Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2013 CB1100 Rear Shocks - Adjustable KYB Reservoir shocks - CHEAP!
pekingduck Offline
Road Warrior

So Cal
My complaint about the stock shocks has been a little too much initial compression harshness. I've had Ohlins on other bikes, and they can be plush and firm at the same time, if adjusted properly (or terrible if not adjusted right).

Anyway, I wouldn't spend the money for Ohlins or Works Performance here, and really don't trust the sub-$100 adjustable Chinese copycat Ohlins, although they may be fine. The stock 2017 RS shocks are over $700 each retail AND have no dampening adjustments.

The circa-2000 Kawasaki ZRX1200R (Lawson Replica replicas) came with adjustable-damping attached-reservoir Kayabas (KYB) of the same length. I took a chance and bought a used pair off eBay for $200 plus shipping. All in at $250. I re-painted the springs and re-plated the adjuster hardware, changed the lower bushings, and bolted them on.

On my bike, for some reason, the silver grab handle on the right was a lot lower than the left - maybe 8mm. (The forward nut may have been welded a bit lower.) I had to grind away about 8mm of aluminum off the bottom for clearance. When fully compressed, the shock reservoir will angle up a bit, so it needs 4-5mm more to be safe.

I initially mounted them with the reservoirs facing forward, which looked and worked fine, but blocked seat lock key access.

I settled on the compression damping knob at 2 and the compression wheel at "III", and it feels fine, without the stock shocks' harshness when hitting tar strips or freeway section gaps.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 02:28 PM by pekingduck.)
04-15-2017 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chync Offline
Running Like a Top

Charlotte North Carolina
Hopefully you won't run in to the problem I had with those grab rails. I installed some Ohlins fully adjustable shocks on my cb1100 and noticed the rail interference on the right side too. And I also ground down the grab rail as much as I could. I eventually realized that the reason is that the left side shock mounts are further out on the left side of the bike to clear the chain. I had about an eighth inch gap between my rails and the shock adjustment knob on the reservoir. I thought it would be fine. A month later I noticed oil all over the right side of my rear wheel. The grab rail had crushed the shock adjuster under riding load. I had ridden some with a passenger and I assume it happened then or on a hard bump somewhere. I had to get both shocks serviced and the valves replaced. Mine are under gas pressure so I just inverted them. Someone on the forum pointed out that the old cb1100's had their rear shocks mounted that way. When the sag is set correctly they are an amazing improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-15-2017 03:35 PM)chync Wrote:  Hopefully you won't run in to the problem I had with those grab rails. I installed some Ohlins fully adjustable shocks on my cb1100 and noticed the rail interference on the right side too. And I also ground down the grab rail as much as I could. I eventually realized that the reason is that the left side shock mounts are further out on the left side of the bike to clear the chain. I had about an eighth inch gap between my rails and the shock adjustment knob on the reservoir. I thought it would be fine. A month later I noticed oil all over the right side of my rear wheel. The grab rail had crushed the shock adjuster under riding load. I had ridden some with a passenger and I assume it happened then or on a hard bump somewhere. I had to get both shocks serviced and the valves replaced. Mine are under gas pressure so I just inverted them. Someone on the forum pointed out that the old cb1100's had their rear shocks mounted that way. When the sag is set correctly they are an amazing improvement.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 03:37 PM by chync.)
04-15-2017 03:35 PM
pekingduck Offline
Road Warrior

So Cal
RE: 2013 CB1100 Rear Shocks - Adjustable KYB Reservoir shocks - CHEAP!
chync dateli

[hr' Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 03:35 PM)chync Wrote:  Hopefully you won't run in to the problem I had with those grab rails. I installed some Ohlins fully adjustable shocks on my cb1100 and noticed the rail interference on the right side too. And I also ground down the grab rail as much as I could. I eventually realized that the reason is that the left side shock mounts are further out on the left side of the bike to clear the chain. I had about an eighth inch gap between my rails and the shock adjustment knob on the reservoir. I thought it would be fine. A month later I noticed oil all over the right side of my rear wheel. The grab rail had crushed the shock adjuster under riding load. I had ridden some with a passenger and I assume it happened then or on a hard bump somewhere. I had to get both shocks serviced and the valves replaced. Mine are under gas pressure so I just inverted them. Someone on the forum pointed out that the old cb1100's had their rear shocks mounted that way. When the sag is set correctly they are an amazing improvement.

chync, Thanks for your observation. The left shock is a little farther outboard. The adjusters on my shocks are out of the way, but I double checked clearance as compressed as I could, and a little more clearance would be more comforting.

Now, the real question is, how and where did you get that tank for your 2014?
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 10:57 PM by pekingduck.)
04-15-2017 10:56 PM
chync Offline
Running Like a Top

Charlotte North Carolina
I got the tank from Samurider.com

04-16-2017 03:54 AM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Chync

Will that gas cap on the 2017 tank replace the cap on the 2014/2013 tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2017 07:49 AM by Elipten.)
04-16-2017 07:49 AM
BestStandard Offline
1st Service Completed

Pennsylvania
(04-16-2017 07:49 AM)Elipten Wrote:  Chync

Will that gas cap on the 2017 tank replace the cap on the 2014/2013 tank?

No, it takes a special tank recess with five tapped holes for the exposed screws:

https://goo.gl/images/cHPRZe

My '91 CBR1000F has the same flush cap.
04-16-2017 11:16 AM
chync Offline
Running Like a Top

Charlotte North Carolina
I got the new cap from Samurider too

04-16-2017 04:25 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
Darn

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
04-16-2017 06:50 PM
pekingduck Offline
Road Warrior

So Cal
Chync,

Thanks again for your warning on clearance for that right shock.
No matter how much I ground, I couldn't get enough clearance. Decided to put it back to how I had it originally, reservoirs forward, and "clearanced" the key instead. Actually, I usually have house key bolted to the ignition key anyway, so I don't have a cluster of them over the switch. All is good now.        
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2017 08:02 PM by pekingduck.)
04-21-2017 07:55 PM
chync Offline
Running Like a Top

Charlotte North Carolina
pekingduck

Creative solution with the key. I had considered doing something like that myself or possibly trying to move the seat release latch. Not sure if my Ohlins are any bigger than your shock reservoir. Is the key access difficult with your shocks installed that way?
04-27-2017 08:49 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
The weather was good, but it was cool an . . .peterbaron — 03:06 PM
Todays weather
Weather is pretty consistent now. The c . . .GoldOxide — 02:59 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition