the lowered seat? Is riding position much affected? Confort?

thx!
01-04-2018 02:10 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(01-04-2018 02:10 AM)jtopiso Wrote:  It looks easier to lower my seat than stretching my legs Wink but, as my riding position is good for me, I woudn't like to trash a good seat just to improve my "parking ability"...

So I must ask: Any significant drawbacks with the lowered seat? Is riding position much affected? Confort?

thx!

I don't think I'll be able to give you honest answers to those questions until after I've at least taken a test ride, and chances are I'll need to go for a longer ride than I'd normally want to go for during this time of year to really know for sure. In addition, I'm next going to change over to the Type II CB1100 handlebars which are lower than the stock Type I bars. But the overall effect is not quite as straightforward as simply "lowering" the seat and bar heights. The profile of the Japan model seat appears slightly more narrow towards the top of the seat and the Type II bars are definitely more narrow than the Type I bars that came on the bike. No telling how all of this will add up in terms of how it will impact the overall feel of the bike while riding it. After I've managed to swap out the bars and take the bike out for a spin with all of the changes in place, then I'll know exactly how all this add up in an applied way rather than just theorizing about it (which is all that I'd be doing at this point). I'm looking forward to that day.

I've gotten along fine with my CB1100 for almost five years now, but I must admit there have been just a few close calls where I've almost dumped the bike. Not while riding it but while parking it. Blush This is mostly due to the fact that I have short legs. I'm far more comfortable parking my Hawk GT than I am my CB1100. This is due not only to the the Hawk GT having a lower seat height than the CB, but also because the CB1100 is a bit of a porker in comparison to the Hawk — or rather the Hawk is a featherweight compared to the CB. With a full tank of gas I believe the Hawk GT weighs around 410 pounds while the CB1100 is around 540 pounds. That's a considerable difference. When you combine the heavier weight of the CB1100 with the higher seat height the overall effect is huge when it comes to things like needing to back the bike up a bit of an incline or when accidentally setting a foot down in a low spot in the pavement (especially if there's any sort of debris on the ground). I do a pretty good job of avoiding such situations, but every once in a while things like this just can't be avoided.

I really like my CB and I for sure don't want to damage it because I dumped it while trying to park it , or move it around or whatever. Not to mention that I simply don't want to be "that guy", lol. All of this is sort of coming to a head now as I'm truly planning to finally sell my Hawk this spring. So I'm getting my CB1100 ready to be my only / full-time bike. I kind of doubt that I will, but If I find that I simply don't like the new seat or the bars, well I can always change them back. (I never get rid of my good stock parts.) In that case, if worse comes to worse, then maybe someday I'll end up being "that guy". But jeez I sure hope not, lol. Dodgy

01-04-2018 03:06 AM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
a good (feet) groundcontact is the half bikehappyness.....Banana..Banana..Banana..Thumbs Up

but

if you get a painful kneeangle by long riding...so you must look for a other kind bike....""bikeriding" makes the enjoyment of life the specific model self is secundary

in my first 2-3 bike years i made the error and owned a to high bike...every littel stop somehwere became always to a "stinky" challenge..you wish better never stoping....only one littel stone under your shoe.....and slipping 1/2 inch and you get your "present" eventual already...
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2018 03:57 AM by alprider.)
01-04-2018 03:20 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
Great looking seat Guth Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
I too have fairly short legs and share your concerns about dropping the CB in a parking lot maneuver or whatever due to the weight. I've learned how to be careful in those situations and really don't have a problem, but I have to pay more attention than I do on my other bikes.
I'll admit that when I first got the CB I wondered if I had made a mistake because it's the heaviest bike I've ever owned but soon got used to it and now it's a dream to ride.
That said, I'm not being complacent Big Grin
When I came back to bikes in 1992 it was on a new Hawk GT and I loved that bike! Easy to maneuver and stone axe reliable. It took me on trips all over eastern Canada and the U.S. for ten years and I often wish I hadn't sold it.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
01-04-2018 04:57 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>