Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Next On Radar
FUZZY Offline
Running Like a Top

Houston,TX.
RE: Next On Radar
(09-18-2013 01:21 PM)silascopathic Wrote:  Fuzzy I forgot to tell you, I went and took a Diavel out for a test ride. HOLY CRAP. If i had twice the cash and hated my CB I would buy one. If I ever am in the market for a second bike this is it.

Pretty awesome ride, huh? 4 times as much for insurance? Naaaa. I'm thinking about a Concours 1400. It has plenty of umphh!
09-18-2013 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
(08-23-2013 06:11 AM)FUZZY Wrote:  
(08-23-2013 06:02 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  So are you thinking about replacing the CB, or adding a Diavel to go along with it?
Just looking right now. If I do decide to get one I will probably replace. I hold no sentimental attachments. I have enjoyed every bike I have ever owned. I have had 4 @ one time. I learned it's hard enough to find time to ride 1 much less 2-4. Until I get a grin from another the CB fits the bill for now.

That's cool... I get attached to my toys. Unless they really make me mad, or cost me too much to fix, I generally keep them.

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
09-18-2013 05:52 PM
CBville Offline
Break-In Period

Philadelphia
I test rode the Diavel about a week ago when I took my MV in for service. The dealership was nice enough to loan it to me until my service was done, so I was able to take it around alone for almost 2 hours. The Diavel looks killer for sure but I had very mixed feelings riding it.

The best way to describe it is a performance cruiser, but that in itself is an oxymoron. A cruiser should evoke a relaxed ride that you "cruise" in. On the Diavel, I felt the need to wind it out all the time. Maybe I felt this way because it was a loaner. But for a 1200cc engine, it lacked grunt below 4k rpms. I think it's geared way too tall. For instance, traveling down the road at 50mph, I shift into 4th and it feels like the engine is lugging. Don't get me wrong, the engine has lots of power but it wants to be above 4k rpms all the time.

So I'm not sure it works as a cruiser. On the performance spectrum, it definitely hauls. But handling wise, that massive rear tire forces you to fight it because it wants to straighten back up. At slow parking lot maneuvers, it certainly handles like a big cruiser. Needless to say, I was happy to get back on the MV. And certainly happier with my decision on the CB11. The CB cruises well, handles well, always predictable, and is definitely as quick as you need in this class of motorcycle.

04' Honda CRF100F
12' Triumph Bonneville
12' Triumph Speed Triple - Sold
13' Honda CB1100 - Sold
13' Ducati Hyperstrada
14' MV Agusta Brutale 800
09-18-2013 06:58 PM
FUZZY Offline
Running Like a Top

Houston,TX.
It is in the "Muscle Bike" class with the V-Max was my impression. It does like higher revs but would lift the front easily. Definitely not to be compared to the CB. Rear tire does tend to fight in heavy leaning. It just looks, sounds & runs badazz IMHO.
09-19-2013 06:07 AM
CBville Offline
Break-In Period

Philadelphia
Fuzzy, have you taken an extended test ride on one yet? Before buying my CB, I was really considering the Diavel as well ever since I saw it at the IMS. In all honesty, during my first few months of CB ownership, I still lusted after the Diavel's looks and read every review written about it.

When I got to the dealership, he asked if I needed wheels while my MV was getting service. He offered me a SF848 but I immediately asked if they had a Diavel on hand. I knew it was a dangerous request and I was afraid I would come back with check in hand. During the 2 hours I had it, I wanted to test it in all aspects of riding (slow parking lot maneuvers, slow traffic, back roads, highway).

As an emotional choice, it sure does draw you in. Sometimes that's all you need to make a decision. But I returned the bike more confused about what that bike is all about. As a singular bike, it certainly would fill a lot of different rider needs. Have you considered adding a sporty companion of the CB? For the price of 1 diavel, you probably could own 2 bikes dedicated to different needs.

04' Honda CRF100F
12' Triumph Bonneville
12' Triumph Speed Triple - Sold
13' Honda CB1100 - Sold
13' Ducati Hyperstrada
14' MV Agusta Brutale 800
09-19-2013 06:55 AM
FUZZY Offline
Running Like a Top

Houston,TX.
(09-19-2013 06:55 AM)CBville Wrote:  Fuzzy, have you taken an extended test ride on one yet? Before buying my CB, I was really considering the Diavel as well ever since I saw it at the IMS. In all honesty, during my first few months of CB ownership, I still lusted after the Diavel's looks and read every review written about it.

When I got to the dealership, he asked if I needed wheels while my MV was getting service. He offered me a SF848 but I immediately asked if they had a Diavel on hand. I knew it was a dangerous request and I was afraid I would come back with check in hand. During the 2 hours I had it, I wanted to test it in all aspects of riding (slow parking lot maneuvers, slow traffic, back roads, highway).

As an emotional choice, it sure does draw you in. Sometimes that's all you need to make a decision. But I returned the bike more confused about what that bike is all about. As a singular bike, it certainly would fill a lot of different rider needs. Have you considered adding a sporty companion of the CB? For the price of 1 diavel, you probably could own 2 bikes dedicated to different needs.
You are right about 2 bikes. I got an insurance quote on the Duc & that pretty much changed my mind. I'm happy with the CB. The additional power gain from pipe, breather & PCV made it wake up quiet a bit. Handles great & so easy to maneuver. I'm never satisfied completely. I have owned too many to count, lol. Life is short. Might as well experience all you can. Least that's my philosophy. Not promised tomorrow. Beer
09-19-2013 07:11 AM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO

I'm a Ducati guy. Have owned and still own many of them...

Ducati builds 90 degree Vtwins that are designed for high speed performance - even on their more tame street models like the diavel and multistrada (both share the same 11 degree cam offset 1200 cc engine).
They are not designed to ride below 4000 RPM and in fact prolonged riding below 3000 can cause damage to the engine.

Once you get the feel for riding them at the appropriate RPM it becomes second nature and feels correct but I can imagine that it must feel a bit different coming from other types of engines - especially other Vtwins.

These engines really start to make power at around 7000 and just explode at around 8... It's a lot of fun and it can get you in trouble. Sad

I agree with another post here that said the Diavel seems odd - a cruiser with an engine that wants to do anything but cruise - it's a strange bike IMO.

As for insurance, Wow you guys pay a lot... A Diavel would cost me about $450 a year for full coverage with State Farm.
And that's about what I pay for my Streetfighter and 1098R (both have higher performing engines)
10-04-2013 09:26 AM
FUZZY Offline
Running Like a Top

Houston,TX.
(10-04-2013 09:26 AM)Flynbulldog Wrote:  I'm a Ducati guy. Have owned and still own many of them...

Ducati builds 90 degree Vtwins that are designed for high speed performance - even on their more tame street models like the diavel and multistrada (both share the same 11 degree cam offset 1200 cc engine).
They are not designed to ride below 4000 RPM and in fact prolonged riding below 3000 can cause damage to the engine.

Once you get the feel for riding them at the appropriate RPM it becomes second nature and feels correct but I can imagine that it must feel a bit different coming from other types of engines - especially other Vtwins.

These engines really start to make power at around 7000 and just explode at around 8... It's a lot of fun and it can get you in trouble. Sad

I agree with another post here that said the Diavel seems odd - a cruiser with an engine that wants to do anything but cruise - it's a strange bike IMO.

As for insurance, Wow you guys pay a lot... A Diavel would cost me about $450 a year for full coverage with State Farm.
And that's about what I pay for my Streetfighter and 1098R (both have higher performing engines)

Nice flock of Ducs!
10-04-2013 09:34 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM