Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
leather jackets
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
RE: leather jackets
(04-13-2017 09:55 PM)offroadfx4 Wrote:  Really don't care about flashy....looking for something is relatively cool (temperature wise) ;-) , water proof and offers some protection....oh and blends in with my black CB1100 ;-)

I wear a Joe Rocket Velocity all summer. It's goes for $129 and has back, shoulder and elbow armor. It comes with a removable water proof liner and has an inner left breast cell phone pocket which I like. Full front and back mesh so nice cooling air flow as long as you're moving and on a naked bike, lol.

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
04-14-2017 03:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jimgl3 Offline
High Mileage

Covington, Ga
I have 2 Joe Rockets for summer and a Tourmaster for winter and love all 3. I'm just wanting an awesome leather jacket to go with the look of the retro looking CB. I'm looking for top grain because I want the protection without the need for all those pads. Again though, I'm not talking save my squid hide because I was playing Rossi in the mountains. I just mean if I'm tooling along doing 45 in the damp after a good rain and find a slick spot type misfortune. I also like the look and feel of top grain compared to the promotional stuff. And I truly appreciate all the input.
04-14-2017 06:49 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Just to be clear, the armor is for impact resistance and the fabric is for abrasion resistance. It is relatively perilous to buy a lower quality leather jacket thinking that the armor will save your skin. Conversely, a heavy-duty leather jacket without armor will only provide minimal impact protection. I'm looking for that high-quality, sharp looking, leather jacket with D3O armor that I can afford. Until then, it's high-quality armored textile for me.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
04-14-2017 07:52 PM
12milesout Offline
1st Service Completed

Rhode Island
(04-14-2017 07:52 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  Just to be clear, the armor is for impact resistance and the fabric is for abrasion resistance. It is relatively perilous to buy a lower quality leather jacket thinking that the armor will save your skin. Conversely, a heavy-duty leather jacket without armor will only provide minimal impact protection. I'm looking for that high-quality, sharp looking, leather jacket with D3O armor that I can afford. Until then, it's high-quality armored textile for me.

Ebay/craigslist/forums are going to be your best bet. I've also seen some name-brand gear at https://www.shopgoodwill.com (you may be rolling the dice in terms of condition, though). I've seen new/like new roland sands jackets on ebay for ~100, but there are other brands (vanson, fox creek, etc) that are made of thicker leather. I've been happy with my Fox Creek; if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
04-15-2017 07:09 AM
jimgl3 Offline
High Mileage

Covington, Ga
(04-14-2017 07:52 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  Just to be clear, the armor is for impact resistance and the fabric is for abrasion resistance. It is relatively perilous to buy a lower quality leather jacket thinking that the armor will save your skin. Conversely, a heavy-duty leather jacket without armor will only provide minimal impact protection. I'm looking for that high-quality, sharp looking, leather jacket with D3O armor that I can afford. Until then, it's high-quality armored textile for me.

I can tell you from personal experience that there is very little impact resistance provided by CE armor. (broken collar bone) It does, however add a layer of plastic that acts like a frame slider does for your bike. Or if you have certain brands, you get a layer of titanium. I'm talking real world, not theory. 3 crashes on the racetrack and 2 on the street.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 08:12 PM by jimgl3.)
04-15-2017 08:09 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
sorry to hear about your personal experience and in your particular offs it may have been so, but armor IS to protect you from impact and is NOT designed to add abrasion resistance. Obviously, having a thick pad between your skin and the pavement will help protect you from road rash, but that's not why it's in your jacket. My point is, and was, that I would never buy a jacket that, by itself without armor, would not stand up to a slide and I would never bank on the armor to make up for deficiencies in the fabric.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
04-15-2017 08:49 PM
offroadfx4 Offline
High Mileage

Indiana
(04-14-2017 03:52 AM)curlyjoe Wrote:  
(04-13-2017 09:55 PM)offroadfx4 Wrote:  Really don't care about flashy....looking for something is relatively cool (temperature wise) ;-) , water proof and offers some protection....oh and blends in with my black CB1100 ;-)

I wear a Joe Rocket Velocity all summer. It's goes for $129 and has back, shoulder and elbow armor. It comes with a removable water proof liner and has an inner left breast cell phone pocket which I like. Full front and back mesh so nice cooling air flow as long as you're moving and on a naked bike, lol.

I ordered one of these today, thanks for the tip!

Hopefully it's cool enough I will wear it every time,

I know it's not as protective as others, like leather with amour, but it's better than what I've been wearing ;-)

2018 BMW K1600GT
2014 Honda CB1100 STD
1984 Kawasaki GPZ750
1978 Yamaha YZ125
1976 Honda CB750 (cost $1776 new)
1973 Honda CB350
1970 Honda 50 Mini Trail
04-15-2017 09:51 PM
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
I have to agree with ferret, Fox Creek is the best leather jacket out there. Worth every penny. Love mine! The ferret

(04-13-2017 02:29 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I wore my Fox Creek leather jacket and gauntlet deer skin gloves all day today. Not cheap at near $ 400 for the jacket and maybe $100 for the goves iirc but I just love the feel and smell of a good leather jacket. Soft, supple with the slide protection of cowhide. I do wish it had armor in shoulders and elbows, for impact protection, but it does have extra leather padding in those areas.

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)
1979 BMW R100S "The Ultimate Motorcycle"

[url=http://www.photosbytink.com/]photosbytink.com[/url]
04-16-2017 01:01 AM
jimgl3 Offline
High Mileage

Covington, Ga
here's another issue: looking at Interstate Beretta jacket at two different sites. one site says it's made of "to grain leather" is that supposed to be top grain? the other site says it's made of full grain leather. I doubt that. full grain is the highest grade there is. if it's made of full grain leather and on sale for under $200, I'm buying it.

wait a minute, it's cheap because it doesn't have any of those nifty pads in it that will protect you from your buddy beating you with a frying pan!!!

http://newatlas.com/d3o-motorcycle-armou...est/14227/
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2017 06:08 AM by jimgl3.)
04-16-2017 05:51 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(04-16-2017 05:51 AM)jimgl3 Wrote:  here's another issue: looking at Interstate Beretta jacket at two different sites. one site says it's made of "to grain leather" is that supposed to be top grain? the other site says it's made of full grain leather. I doubt that. full grain is the highest grade there is. if it's made of full grain leather and on sale for under $200, I'm buying it.

wait a minute, it's cheap because it doesn't have any of those nifty pads in it that will protect you from your buddy beating you with a frying pan!!!

http://newatlas.com/d3o-motorcycle-armou...est/14227/

https://www.milwaukeemotorcycleclothing....tta-jacket

Says in this ad that it's 1.1-1.3mm. Most of the jackets mentioned here as 'high quality' are 1.4-1.6mm or thicker. Still, nice looking jacket for $120.

By the way, your post about d30 is 7 years old and mentions that they were already developing thicker versions. Besides which, the "test" did indicate that D3O did significantly reduce the impact of the impact, so to speak.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2017 06:34 AM by EmptySea.)
04-16-2017 06:20 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM