Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CB1000R
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: CB1000R
(12-15-2017 12:14 PM)Wisedrum Wrote:  
(12-15-2017 11:20 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Honda just pared the bike down to the bare functional necessities.

This is something that the CB1000R has in common with most bikes now on the market. There is nothing that will warm the heart and the soul when looking at it.
Too functional, too watercooled, too cool anyway. The German word for it that comes to my mind is 'aalglatt'.

I don't like bikes build this way no matter how good they are technically. But what should one expect from a guy who owns lovely looking and good riding retro bikes and is deeply nostalgic when it comes to motorbikes?

Wisedrum
That's ironic you mention the German term "aalglatt" as sort of a "meh" since German engineering of the mid-20th century was so superior, and so superbly functional in this exact way. I think of the Focke-Wulf, Messerschmitt, and Junkers aircraft, just exemplary of pure mechanical engineering. I love the appearance of pretty every German aircraft from that era. Don't mind the Eurofighter, either. The Fw 190, He 111, Ju 88, even that tin goose, the Ju 52. So this Honda CB1000R motorcycle is reminiscent of that design philosophy. Excellent! A modern classic which will be "retro" when bikes look like the new BMW self-balancing thing:

I have had many retro/classic styled bikes and currently own a few. That is of course what drew me to the CB1100 which I owned for three years. I like anything with two wheels.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 03:21 PM by Ulvetanna.)
12-15-2017 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
I felt never drawn to anything that was build to destroy something. Aircrafts/Eurofighter fall into this category. Don't like any kind of weapons wether in the air, water or land. They all should be banned ....and by no means would compare them to motorbikes, which are build for pure joy and not for destruction. I didn't had this association in mind with my german term.

What I meant was much more, that the appearance of the CB1000R looks not wrinkeld enough in my eyes as an aircooled engine does despite other modern effects of not having parallel rear schocks and so on.

But desgin is a wide field with all its likes and dislikes.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 03:38 PM by Wisedrum.)
12-15-2017 03:30 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
That CB1000R leaves me a bit cold too, just like most contemporary bikes these days, but that's okay. It's doubtful I'm the target demographic.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
12-15-2017 04:21 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-15-2017 03:30 PM)Wisedrum Wrote:  I felt never drawn to anything that was build to destroy something. Aircrafts/Eurofighter fall into this category. Don't like any kind of weapons wether in the air, water or land. They all should be banned ....and by no means would compare them to motorbikes, which are build for pure joy and not for destruction. I didn't had this association in mind with my german term.

What I meant was much more, that the appearance of the CB1000R looks not wrinkeld enough in my eyes as an aircooled engine does despite other modern effects of not having parallel rear schocks and so on.

But desgin is a wide field with all its likes and dislikes.

Wisedrum
I appreciate your perspective and since we don't do politics here, we'll leave it at that.

I can backtrack, though, to before WWII, when Germany was building the world's most beautiful gliders and had the most innovative airliners and exciting and well-attended flying clubs. Charles Lindbergh was a famous guest who greatly appreciated German aviation progress at the time. So was James Doolittle, the great American air racing pilot. It was all about having fun back in those days, just the joy of flight.

So the design of a bike must be like the kind of oil you use or something. LOL I think air-cooled bikes should use mineral-based oil, and liquid-cooled bikes should only use synthetic. Keeping it real!

Well enough banter. I like this bike, I'll keep my eyes on it.

Oh yes, I wanted to say also very ironically, the design of the 2018 CB1000R is pure, unvarnished Bauhaus.

Bauhaus Wasilly Chair

Of all the chairs to come out of the Bauhaus, this is the one that commonly comes to mind. Designed by Marcel Breuer, the Wasilly chair is a mix of steel and leather, using no more material than is absolutely needed, while providing maximum comfort. It's a design you'll still find in homes today.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 04:44 PM by Ulvetanna.)
12-15-2017 04:35 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol you won't find that style of chairs in homes around here. Maybe at campsites. Sorta looks like a Cabelas camp chair.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-15-2017 05:28 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-15-2017 05:28 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Lol you won't find that style of chairs in homes around here. Maybe at campsites. Sorta looks like a Cabelas camp chair.
My furniture is hickory and bison hide. No Bauhaus. Funny that Bauhaus was supposed to be a model of lean efficiency but ended up being sort of artsy-fartsy.

But you gotta admit this is a thing of engineering beauty.

BMW 801 aircraft engine
12-15-2017 05:38 PM
Doc1961 Offline
Break-In Period

St. Joseph MO
If you like the BMW 801, go to youtube and look for the only flying FW190 with an original 801. The plane is based in Seattle I believe.
12-27-2017 08:08 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Wow, I've just now pulled my head out of the sand and have discovered that the new CB1000R is also the NEO Sports Cafe and vice versa. (It appears that Honda might be planning NEO Sports Cafe bikes in other displacements as well including a 300 and a 125.) I actually really like this bike, for reasons different than what draws me to the CB1100. I actually find the styling of this bike to be more of "a piece" than many designs. This is the bike where that sort of tank shape makes sense. I don't care for the muffler, but I'm sure someone will be offering alternatives in no time.

Basically if I were looking for a modern, water-cooled sport bike, this would probably be at the top of my list. I'm really excited to see Honda headed in this direction.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-30-2017 12:13 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-27-2017 08:08 PM)Doc1961 Wrote:  If you like the BMW 801, go to youtube and look for the only flying FW190 with an original 801. The plane is based in Seattle I believe.
The whole series was a superb group of aircraft. The Fw190, in my opinion, is the most aggressive-looking fighter to come out of WWII. Great airplanes. The Ta152 was really something. Extremely advanced technology, with nitrous oxide injection. The styling really is similar to the newest CB1000R, pure function.
01-04-2018 11:41 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
The flag is apparently from Costa Rica . . .pdedse — 07:47 PM
Shifting issue
Here is what my clutch basket looks like . . .max — 07:03 PM
Todays weather
Yeah, I think Mother Nature bumped a con . . .Gone in 60 — 06:54 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other . . .GoldOxide — 06:20 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other m . . .Cormanus — 06:15 PM
Todays weather
Gone, there are places in Australia — . . .Cormanus — 06:12 PM
Just bought this beauty