Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An Interesting Tidbit of Info
Flytech99 Offline
1st Service Completed

Utah
An Interesting Tidbit of Info
I learned something interesting today and thought I'd share.... First, a little backstory:

I've always liked the CB1100, but never lusted after one till I saw pictures and videos of the RS model. That emotion was quickly followed by disappointment when I realized I couldn't get one in America for 2017. Thus, I decided in order to satisfy my craving, I'd need to buy a CB1100 that I could actually get and tweak it some to get the look and feel that I wanted that was inspired by the RS. To reach that goal the most important features to me where ABS, dual exhaust, no wire wheels and not having an all black engine - all signs obviously then pointed towards me getting a used '14 DLX. So, I picked up a low mileage one recently with a pretty thorough plan of what I wanted to to for upgrades and modifications (a year's time and realizing Japan has all the cool stuff will do that for you).

Now, for the interesting bit....

The bike I bought came with a custom high seat. Didn't really want or need that and since I'm going for a lower/leaner look, I thought a '17 EX seat would be an inexpensive option for replacement. So, I researched the parts breakdown and grabbed a part number and called up my local dealer, haggled for a good price and he told me he could get it in 3-4 days shipped direct as an in-stock item from the Honda America warehouse. Well, today I go and pick up the seat.... open the box and to my PLEASANT SURPRISE, there lies a '17 RS seat (with the correct part number I ordered). So, as soon as I get home I go back on line and see that I made the mistake as the EX and RS seat part numbers are one character different (B or D in the part #).

Here's my question.... Is this such a commonly interchanged part that Honda needs to stock it here in the U.S. or is it an indication of parts staging to support the RS model coming to the U.S. (as we know it's already in Canada)?

The seat fits well and is just a tad snug at the tank (although that may be normal). Honestly, I'm glad I made the mistake because this is the seat I wanted in the first place but assumed I couldn't get it.

Pics attached for reference....

Attached File(s) Image(s)

02-14-2018 05:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: An Interesting Tidbit of Info
Mr. T of Samurider said the seat fits fine, but is tight at the tank. Like you found out. So, normal.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
02-14-2018 05:28 PM
Flytech99 Offline
1st Service Completed

Utah
(02-14-2018 05:28 PM)popgun Wrote:  Mr. T of Samurider said the seat fits fine, but is tight at the tank. Like you found out. So, normal.

Popgun.... You're absolutely right. I bought a '17 seat on good info from Mr. T. that they were compatible with the DLX. What surprised me was the stocking of the RS seat by Honda here in the States. I dumb lucked into finding that out as I thought all along I was getting an EX seat.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 05:34 PM by Flytech99.)
02-14-2018 05:33 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Interesting that you can even get a RS seat in the states.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-14-2018 05:49 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Even if American Honda isn't offering a part here in the U.S., this certainly doesn't mean you can't still source it and buy it. Simply order it online. If need be, order it from a dealer in Europe. You could just call a dealership in London or Paris or wherever, ask for the Parts Department, and order and pay for it over the phone or via PayPal, the same as you would with any U.S. dealership.
02-14-2018 06:07 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Sure but he got it from his local dealer. i wouldn't think it would be stocked in US warehouses.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-14-2018 06:15 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
mickey, I was responding to this...

Flytech99 Wrote:Honestly, I'm glad I made the mistake because this is the seat I wanted in the first place but assumed I couldn't get it.

Whether it's a Euro-spec seat from Honda, or a set of turnsignals from Yamaha, or anything else, there really is no reason to think you can't get something here, just because it's not offered in U.S. dealerships. My U.S.-spec XSR900 came with the giant, floppy Great Pumpkin turnsignals that everyone here hates. So, I simply ordered up a set of the much sleeker Yamaha turnsignals from the Euro-spec XSR900.

No problem. If it's not offered here, order it from somewhere else.
02-14-2018 06:27 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Seat looks very good on the 2014.
02-14-2018 07:13 PM
Flytech99 Offline
1st Service Completed

Utah
(02-14-2018 06:27 PM)VLJ Wrote:  mickey, I was responding to this...

Flytech99 Wrote:Honestly, I'm glad I made the mistake because this is the seat I wanted in the first place but assumed I couldn't get it.

Whether it's a Euro-spec seat from Honda, or a set of turnsignals from Yamaha, or anything else, there really is no reason to think you can't get something here, just because it's not offered in U.S. dealerships. My U.S.-spec XSR900 came with the giant, floppy Great Pumpkin turnsignals that everyone here hates. So, I simply ordered up a set of the much sleeker Yamaha turnsignals from the Euro-spec XSR900.

No problem. If it's not offered here, order it from somewhere else.

VLJ,

Believe me, I'm quite comfortable sourcing parts and accessories from wherever they are available. In this case, I was primarily going for the shape of the 2017 seat because it has the sleekest profile. Yes, I prefer the look of the RS seat (to be unique) but I also knew I'd be in it for $350 - $400 if I had to buy one and have it shipped from overseas. By comparison, I only paid $289 for this one. At that price, I was simply settling for the EX style based on value.

Despite my long winded post, the point I was really trying to make was what Ferret highlighted as well. Why is a part for a non-US spec model being stocked at a Honda warehouse stateside? Just makes ya wonder.........

(02-14-2018 07:13 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Seat looks very good on the 2014.

Thanks! Bike is going through a pretty dramatic transformation, so when it's done I'll create a thread with all the mods and accessories and better pics of the seat.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 09:15 PM by Flytech99.)
02-14-2018 09:12 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
I can see that you already changed the side covers, since the '14 Deluxe has the oversized red ones.
02-14-2018 09:31 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM