Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
leather jackets
jimgl3 Offline
High Mileage

Covington, Ga
RE: leather jackets
true, very true. since we are hashing it all out, so to speak, the back protector was first conceived by racer, Barry Sheene. it was not designed with impact in mind at all. it was designed to keep your back from bending backward. he bolted or riveted (not sure which) a bunch of helmet visors together in a way that, when worn under leathers, they allowed your back to bend only forward. he sold the idea to Dainese.

Dainese puts titanium "sliders" on the shoulders, elbows, etc. because they permit a glancing blow, so to speak, when you impact the pavement. my collarbone broke because the Alpinestars I was wearing had a rubber type shoulder and it gripped the pavement like a tire when I hit and snap! Had I been wearing Dianese, it may have been a glancing blow and may not have broken the bone.

It's all a matter of what you hit and how you hit it.
04-16-2017 07:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toecutter Offline
New To The Forum

wasteland
For classic styling. Goldtop is pretty good and affordable. Lewis leather has some nice stuff but they aren't as flexible when it comes to alterations and customization (besides fit of course), also expensive, and I had nothing but headaches with their westway boots.
04-18-2017 06:17 PM
run-tmc Offline
1st Service Completed

Calgary
leather jackets
I have a Schott 541, which is the slimmer version of the 141 cafe racer style if memory serves me correctly. I like that it has a nice old school look, thick steerhide, robust zippers on wrists and front and that it feels like it's very high quality. No pockets for armour, around $650 USD cost and shorter arms than I would like are the drawbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-18-2017 09:29 PM
Nightengale Offline
1st Service Completed

I live wherever I'm at
Maybe somebody already mentioned this, but fleabay and other sites / sources for quality used leather gear is a definite option. I'm seeing prices 1/3 the cost of retail for some really good gear. I put my Daniese (jacket) up for sale and even at 1/3 the new price, it did not sell. Took it off the market and back into my collection of riding gear ('cause I got the great and wonderful and uber cool to own and ride and enjoy fantastic CB1100 in my stable now).

So far, my gear buying has actually been "used". Some of it is still brand new, tags and all (didn't fit the former owners correctly) and I've been pretty happy with this approach. Saved a small fortune.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 06:50 PM by Nightengale.)
05-25-2017 06:45 PM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
(04-16-2017 01:01 AM)TINK Wrote:  I have to agree with ferret, Fox Creek is the best leather jacket out there. Worth every penny. Love mine! The ferret

(04-13-2017 02:29 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I wore my Fox Creek leather jacket and gauntlet deer skin gloves all day today. Not cheap at near $ 400 for the jacket and maybe $100 for the goves iirc but I just love the feel and smell of a good leather jacket. Soft, supple with the slide protection of cowhide. I do wish it had armor in shoulders and elbows, for impact protection, but it does have extra leather padding in those areas.

Heck, Fox Creek is local to me , thanks for the tip. Gonna go check them out tomorrow.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
05-25-2017 07:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
"Dress for the crash, not the ride". That being said I still like my clothes, regardless of what I'm doing to look a certain way. While I have a couple of armored jackets my favorite by far to ride with when the weather is appropriate (cool to cold) is a heavy duty wax bomber I purchased in the UK in the early 90's.

I'll be in Scotland and Ireland in September and have three goals in mind. Buy a British riding jacket (wax...Belstaff etc.) in the traditional style. Visit Glenmorangie distillery (again). Lastly and probably most important, to have a pint in Cohan's Pub (featured in The Quiet Man).

If any of our UK regulars can point me to a good source for the jackets around Edinburgh or Dublin I would really appreciate the assist.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 07:47 PM by Frulk.)
05-25-2017 07:45 PM
bigsheep Offline
Running Like a Top

Hamilton, ON
Why don't you rent a bike while you're there?

Google Celtic rider!

1968 CB350
1981 CB125S
2002 CBR600F4i
2013 CB1100
2014 Honda CTX700N (sold)
05-26-2017 06:26 AM
slevin Offline
Break-In Period

DUB, IE
(05-25-2017 07:45 PM)Frulk Wrote:  "Dress for the crash, not the ride". That being said I still like my clothes, regardless of what I'm doing to look a certain way. While I have a couple of armored jackets my favorite by far to ride with when the weather is appropriate (cool to cold) is a heavy duty wax bomber I purchased in the UK in the early 90's.

I'll be in Scotland and Ireland in September and have three goals in mind. Buy a British riding jacket (wax...Belstaff etc.) in the traditional style. Visit Glenmorangie distillery (again). Lastly and probably most important, to have a pint in Cohan's Pub (featured in The Quiet Man).

If any of our UK regulars can point me to a good source for the jackets around Edinburgh or Dublin I would really appreciate the assist.

Frulk, welcome to Ireland! Smile
The default bike shop here is bikeworld.ie. They have much more in stock than listed on their site.
LMK know if you need more info
05-27-2017 01:43 PM
Nemo Offline
High Mileage

Jacksonville, FL
Please convince me that I don't need a leather jacket. Undecided

N

“It is easier for me to be forgiving of the stupid than of the evil."
EmptySea

#BLACKBIKESMATTER
11-03-2017 10:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Nobody needs a leather jacket but common folk who want the best in abrasion protection tend to wear them. Racers too.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
11-03-2017 11:26 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Mr. P: Sounds like another situation th . . .GoldOxide — 05:42 AM