Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Temp drops fast when the sun goes down this time of year
bigsheep Offline
Running Like a Top

Hamilton, ON
Temp drops fast when the sun goes down this time of year
Just got back from a ride. A chance meeting of family in an out of town coffee shop had me heading home a fair bit later than planned. The delay meant a ride home in 3 deg C or 37 F. I really missed the heated grips I installed on the CTX. My gloves had finger vents and my hands were getting numb. I stopped at a gas station and bought a set of deerskin gloves and a hand warmer. I still had 45 minutes to get home and my fingertips were ice cold. The gas station had cheaper gloves but the deerskin fit so nice and was the only pair that I felt I could operate the controls properly in.

So far I have had the CB1100 for about 4 weeks, and I have 2600 km (1600 miles)in the saddle. I'm really enjoying the bike, getting more used to the weight, higher CG and and standard riding position.

1968 CB350
1981 CB125S
2002 CBR600F4i
2013 CB1100
2014 Honda CTX700N (sold)
04-17-2017 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Temp drops fast when the sun goes down this time of year
You're getting about bigsheep. Glad you're enjoying the bike.

I guess the moral is that, when you're riding in places where the temperature can vary considerably, it's worth taking the right gear just in case.
04-18-2017 12:18 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
too bad your bike doesn't have hand guards ROFL

(inside joke... I just bought the handguards that were on this bike when Norm bought it)

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-18-2017 05:06 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
(04-17-2017 09:41 PM)bigsheep Wrote:  Just got back from a ride. A chance meeting of family in an out of town coffee shop had me heading home a fair bit later than planned. The delay meant a ride home in 3 deg C or 37 F. I really missed the heated grips I installed on the CTX. My gloves had finger vents and my hands were getting numb. I stopped at a gas station and bought a set of deerskin gloves and a hand warmer. I still had 45 minutes to get home and my fingertips were ice cold. The gas station had cheaper gloves but the deerskin fit so nice and was the only pair that I felt I could operate the controls properly in.

So far I have had the CB1100 for about 4 weeks, and I have 2600 km (1600 miles)in the saddle. I'm really enjoying the bike, getting more used to the weight, higher CG and and standard riding position.

Very common this time of year and in the fall.
A good pair of warm, well fitting gloves are a must - and take them with you Big Grin

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
04-18-2017 05:19 AM
bigsheep Offline
Running Like a Top

Hamilton, ON
I'm normally ok with those gloves to 6 deg, but the drop to three made it a bit unbearable. But I made it home, saw some family and still have the tips of my fingers so all is well. And I got some nice deer skin gloves out of the deal!

1968 CB350
1981 CB125S
2002 CBR600F4i
2013 CB1100
2014 Honda CTX700N (sold)
04-18-2017 08:40 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I find deerskin gloves warmer than leather gloves. I buy the suede insulated ones at Marks (CTC) and the uninsulated ones at Home Depot. Marks use to have good uninsulated ones, but now they are kind of waxy feeling. Home Depot still has the soft ones in the work glove department and they are $5 cheaper.

One of the best things I bought on sale at Marks was a Columbia Frost Fighter Jacket. It really is an insulated long sleeve vest. I bought it snug so it would fit under my leather jacket. It is very soft and comfortable and keeps the cold air out and the body heat in. The round collar is taller than the collar on my jacket, so it keeps my neck warm. The vest is also longer in the back than my jacket, so it keeps the small of my back warm when sitting on the bike. I bought a black one so it was less obvious. It is kind of puffy, but it folds down tight enough to stuff in my tail bag when not needed.

Cabela's sell flannel lined relaxed fit jeans which are great for cold weather riding and are not uncomfortable on warm spring or autumn afternoons. I bought them with an inseam that is 2 inches longer than I normally wear. That keeps the wind off my shins when I sit on the bike. Oddly enough you can buy them in Florida and California, but not in Canada. So I bought two pair on-line. They sell out quickly, so you have to check the American website in the early fall.
04-18-2017 08:53 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974