Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly)
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: How To Cure High Idle Issues (possibly)
Why does the bike need a sensor? Doesn’t it know it’s on the right handle bar? Tongue
11-20-2017 04:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
(11-18-2017 10:58 AM)jdvalero Wrote:  Just an update. After changing the EOT sensor which seem to do absolutely nothing....I received my HealTech OBD reader tool and discovered that I had two codes for TP sensor low voltage. Inspected the wiring and the connector to the TPSensor had one of the prongs twisted. After fixing that the problem went away..... Thank God!

Back to Loving my bike again!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is this the TP sensor and connector referred to? Photo taken from left side of bike. Did you simply disconnect by hand and visually see something? Or did you expose the internals of that connector where you can barely see the green/yellow wires sticking out at the base?

11-21-2017 09:08 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Until JD responds, I will tell you that is the TPS sensor. DO NOT try to adjust it any unless you have a good understanding of how they work and the min/max voltages. There is NO procedure for it in the service manual.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
11-21-2017 02:12 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I've seen that thing. Had no idea what it was lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
11-21-2017 05:54 PM
peterbaron Online
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
TPS usually sets a DTC..with MIL/ILO/ELO on or without (usually history DTC)...
If you experience erratic RPM (when engine is fully warmed up), you may press in & out or wiggle TPS connector...if RPM stabilizes/changes, your erratic RPM has to be addressed further:
ignition off, disconnect TPS connector, inspect connector itself and TPS 3 pins ( ground, power, signal) for corrosion, dirt, looseness and water intrusion after washing your bike..etc...
Clean and wash both with brake cleaner and dry'em out . You may also twist TPS pins for up to 5* WITHOUT removing TPS from throttle body... BUT if you RTEMOVE it, you'll have to set it back to spec, unless is fixed by manufacture, (V, sometimes *) with voltmeter backed probed to ground and signal - KOEOff ... do NOT tinker without experience...Angry
If TPS/connector are damaged/beyond repair = replacement.
You may also bench test your TPS = resistance test...
One of the best connection enhancer ( max conductivity and protection ) is stabilant 22A (expen$ive) or as a substitute, you may use dielectric grease - both apply sparingly!!!!
Erase DTC (if any) and reset residual values to ECM after above operation .
This is NOT a field fix to yot erratic RPM, just friendly advice/test/general TPS troubleshooting...Thumbs Up/some precautionsHuh apply

Popgun is right = read his advice above before digging!!

* = degree
KOEOff = KeyOnEngineOff
MIL = Malfunction Illumination Light = ILO = Illumination Light On = ELO = Engine Light On
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code (OBDII)

Trouble free motoring to you all The ferretThe ferret

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2017 07:04 PM by peterbaron.)
11-21-2017 07:00 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Ferret, +1.

Peterbaron, you’ve set out remarkably clearly why it would be a huge mistake for me to fiddle with the TPS. Thank you.
11-21-2017 08:41 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
Ok, so it's complicated to open up TPS and run this or that test...it's also extremely expensive to have the complete throttle body replaced out of warranty.

But what actually seems to have worked for jdvalero was what he last wrote, to quote:

"Inspected the wiring, and the connector to the TPSensor had one of the prongs twisted."

I'm assuming when he says "connector" that he refers to the connector at the 7 o'clock position related to the black U shaped sensor in the photo I loaded. That disconnects easy enough. I would like to know if the prongs referred to above are accessed simply by disconnecting by hand and then you can see the prongs readily.

I guess after reading the previous warnings, I'm afraid to touch anything...will my bike explode? Hmmm, garage fire, that's probably covered under house warranty!

Also, peterbaron states:

"ignition off, disconnect TPS connector, inspect connector itself and TPS 3 pins ( ground, power, signal) for corrosion, dirt, looseness and water intrusion after washing your bike..etc... Clean and wash both with brake cleaner and dry'em out . ...
...One of the best connection enhancer ( max conductivity and protection ) is stabilant 22A (expen$ive) or as a substitute, you may use dielectric grease - both apply sparingly!!!!"

So would any harm result from disconnecting that connector, spraying a quick shot of brake cleaner on prongs / pins, applying a slight dab of dialect, reconnect...and see what happens?

There have been so many instances of different high and low idle behaviors: problem comes and goes during the same ride, heat affects it, it doesn't, happens after a long ride, it doesn't, went away for a period of time, came back, turn off and on and it goes away--for awhile... ...these scenarios make me think that something simple as a dirty connection (or fouled in some way) could be the root of the problem.

Maybe that's simplistic wishful thinking. I guess I could leave it alone and just live with it...but that's no fun, I want that reliable, steady Honda that everybody's always talkin' bout.

I really do like this bike...except, of course....this.
11-21-2017 10:37 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
pdedse, I unplugged my TPS connector (ignition off) to inspect it and look for signs of corrosion and found none so I plugged it back in. I don't have any idle problems but I thought it would be a good idea to be proactive and check for signs of corrosion. I think I would use CPC electrical contact cleaner rather than brake cleaner.

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
11-22-2017 04:37 AM
peterbaron Online
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
Not my intention to provide complicated diagnosis, but step by step as a general rule for all TPS as indicated...never stated " have to open up TPS?????" = sealed unit/do not overhaul...
For all fellows who have skills in different fields - not automotive, I would suggest as follow::
ignition off, disconnect 3 prong TPS connector , inspect, clean it, reconnect...may help if TPS connection was poor, contaminated.... anybody , who rides a motorcycle can do it.
Thanks for your feedback and notes.

:Smile)Beer

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 04:54 AM by peterbaron.)
11-22-2017 04:51 AM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
(11-22-2017 04:51 AM)peterbaron Wrote:  Not my intention to provide complicated diagnosis, but step by step as a general rule for all TPS as indicated

And it's greatly appreciated!

(11-22-2017 04:51 AM)peterbaron Wrote:  ...never stated " have to open up TPS?????" = sealed unit/do not overhaul...

Not my intention to put words into anyone's mouth, my bad. I didn't have a clear understanding of what jdvalero actually did for his fix, so I was wondering/assuming that the "innerds" there somewhere had been tinkered with...which is where I would have stopped.

(11-22-2017 04:51 AM)peterbaron Wrote:  For all fellows who have skills in different fields - not automotive, I would suggest as follow::
ignition off, disconnect 3 prong TPS connector , inspect, clean it, reconnect...may help if TPS connection was poor, contaminated.... anybody , who rides a motorcycle can do it.

This is what I was looking to confirm! : ) Thanks. I think even with my often limited mechanical skills I can be included with as part of "anybody who rides".

Thanks again,Thumbs Up

By the way, I appreciate the way you put this:
(11-22-2017 04:51 AM)peterbaron Wrote:  For all fellows who have skills in different fields - not automotive,
: )
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 08:40 AM by pdedse.)
11-22-2017 08:37 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM