Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A tale of 2 Hondas
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
RE: A tale of 2 Hondas
(01-15-2017 03:57 PM)DaSwami Wrote:  Stichill,

Life seems gray and drab to the millennials BECAUSE of their virtual online lives they have lived since they were little. Just a sea of digital emptiness and overloaded stimulation. I disagree, I think what's at their fingertips is very boring but they don't know what else to do.

I did everything I could to drag my kids away from the screen. We live in the country where we can ride dirt bikes, shoot guns, hike in the woods, play in the creek, cut up firewood, plant a garden, study nature, drive a tractor, go swimming, climb a tree, swing on a rope, play in the snow, look at the night sky...it's all there for the taking. I'd get them outdoors on occasion but most of the time they'd just say "No thanks, Dad." and stay indoors.

I guess some people simply ban screens in their kids' lives but then you worry about pushing them out of sync with their peers or stunting their ability to function in the future digital world.

When they got old enough, at some point I realized they didn't really care if Dad was around to do things with them on the weekend anyway, so I starting riding street and never looked back! They can have their screens and I'll take a winding road and a willing machine.

The ferret

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 04:29 PM by Stichill.)
01-15-2017 04:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
In our time, motorcycles are largely toys. It is a difficult and uncomfortable form of vehicular travel that is increasingly out of step with consumer tastes. Cars are now so luxurious and accommodating that "involved" motorized travel is largely becoming less of a desired activity. The current push for "autonomous" self-driving vehicles is making what used to be an engaging activity about as interesting as climbing on a bus. Just getting from point A to point B with the appropriate indications of societal status.

Remember "Sunday drives?" The whole family just clambered aboard the family sedan or station wagon and just drove to see what the surrounding world was like. Maybe that was an American peculiarity. Who knows? At any rate, those are long gone now.

Soon now - and you heard this here first - you will be ticketed for too many lane changes. Active participation in the whole driving experience will be actively discouraged. Can't disturb the algos now, can we?

In the meantime, just take the opportunity to gas up the trusty CB (or whatever else in your garage) and just go!
01-15-2017 06:43 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I track of my motorcycle expenses.
But I should not because I am retired and bought it for fun.

My CB500XA was a onetime expense of CDN$6877 out the door.
Here are the total costs for the last 3 years.

CLOTHES $724
HELMETS $862
ACCESSORIES $1311
INSURANCE $2403
GAS $11O6
MAINTENANCE $2739
TOTAL $9145

Insurance: Although I have not had an accident in 25 years, I pay the for the people that do. My motorcycle insurance is almost the same as my expensive new car, although a fraction of the cost. The difference is the medical coverage for the motorcycle rider and passenger, even though I ride alone.

Maintenance: Tires, valve checks, chain and sprockets were the big ticket items.
I do my own oil and filter changes, but leave the big jobs for the dealer.

I am not concerned with the costs.
But I was surprized they exceeded the cost of the bike in just 3 years.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 08:42 AM by Nortoon.)
01-16-2017 08:41 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
did you really buy a motorcycle to save money or just tell your wife that?

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
01-16-2017 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Yes, your insurance is undoubtedly a big hit, but still not as much as your maintenance which is almost exactly 1/3 the price of the new bike in 3 years. I don't think most people think about that. I think you said you have ridden about 33K kilometers or about 20,000 miles. In gas, insurance and maintenance alone it cost you about .31 per mile to ride (not counting clothing, helmets and accessories) if my math is correct. Add another 7 cents a mile if you count accessories. The clothing and helmet you can wear on another bike, but if this were a first purchase you'd have to include them for another 8 cents per mile. Althogether 46 cents a mile at this point, and this is an economical mid sized twin motorcycle that should get really good gas mileage, and decent tire and brake wear.

Hard to make a point for a motorcycle being economical to own.... but they sure are fun!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-16-2017 09:11 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Our financial advisor asked me to track all our expenses. I added a separate section for the motorcycle just for my own interest. I treat it like any other hobby. I am sure I have spent as much on my battery powered, radio controlled large scale trains over the last 26 years as I have on my motorcycle.

I remember all my bike costs worked out to 48 cents per happy kilometer over the last 3 summers. Pretty cheap entertainment.

Now that I have returned to motorcycling after a 25 year hiatus, I won't give it up as long as I am able to ride. I played beer league hockey until I was 48 and baseball until I was 56. During our 6 month long winters, I walk the local nature trail for an hour. So fortunately I have maintained my good health.

Every month for the last couple of years I saved $200 in my Tax Free Savings Account in case I find that elusive 2014 Deluxe or 2017 EX model at a reasonable price. Until then I will enjoy what I have.
01-16-2017 10:02 AM
kvdreamer Offline
Break-In Period

Acworth GA
(01-15-2017 08:12 AM)The ferret Wrote:  BTW I didn't buy the ST for economy or the convenience, I bought it because it's fun to ride. The ferret I bought the Civic for the economy and convenience. Wink
Ferret,
That is the reason to ride... the joy of riding! I love the ST... had a 1991 older style ST. Then I bought a Kawaki Concours 1995... and the ST was still in the family. Eventually the Concour was sold and we kept that ST for 10 years. Great bike. Now I have a 2011 Kawasaki Concours and absolutely love it. Since I decided to only have one bike my CB 1100 and later my 2015 Vesys 650LT got sold. I loved the looks of the CB 1100 but love the ride of the Concours better. All are great bikes though.
02-25-2017 01:57 PM
jimgl3 Offline
High Mileage

Covington, Ga
learn how to work on the bike. that helps. to me it's part of the fun. part of the "hobby"
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 07:56 AM by jimgl3.)
03-18-2017 07:54 AM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
traffic
(01-15-2017 08:48 AM)Capo Wrote:  ... Parking, insurance, threading traffic, etc, can tilt towards a bike vs a car.

"Threading traffic" as it is done in North America is a joke.

The main advantage of using a motorcycle for commuting in the rest of the world lies in the fact that it is perfectly normal for a motorcyclist to move between lanes blocked with slow moving (or not moving) vehicular traffic. It is likewise normal for for a motorcycle to pull ahead of the cars stopped at lights. Parking for motorcycles is as a rule free where car drivers pay for it.

I am flabbergasted by the short-sightedness of motorcycle industry in Canada and the US. They don't seem to understand that by selling motorcycles as nothing but expensive toys their customer base is dwindling due to simple biology. As somebody mentioned, millennials do not by into this "toy philosophy" in sufficient numbers to keep them in business. They - the industry - are the only force that can push for traffic laws changes ("lane splitting" is a good start, availability and cost of downtown parking commensurate with the space used comes next) that will make commuting to and from work by a motorcycle an attractive choice in the US and Canada. The motorcycling community here is unfortunately overwhelmingly interested only in joy-riding, not in economical and practical transportation, and is thus not of any help in pushing for change.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 06:55 PM by rotor.)
04-04-2017 06:53 PM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
I agree with your assessment, rotor, but would like to add that there are quite a few other variables w/r/t why people in the U.S and Canada don't think of a motorcycle as an effective option for their commute. I can't blame the M/C manufacturers completely. The U.S. public still has the M/C as a toy mentality. In the northern U.S and Canada, it's really not an option during the winter. I think most believe, possibly correctly, that it's not really a practical option for them because they still need a car. Over here, they need a vehicle to go back and forth to Home Depot. Look at the best selling vehicle in the USA, it's a pickup truck. Most believe it's too dangerous as a daily option due to the clogged highways with drivers of SUVs doing 85 MPH 15 feet behind the next vehicle. And the move to the suburbs over the past 50 years make for longer commutes than people in Europe typically have. As I type this, this morning, the wait time to cross into NYC on the George Washington Bridge is 75 minutes. The temps may be mild, but it's a light drizzle with dense fog, so between the conditions and the wait, not very comfortable to do on the bike. Millenials are moving back to the cities and many of them don't need or want a car. A scooter or a small motorcycle may be an option, but it's still not necessary what with the buses, taxis, Uber and subways all available.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
04-05-2017 05:37 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974