Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Victory Motorcycle to Wind Down Production
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Victory Motorcycle to Wind Down Production
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/art...nouncement

IMO Victory made a big mistake by not diversifying into an American Standard, ADV, Sport Tourer, Sport bike producer. The only reason the Japanese survive in this country is that they don't rely on cruisers as their only market place product.

* Note the title of this thread originally was" Harley crushes another one" but that was confusing. When Pete Erickson posted a thread about the same subject I changed the title of this thread to match his

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 02:19 PM by The ferret.)
01-09-2017 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TCBronson Offline
1st Service Completed

Hot Springs, AR
RE: Harley crushes another one
I would have to agree with you.
01-09-2017 09:15 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Me three.

Once Polaris acquired Indian, I thought Victory would morph into naked standards, sport, ADV, and small-medium-large sport touring bikes. Essentially, become an American BMW.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
01-09-2017 09:50 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Totally missed the market. I always said that Victory should have made a 'Jeep Grand Cherokee' of ADV bikes, American take on the exploding category. And when they took on the TT with the electric bike and Pikes Peak with the 156, I thought, for sure, they would succeed as a brand. But things must have turned negative quickly.

But I don't think this is as much Harley taking them out (Harley is struggling a bit too) as much as a decline in their kind of heavy cruiser bike in general as tastes evolve. Honda, Triumph, and others are also moving away from the Metric Cruiser/ Harley clone market, which was totally saturated and staid.

If they focus on Indian, which seems to be doing well, and expand that brand accordingly, probably a good move. Victory = Pontiac/Oldsmobile/Mercury. Once strong brands, now memories.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
01-09-2017 09:59 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Capo I agree with you and when I titled this Harley crushes another one, it wasn't specifically anything Harley Davidson did, it's just in the world, and in the US in particular, when someone wants a V twin cruiser their first choice is Harley Davidson. Harley is so strong, that there wasn't really room for 3 mainstream American V twin cruisers, and with Indian coming on board with a pretty good line up, well received and well advertised I might add, something had to give and Victory with no other type model to sell in 18 years was the weakest one and had to go.

Defender of the Realm
01-09-2017 10:14 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I haven't read a detailed article on this, but I'll toss in one observation that may be relevant. I know of at least three friends of mine who traded their Victories for Indians. It makes me think that the Victory line was too closely aligned to the Indian line and that perhaps Polaris figured it was better to focus on just the one brand. I think this has been coming for some time because, again based on only my personal observation, I have seen much more press given to Indians than to Victories over the last year or so.

I'm not sure if it would have been successful, but it would have been interesting to see something different (ADV or Sport Tourer) from an American manufacturer.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-09-2017 10:27 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Motus is a pretty awesome ST...but $$

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
01-09-2017 12:48 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I imagine they are, but have never seen one. Never seen a Motus dealer, never talked to anyone that has ridden one. So, I can't say for sure.

At least Victory had some dealers, I've seen em, sat on em, and known a couple guys who actually have ridden them.

Motorcyclists have been begging for an American sport tourer for years. Maybe someday someone will step up. Harley could do it easly but won't. I have a feeling Indian never will either.

Defender of the Realm
01-09-2017 12:57 PM
kballowe Offline
1st Service Completed

Missouri
DISCLAIMER: I'm a Victory owner, but you won't offend me it you have a poor opinion of Polaris, and choose to express it here. In fact, it's my God-given RIGHT to be offended ! Let me have it !

I am on Victory motorcycle #4. Every one of them - I bought for cheap..... so I probably have no bitcch - but here goes....

In my mind, Polaris made motorcycles as an afterthought, and with virtually no aftermarket support.
I could dig you up detailed photos of accessories that I had to fabricate myself.

Aftermarket exhaust and tuning was a specialty that was spotty, at best. Factory support SUCKED. Ordering parts was an adventure. Many times, I would get the part and the correct part number on the package, and the wrong part number inside.

On my 2013 Victory Judge, there wasn't even an aftermarket seat available. Corbin made one model for the 2014 Judge.
You have to buy the way-over-priced and poor quality windshields from Victory - because nobody else made any.

I don't know if anyone EVER figured out the problem with buffeting on the Cross Country bikes.

And there's a lot more.

Here's a picture of my 2015 Gunner. I like it, and it handles decent, except that it drags the pegs way too soon

Previously owned "Judge"
Previously owned Boardwalk w/home made rack/backrest/bag mounts/etc
Two of those bikes "pinged" even on 93 octane fuel. The dealer was sympathetic, but no resolution.

The transmissions were like shifting an old Massey Ferguson combine.

I WILL say that the motors pulled good and got fairly decent fuel mileage, even tho they ran on the higher octane fuel.

Still - even with all the warts, I have confidence in this Gunner and will not be selling it anytime soon.
The bike fits me, and it's fun to ride and I ain't getting any younger.
RIP Victory Motorcycles

No matter where you go, there you are.

[b]2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Special[/b]
[color=#A9A9A9]2014 CB1100 Deluxe[/color]
[color=#A9A9A9]2013 CB1100[/color]
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 01:31 PM by kballowe.)
01-09-2017 01:07 PM
Pete Erickson Away
1st Service Completed

Vancouver, WA
Victory Motorcycle to Wind Down Procuction
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/art...nouncement

This popped up on my FB page.

Sorry to see it happen.
01-09-2017 01:54 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM

[-]