Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jackets
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Jackets
What jacket do you recommend? (Brand and Style)

What do you like about it? Any drawbacks? Approximate cost?

Post a link and/or a photo if you can.

I'll start: I currently have an Olympia Switchback. Comfortable textile jacket with a waterproof, breathable liner that has worked great for me. It has a rip at the bottom that needs mending, but otherwise it's held up well for three seasons. I think the styling is ok, but a little boring and the inside pocket is too small. I purchased Revit rain gear that works great, so I'm thinking about a new jacket that doesn't have to be waterproof. Maybe leather, but I'm worried about it getting too hot in summer. I'll just have to keep looking. Maybe there will be some ideas posted here. Smile

Here's a link for my jacket. Revzilla Olympia Switchback

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-03-2014 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
RE: Jackets
I wear a BMG Mercury jacket in temps up to 75F and a BMG Zodiac when the weather gets warmer.

http://britishmotorcyclegear.com/mercury-jacket.asp

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 06:17 AM by redbirds.)
03-04-2014 06:13 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
As you can see, I have a variety of jackets I wear depending on a lot of factors... type of ride, length of ride, temperature, even which bike I am riding.There are 3 Tourmaster Textile Jackets (blue and black) in my closet. One 3/4 length (used mainly on long tours), one waist length and one summer vented (must be over 85 degrees for me to wear this). The silver jacket hanging in my closet is a Cortech Textile. It is my winter jacket. It is thick and heavy with a quilted liner, but it is warm. Then there is a bug splattered solid leather jacket from X-element which I wear on naked bikes from 65 to 85 degrees), then a perforated retro style leather with stripes from Teknic for wearing on naked bikes when it's over 85 degrees. I also have an electric jacket liner from First Gear/Safe-n-warm, if it gets below 40. I buy my jackets when they are on sale at Motorcyclegear.com in order to be able to afford so many. I believe my most expensive jacket was $99. Most were in the $59 to $79 range.

Cortech Textile winter

X-Element leather

Tourmaster Textile 3/4

Tourmaster Textile waist length

Tourmaster perforated

Teknic leather perforated

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 07:17 AM by The ferret.)
03-04-2014 07:01 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Wow Ferret, you are the "Imelda Marcos" of motorcycle jackets. Thumbs Up

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
03-04-2014 08:16 AM
wildezt Offline
Running Like a Top

United States
Mr.Ferret is Jacket of all trades !

let's roll...The ferret
03-04-2014 02:17 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
I ended up with 2 Dainese jackets, 1 textile for above 80 degrees, 1 leather for below 80 degrees.

Dainese Race Leather, fits me perfectly, is most comfortable when on the bike in riding position.
Dainese REALLY know how to make motorcycle clothing that works!
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daine...her-jacket (black)
Dainese Spedio with breathable liner( black/gray)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daine...dry-jacket
03-04-2014 04:36 PM
Tyke57nz Offline
1st Service Completed

NZ
Alpinestars Jaws and Rev-it Tornado, depending on weather, both really comfortable both on and off the machine. Not sure if I would go for a Leather/Fabric jacket again as I think a full leather would suit me better; but thats way in the future as this one has to wear out first.
03-04-2014 05:07 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I like Dianese, too. Unfortunately, they do not have any jackets or pants that fit a 6'1" 240lb person. Really well made and stylish gear, though.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-04-2014 06:05 PM
vfrpaul98 Offline
1st Service Completed

cumming ga
(03-04-2014 06:13 AM)redbirds Wrote:  I wear a BMG Mercury jacket in temps up to 75F and a BMG Zodiac when the weather gets warmer.

http://britishmotorcyclegear.com/mercury-jacket.asp
Redbirds,thanks for posting the link, I've been wanting to replace my 1998 model, she's well used, but still one of the best allround jackets for me. i'll retire it to cold weather dualsport only. ordered a new Mercury today.
vfrpaul
03-04-2014 08:17 PM
pechorin75 Away
1st Service Completed

Maryland
Personally, I'm a big fan of the BMW "Comfortshell" jacket. I think it's been discontinued, but you can still occasionally find them on closeout, or used on eBay. It lists for $750, but I think I paid $500 for mine...and then grabbed a second one on closeout for $300, after realizing how much I liked the jacket.

I find that it's pretty amazing in being able to handle a wide range of temps (the whole "climate change" fabric thing really seems to work). I've ridden my ZRX at 40 degrees with only a t-shirt underneath and been acceptably warm...and with a fleece jacket underneath, I've been comfortable at temps below 25 degrees (and 70mph) for well over an hour. Granted, that's on a bike with some wind protection...but still, I think it's impressive from a jacket that I've also worn in reasonable comfort in 100 degree heat.

It's also totally waterproof without needing a separate liner (I've ridden in pretty heavy rain for probably an hour without any leaks), and it has some pretty serious armor. And it seems durable. I've worn it for about 12,000 miles now, and it's still pretty much like new (well, maybe a little smellier than new). I wish it had more reflective material, but that's about it for complaints.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbo...and_pants/
03-05-2014 11:01 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>