Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shoei X 14 versus GT-Air
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Shoei X 14 versus GT-Air
Funny I normally wear a modular. Couple of days last week I wore a full face and it drove me crazy. Couldnt wait to wear my modular again. Probably because I wear glasses. At one point I stopped at a little park for a sip of tea. Had to take my glasses off to get the helmet off so I could take a drink. Put the helmet back on, side stand up, drove off and got about a mile up the road when I realized I couldn't see as clearly as I should. Reached up and .... No glasses. Turned around and went back to the park and luckily they were laying there in the parking lot unbroken. A modular is just so convenient for me

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-14-2017 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Exactly. They're very convenient for those who wear glasses, and for those who tend to get claustrophobic. I've heard them derogatorily described as "smoker's helmets." All I know is they're not approved for track use, which held me back from buying them in the past.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
03-14-2017 05:47 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Everyone should wear what they want. I don't like the looks of most of the modular helmets and I remain unconvinced that they offer protection equal to a full-face helmet. I wear glasses, but I'm not particularly claustrophobic. I am sure there are numerous reasons to have one, but I'm looking for a quiet, well-vented, and aerodynamic full-face helmet, which is why I am comparing the X14 GTAir and R1200 plus, now, the few others mentioned.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-14-2017 06:40 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Yea wasn't trying convince you Sea, just a funny circumspect. I used to always wear full face and loved them until I got a 3/4 helmet which made getting to my glasses so much easier. I love my 3/4 helmets, but don't feel as safe in them. The modular is just a safer 3/4 as far as I am concerned.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-14-2017 07:08 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am claustrophobic as well. I had to saw a fibreglass cast off my arm one night because my claustrophobia kept me awake. The doctor was not impressed. I can wear a full face helmet, but prefer not to.

During my first 23 years of motorcycling I wore nothing but Bell open face helmets, except for the last seven. My Goldwing had room in the trunk for one in case it rained. I doubt the Lazer helmets of the 1980s would meet todays standards however, as I believe they were plastic, But they were cheap, light and comfortable.

Because I wear prescription aviator style sunglass, I only wear my Shoei in cold weather. Dealing with large sunglasses with an full face helmet is a PITB. I like my Bell helmet because I can slip it on or off with my glasses on. It also has a sun peak, flip-down sun visor and clear shield. That lets me chose what I need depending on the weather. Makes me look like a bobble-head doll, but I can smell a pine forest when I ride through one. A lot easier to talk to someone when I stop as well.
03-14-2017 09:15 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Shoei X 14 versus GT-Air
I bought an X-14 for the track, but it's comfortable enough for the street, so I'll be using it there as well. Beautifully finished and light, and the photochromatic Transitions shield is one of the great innovations in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
03-15-2017 07:03 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(03-15-2017 07:03 PM)Capo Wrote:  I bought an X-14 for the track, but it's comfortable enough for the street, so I'll be using it there as well. Beautifully finished and light, and the photochromatic Transitions shield is one of the great innovations in recent years.

noise issues?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-15-2017 07:58 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
(03-15-2017 07:58 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  
(03-15-2017 07:03 PM)Capo Wrote:  I bought an X-14 for the track, but it's comfortable enough for the street, so I'll be using it there as well. Beautifully finished and light, and the photochromatic Transitions shield is one of the great innovations in recent years.

noise issues?

It's louder than my Schuberth, quieter than my Bell. It is a sport helmet, so optimized for lean- forward riding position. But I always wear earplugs, so it's not really an issue.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
03-16-2017 10:57 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(03-16-2017 10:57 AM)Capo Wrote:  
(03-15-2017 07:58 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  

noise issues?

It's louder than my Schuberth, quieter than my Bell. It is a sport helmet, so optimized for lean- forward riding position. But I always wear earplugs, so it's not really an issue.

As I understand it, I can adjust the liner a bit to accommodate the slightly upright/slightly forward position I usually take on my CB1100. Is that true?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-16-2017 12:25 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Shoei X 14 versus GT-Air
Yes it's very versatile in that way, and there are alternate pads and liners for fit and comfort. I don't like recommending helmets as every noggin is different. But it's a fine piece, as it should be for the price!

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
03-16-2017 05:50 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts