Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
interesting experience...ear plugs...tinnitus
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
RE: interesting experience...ear plugs...tinnitus
(02-23-2017 08:25 PM)crutch Wrote:  My doc also says I have very narrow ear canals, might try having some custom plugs made, didn't know they existed until just reading this thread.
thanks for the info.
crutch
Make an appointment with an audiologist and they'll make them for you. Takes about two weeks to get them back. My last set, this past September, cost about $150. Very comfortable and they'll last a decade.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 08:31 PM by LongRanger.)
02-23-2017 08:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CB Cycles Offline
Break-In Period

Dallas Texas USA
I have tinnitus very bad also; guns, drag racing with open headers, rock concerts and motorcycles.... I have been wearing foam ear plugs for 20+ years. On a long day my ear canal may start hurting some but I recover quickly and have never felt the need to try another others. I have no doubt using them for the past 20 years has preserved my hearing.
02-24-2017 10:06 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
(02-24-2017 10:06 AM)CB Cycles Wrote:  I have tinnitus very bad also; guns, drag racing with open headers, rock concerts and motorcycles.... I have been wearing foam ear plugs for 20+ years. On a long day my ear canal may start hurting some but I recover quickly and have never felt the need to try another others. I have no doubt using them for the past 20 years has preserved my hearing.

I've been exposed to all those same noises too over the years, but always took care of my hearing. In spite of that, I have a hint of tinnitus, but it doesn't bother me. I can only hear it in a place with no other sounds.
When I came back to bikes in 1992 I started wearing E.A.R foam ear plugs and find them quite comfortable for long periods.
Recently, I bought a box of several hundred pairs and all my bike jackets have a few pairs in the pockets.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
02-24-2017 10:20 AM
MMC Offline
Running Like a Top

Fountain Valley California
interesting experience...ear plugs...tinnitus
I have the tinnitus too. Always ringing, sometimes clicking. If I clinch my teeth the sound changes even. I've tried using ear plugs but it just makes the ringing louder! I do play music in my helmet, it offsets the ringing and wind noise.

Sent from me
02-24-2017 11:44 AM
Allen K Offline
Break-In Period

Wisconsin
Too Nortoon and anyone else who's interested, I've been getting the moldable wax like plugs from earplugsonline.com. I've never been able to successfully use the foam or rubber plugs. They always quickly fell out. But I've been very satisfied with the ones I get from this site. They stay in, block enough sound (but not all), and they're comfortable all day.
02-24-2017 02:01 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I tried the wax swimmers ear plugs. They did stay in place, were comfortable, but blocked out too much sound. I could not hear people talking to me when I stopped. So I would remove them when going into restaurants. They were sticky, so you could not put them in your pocket. If you left them in a tank bag in the sun they would glue themselves to what ever you had them in, making them impossible to use again. As I usually make three stops on my day rides, I used three sets a day.

I tried a number of the drug store foam ear plugs. But like you they were not comfortable and did not stay in place all day.

When someone on the CB500X Forum recommended 3M E-A-Rsoft yellow neon ear plugs, I bought 25 sets to try them. They are great! Softer than most foam ear plugs, so they are all day comfortable. A little smaller than most ear plugs, so they are easy to install and stay in place. They reduce the sound to comfortable and healthy levels.

I liked them so much I bought 200 sets. They are so inexpensive, I toss them after every ride. If other bikers ask me about them when I am stopped for a break, I give them a set to try.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2017 09:54 PM by Nortoon.)
02-24-2017 09:49 PM
crutch Offline
1st Service Completed

n.w. arkansas
(02-23-2017 08:30 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  
(02-23-2017 08:25 PM)crutch Wrote:  My doc also says I have very narrow ear canals, might try having some custom plugs made, didn't know they existed until just reading this thread.
thanks for the info.
crutch
Make an appointment with an audiologist and they'll make them for you. Takes about two weeks to get them back. My last set, this past September, cost about $150. Very comfortable and they'll last a decade.

Thanks for the info.
I will.
crutch
02-24-2017 10:45 PM
offroadfx4 Offline
High Mileage

Indiana
I've tried several different ear plugs without much success....I have my heart set on the Bose 30's ....maybe before spring!

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....light=bose

2018 BMW K1600GT
2014 Honda CB1100 STD
1984 Kawasaki GPZ750
1978 Yamaha YZ125
1976 Honda CB750 (cost $1776 new)
1973 Honda CB350
1970 Honda 50 Mini Trail
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2017 09:58 PM by offroadfx4.)
02-25-2017 09:57 PM
EarsOnWheels Offline
Running Like a Top

DC
Use use use use earplugs if you are riding on the highway (or have a loud bike). I can wear these all day:

Etymotic Hi Def Motorcycle Earplugs, Designed To Fit Under Helmets, Universal Fit Package https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010C8HZSY/ref...Syb8E0WJ35

I wear earplugs, balaclava, scarf, and Shoei Neotec. And Road Comet.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2017 08:55 AM by EarsOnWheels.)
02-26-2017 08:54 AM
Nemo Offline
High Mileage

Jacksonville, FL
I should wear ear plugs when riding. I even have a custom molded pair that I use regularly for shooting. When I have left my molded plugs behind (either left them in a different range bag or washed them and left them in the bathroom) my back ups are a pair of SUREFIRE SONIC DEFENDERS. Good luck.

WHAT?!?!

N

“It is easier for me to be forgiving of the stupid than of the evil."
EmptySea

#BLACKBIKESMATTER
02-28-2017 08:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>