Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MotoAmerica finally gets it.
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: MotoAmerica finally gets it.
We have BEIN SPORT on our Direct TV at around an extra $12/ month, worth every cent !
01-07-2018 07:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
Racing and dwindling ridership
(01-05-2018 05:48 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Read this recently:
Thinking Outside the (Pit) Box

I will freely admit that I'm quite neutral on the issue of motorcycle racing as a spectator sport.

I am however convinced that popularity (or lack thereof) of motorcycle racing has little to do with the sliding interest in motorcycle riding and motorcycle sales. Racing is (or is, but not sufficiently) interesting to those that already ride, but I don't see how watching races would entice someone to learn to ride and buy a motorcycle.

What (and I've stated this before on this forum) is missing in US (and probably in Britain, where the article originates) is the wide use of motorcycles for transportation. Yet there is no real effort on the part of manufacturers to return this market segment to any level of health - primarily in North America (*), but to some extent in western Europe too.

So, with apology, let me (again) suggest that legalizing lane splitting continent-wide is a very sensible first step of that effort.

Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.

(*) 2/3rds of Canada is forgiven on account of climate Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 05:55 PM by rotor.)
01-08-2018 05:06 PM
hb9400 Online
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
MotoAmerica finally gets it.
All 3 races of the MotoGP series are a blast to watch. I think the Moto3 race is by far the most exciting. Will be in Austin again this year. Plan on attending MotoAmerica at Road Atlanta and Barber as well. What I like about MotoAmerica is that you get access to the riders and they are happy to talk with you. MotoGP is just a circus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The ferret
01-08-2018 05:27 PM
egleaves Offline
1st Service Completed

Sacramento, CA
RE: Racing and dwindling ridership
Quote:Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.

I strongly agree with a need for updated, relevant training for those getting licensed. I would even go so far as to argue for continuing education to maintain a license. Everyone could use a refresher at some point and, like you mentioned, infrastructure and equipment change over time.

This shouldn't apply exclusively to MC riders.....too many drivers simply don't understand the magnitude of the kinetic energy they are piloting with their non-texting hand. States give away drivers licenses too freely considering the amount of actual training required.

To share a statement recently overheard by my wife:

"I failed my dmv test.... one of the questions i missed was about motorcycles when they are in your lane. I don't think they should be able to do that.... they shouldn't even be on a motorcycle. These roads are dangerous. Anyway, the question was about what to do when a motorcycle is in your lane, but i don't drive a motorcycle, so why should i need to know that?"

More education across the board (riders and drivers) would bolster awareness and empathy that I think is much needed out there on the roads.

2014 CB1100 Standard
01-08-2018 05:58 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
We get Bein Sports via Roku through Sling TV. About $10 per month last time. $7 the year before. Everybody needs to get their dime!
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 06:16 PM by DAC.)
01-08-2018 06:14 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(01-08-2018 05:06 PM)rotor Wrote:  What (and I've stated this before on this forum) is missing in US (and probably in Britain, where the article originates) is the wide use of motorcycles for transportation.

Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.

Ain’t that the truth? In Australia, regulators, in their obsession with safety, are making it harder and harder to get a motorcycle licence. Some of the changes—for example, requirements for practical training and a more sophisticated on road test—are sensible. However, in Queensland a person is now required to have held at least a provisional licence for ‘another class’ of vehicle (read car) for at least 12 months before they can get any form of licence to ride a motorcycle. How does a young person with limited resources now get access to a much cheaper form of transport than a car, particularly given how onerous it is to get the car licence in the first place.

The world’s gone mad.
01-10-2018 03:49 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(01-10-2018 03:49 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  ... in Queensland a person is now required to have held at least a provisional licence for ‘another class’ of vehicle (read car) for at least 12 months before they can get any form of licence to ride a motorcycle. How does a young person with limited resources now get access to a much cheaper form of transport than a car, particularly given how onerous it is to get the car licence in the first place.
The thinking there is not unusual for the current generation of "western regulators": the simplest thing to improve statistics is to reduce the number of participants, which will reduce the number of accidents. That they have not done anything to reduce (in this case) the number of accidents per kilometer traveled is to them of no particular consequence.
01-11-2018 04:58 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
I think improved rider training would go a long way to improving accident statistics, but even more important in my view would be a ban or rollback of technology now appearing in cars (infotainment consoles, texting, etc.) -- stuff that creates visual and cognitive distractions for drivers. For example, to turn up the heat in my 2014 Nissan, I have to take my eyes off the road, glance down to the TFT screen, locate the icon for the heat temperature, and slide my finger across the icon until I am satisfied with the setting. There's no tactile feel, and I have to scroll through a menu before the control is even available me. I guess it's what the kids want, but I think it stinks. The heat can't be adjusted by "feel."

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 05:27 PM by LongRanger.)
01-11-2018 05:25 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
(01-11-2018 05:25 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  I think improved rider training would go a long way to improving accident statistics, but even more important in my view would be a ban or rollback of technology now appearing in cars (infotainment consoles, texting, etc.) -- stuff that creates visual and cognitive distractions for drivers. For example, to turn up the heat in my 2014 Nissan, I have to take my eyes off the road, glance down to the TFT screen, locate the icon for the heat temperature, and slide my finger across the icon until I am satisfied with the setting. There's no tactile feel, and I have to scroll through a menu before the control is even available me. I guess it's what the kids want, but I think it stinks. The heat can't be adjusted by "feel."
I fully agree with you statement , bought a new 2017 CRV and have been very unhappy with all the stages I have to go through to change anything in the car :heating , fan speed , radio etc. etc.
It was a lot easier on my 2004 CRV which is now my wife's and still running perfect with 175000 miles on it.
01-11-2018 06:00 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(01-10-2018 03:49 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  ... in Queensland a person is now required to have held at least a provisional licence for ‘another class’ of vehicle (read car) for at least 12 months before they can get any form of licence to ride a motorcycle. How does a young person with limited resources now get access to a much cheaper form of transport than a car, particularly given how onerous it is to get the car licence in the first place.
The thinking there is not unusual for the current generation of "western regulators": the simplest thing to improve statistics is to reduce the number of participants, which will reduce the number of accidents. That they have not done anything to reduce (in this case) the number of accidents per kilometer traveled is to them of no particular consequence.
01-11-2018 07:28 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>