Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello-new 2017 CB1100 on order
BamaRider Offline
Break-In Period

Alabama
RE: Hello-new 2017 CB1100 on order
(06-13-2017 01:59 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  I currently own my CB and a ZRX 1200 along with a few dirt bikes. I enjoy them all for what they are.

I do wish the ZRX did not have carbs. Overseas they made them with fuel injection in the later years.

(06-14-2017 05:44 AM)ClassicVW Wrote:  Not a good idea to run out of fuel or run it down to a couple ounces just to see how far you can go on a tankful. Just take the MPG figure Honda gives and multiply it by the gallons available and call it a day.
Close enough.

Relax I was in my home territory, been riding these roads over 40 years. I know every gas station, friend's house, and street light in 100 mile radius. I wanted to know, within a few ounces, how far I could go, if the need presented itself. Where I live there is a gas station every 2 miles (well 5 at the most) and if I did run out my brother would swoop down with some gas in about 10 minutes.

I got over 170 plus miles, and still had a few ounces in the tank. Gas gauges on motorcycles are notoriously pessimistic. Look, I'm never gonna take the CB more than a couple hundred miles from home, I have bikes for that kind of riding, but I've run that test on all of them (ran out once LOL). Now riding in the vastlands out west on long tours, yeah I respect the gas gauge, but around here? LOL.

www.bamarider.com
2004 Honda ST 1300
2018 BMW 1200 RT
2014 Yamaha FJR ES
2017 Honda CB 1100 EX
06-15-2017 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
(06-15-2017 05:06 PM)BamaRider Wrote:  
(06-13-2017 01:59 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  I currently own my CB and a ZRX 1200 along with a few dirt bikes. I enjoy them all for what they are.

I do wish the ZRX did not have carbs. Overseas they made them with fuel injection in the later years.

(06-14-2017 05:44 AM)ClassicVW Wrote:  Not a good idea to run out of fuel or run it down to a couple ounces just to see how far you can go on a tankful. Just take the MPG figure Honda gives and multiply it by the gallons available and call it a day.
Close enough.

Relax I was in my home territory, been riding these roads over 40 years. I know every gas station, friend's house, and street light in 100 mile radius. I wanted to know, within a few ounces, how far I could go, if the need presented itself. Where I live there is a gas station every 2 miles (well 5 at the most) and if I did run out my brother would swoop down with some gas in about 10 minutes.

I got over 170 plus miles, and still had a few ounces in the tank. Gas gauges on motorcycles are notoriously pessimistic. Look, I'm never gonna take the CB more than a couple hundred miles from home, I have bikes for that kind of riding, but I've run that test on all of them (ran out once LOL). Now riding in the vastlands out west on long tours, yeah I respect the gas gauge, but around here? LOL.

Relax yourself. I wasn't talking about your comfort, but the problems you could have with your bike after running it dry.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
06-16-2017 06:05 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I test all mine to see how far they will go. I don't purposely run them out of gas, but I will go further and further on a tank until the last fill up is down to 1/2 gal according to spec, then see how far I have gone under those riding conditions. You need to know when to really start panicking, and when the gauges are just messing with you.

At the first rally one of the members went on flashing reserve part way up the BRP. We were on our way to the highest elevation point, maybe 15 miles north of the pull out we pulled in to. He wanted to turn back and go get gas. I told him he still had plenty and would make it to the peak and back to Cherokee with ease. He wasn't so sure, But I knew how far one would go after hitting flashing reserve by testing my own, and knew he had nothing to fear. He acquiesced and continued on and made it to the peak and back to town with gas to spare. That flashing bar messes with your mind lol.

Same thing happened on a trip with my son. We both had Yamaha FZ-1s and I had taken mine to nearly 250 miles before and it wasn't empty. My son thought he might be low on fuel when he got near 200 and was starting to panic. I told him he had another 50 miles approx and although nervous about it, we finally found a station about 30 miles later and filled up and still had 1/2 gal gas to spare or yet another 20 ish miles before having to push.

We don't push it when traveling, but also don't panic until we know we are getting close to being actually out of fuel, not what the gas gauge tells us. Heck my Honda truck is like that too. I still have like 3 gallons when the gauge says empty.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 04:17 AM by The ferret.)
06-16-2017 07:46 AM
Island guy Offline
Break-In Period

Martha's Vineyard MA
My first post: Just drove home my brand new 2017 CB1100 EX. I live on the island of Martha's Vineyard and bought the bike near Boston and drove it down to the ferry then over to the island. I think I already need a fairing or windshield when off-island on the highway. I was wondering what kind of Candy Red my bike is. Is it Alizarin Candy Red or is it Candy Glory Red or what? I wanted to buy side panels that match the color instead of staying with the silver and maybe a Comet fairing. My last bike was an HD Sportster and I have a little one cylinder Suzuki GS125 that I use to drive my little grand-son down a hard sand road through the woods to a beach looking across the water to the Elizabeth Islands. We don't wear helmets and go slow enough to talk. Now if I can just set up this new CB1100 I'll be all set. What color red is it?
06-17-2017 03:41 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
G'day and welcome to the forum, Island guy. Heaven knows what colour the US 2017 EX is. Look under the seat, I think, and you should find the colour code for the bike on a sticker on the frame. You could then see what the code throws up in a Google Search or at http://www.colorrite.com/.
06-17-2017 07:00 PM
clearviewx Offline
High Mileage

Western Mass
(06-17-2017 03:41 PM)Island guy Wrote:  My first post: Just drove home my brand new 2017 CB1100 EX. I live on the island of Martha's Vineyard and bought the bike near Boston and drove it down to the ferry then over to the island. I think I already need a fairing or windshield when off-island on the highway. I was wondering what kind of Candy Red my bike is. Is it Alizarin Candy Red or is it Candy Glory Red or what? I wanted to buy side panels that match the color instead of staying with the silver and maybe a Comet fairing. My last bike was an HD Sportster and I have a little one cylinder Suzuki GS125 that I use to drive my little grand-son down a hard sand road through the woods to a beach looking across the water to the Elizabeth Islands. We don't wear helmets and go slow enough to talk. Now if I can just set up this new CB1100 I'll be all set. What color red is it?
Nice....What dealer and was it in stock?Beer

2014 CB1100 Deluxe #244Excited
2002 CB750 Nighthawk #549Celebrate
You should of bought a DLX
06-17-2017 08:03 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Good idea to check under the seat. Doesn't the Honda website list the color too?

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
06-17-2017 09:15 PM
Island guy Offline
Break-In Period

Martha's Vineyard MA
Wow - You guys are great! I looked under the seat and saw that the color was: R-342-C So I googled that and the name of the color is Candy Prominence Red. So that's the third Candy Red I've heard of so far. This new red is quite brilliant with a very pronounced tight metal fleck throughout the color. It really sparkles in the sunlight. I guess I was looking in the wrong Honda website for the color. The ads all just say "Candy Red".

Funny thing about buying the bike.. I first visited the Honda dealership on Cape Cod and they had all sorts of new Honda models, but they were unwilling to order the CB1100 unless I gave them a non-returnable deposit. They mostly sold dirt bikes and they said they were worried they could be stuck with an expensive bike taking up floor space. I just wanted to sit on it before I decided if I'd like not having forward controls for my feet. When I called Greater Boston Motorsports the sales manager ordered one right away just on my request, but it took a month to show up. In the end they ended up with just two of them for six locations throughout greater Boston. I was told that's all they would receive for the year.

Thanks again.
06-18-2017 04:37 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Welcome Island guy! And now we know the '17 red. Nice work!

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
06-18-2017 04:52 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
We're marvellous around here. Get with the program: join in. Don't be a lurker.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 05:39 AM by Cormanus.)
06-18-2017 05:39 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on bac . . .GoldOxide — 12:47 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,518