Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Better than a big Green X ... by a bunch
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Better than a big Green X ... by a bunch
On my daily ride calendar, I record which bike I rode, how many miles I rode, how many days of the month I've ridden, how many days of the year I've ridden and how many miles total for the year I've ridden. If I don't get to ride I put a big green X (my wife says it should be red). I hate putting down green X's.

Friday I watched two of my grandchildren from 7:30 until 5, and then their parents ended up staying for dinner. Plus it was cold and sprinkling a wintry mix all day. So I had to write down a big green X. The only one this month so far.

On today's ride I took some roads I hadn't ridden in awhile. Got in 84 miles. Lots of left and right curves, zero traffic, and on the way back home I thought " Man, this sure beats the heck out of a big green X."

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-19-2017 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
RE: Better than a big Green X ... by a bunch
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
03-19-2017 01:07 PM
Retsel Offline
High Mileage

Pacifica
Reminds me of Superman's big red S! You are a super man Ferret!

RLETS, Baby face Sliders, Staintune Slip-on, CB500 Mirrors, smaller led taillight, OEM rear rack, Guhl reflash, handlebar risers, Kawasaki Gaiters.
03-19-2017 01:11 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Each day during the winter that I walk the local nature trail for an hour I place a yellow dot on the my desk calendar. I averaged better than 6 days out of 7 from the start of November to end of February. Then this screwy March weather hit and I was knocked on my butt with a horrible cold. There were 11 blue no-go dots in a row on my calendar up until 2 days ago.

Each of the dots are placed on the day of the month. Under each date is a decreasing number counting down the days until my birthday in early May. It seemed like an endless task when I started at 189 and the days were getting darker and colder. But by the end of this month there will be less than 40. The days will be longer and warmer, and the snow SHOULD be gone.

Hopefully in early May a CB1100 EX will my reward for surviving 71 Canadian winters.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 02:03 PM by Nortoon.)
03-19-2017 02:02 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
everyday transportation?
(03-19-2017 12:48 PM)The ferret Wrote:  ... So I had to write down a big green X. ...
This suggests to me you are a "joy-ride-only" motorcyclist.
Those of us that use their motorcycle as an everyday transportation device have so few so-called "non-riding days" that it is a matter of some surprise that it is something worth keeping track of.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2017 04:41 AM by rotor.)
03-26-2017 04:40 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I am a joy ride only motorcyclist.

Even when I commuted by motorcycle it was for the joy of it. I could have commuted by car. Chose not to. I commuted to work by motorcycle for 17 years, from 1972 until 1989 riding approx 20,000 miles a year. Then switched jobs and for the next 24 years I drove a car over the road covering 3 states approx 48,000 miles a year and rode the motorcycles for fun approx 11,000 miles a year. I have been on out of state vacations by motorcycle every year since 1973 riding to 40 U.S. States, 2 Canadian Provinces and 5 countries in Europe.

Since retiring almost 4 years ago, I try and ride the bikes everyday, (yes, for the sheer joy of it,) putting approx 23,000 miles a year on my bikes and I drive my car ( truck actually) very little, last year approx 1,000 miles. Mostly on my weekly trip to the grocery store (18 miles round trip). Last year I rode my bikes 323 days and 25,304 miles. A have ridden a little over 91,000 miles since 2013, the year I retired. The only thing that keeps me from riding is ice or snow accumulated on the highway. Temperature doesn't matter. I have ridden from -9 to + 105 degrees

I look forward to riding everyday. I keep track because I like doing that kind of thing, always have, and now I have unlimited time to do it in.

Yep, I'm a joy ride only motorcyclist.

Defender of the Realm
03-26-2017 05:29 AM
physics-teacher Offline
1st Service Completed

Lavaca, AR
Love the irony of your last sentence! I try to ride every chance I get, but now that I am retired I look at it, "35 degrees? Screw this. It'll be warmer tomorrow!" (Or less likely to rain, or whatever.). When I was working, I had so often to endure the torture of five perfect riding days followed by a rainy weekend! This might be what awaits a motorcyclist in He**, only it would go on forever. As has been pointed out by others, when you retire it's always Saturday!
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2017 08:06 AM by The ferret.)
03-26-2017 08:04 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
LOl even today's ride beat a big green X.

57 degrees 90% chance of rain. Small hole appeared in the radar to ride in at 9:30. Self imposed minimum is 30 miles once I fire up the bike. Took off at 9:30 headed east. 10 miles later I had been slightly sprinkled on once but the sky didn't look too bad, it had stopped sprinking, and the roads were starting to dry out. Turned north. At 15 miles I could have swung back south to the house, and stayed mostly dry, getting in my 30 miles, but I got greedy. At 20 miles in, it was still good, at 30 miles in even better, and I swung back south towards home for a 60 mile day. But 8 miles later it got real dark and started raining.... hard. The last 20 miles were in a pouring down rain with a big ol smile on my face.

Sometimes you pay the price for greed. Today I had to pay lol. Anyhow 58 miles today, and no green X on the calendar. Thumbs Up

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2017 08:25 AM by The ferret.)
03-26-2017 08:20 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Now that I am retired I only ride for pleasure.
I pick the best day of each week and ride the back roads.
I try to avoid weekends as there is too much cottage traffic.
I averaged one day a week, but rode 400 to 500 kilometers on each.

This year I will try to ride twice a week.
One day just biking, the other fishing.

With the right windscreen and luggage I may try some two day rides.
There are lots of great roads and fishing spots to the west and north.
03-26-2017 09:00 AM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(03-26-2017 05:29 AM)The ferret Wrote:  ...Yep, I'm a joy ride only motorcyclist.

I don't commute to a 'place of employment' anymore either. However, part of the year I am located in a large city in the part or the world where motorcycles (unlike in the US and Canada) do filter through dense urban traffic (the way it should be, but that is another topic altogether). What would be hours by car is minutes on a motorcycle. So it is a preferred transportation method for any and all of my daily needs - business calls, visiting friends, shopping... - as long as the road is not covered by snow or ice.
03-26-2017 07:08 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM