Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
RE: Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light
(05-25-2015 01:17 PM)bikerdave Wrote:  Yes. Thanks for the link to Amazon for the turn signals. I've been gonna do that and might as well get'em now. What, if I may ask again, is the link to get that smaller
tail light set up? Looks really good.

Links to the parts used are in post #15 in this thread....

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....5#pid89695

Cheers.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
05-25-2015 11:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roadrash7 Offline
Break-In Period

Indianapolis,IN
Here is how I did the ship in a bottle install for the front turn signals. I removed the headlight bulb then removed the 4 allen bolts that hold the headlight bucket so I would not have to worry about aiming the headlight when I replaced it. I removed the old turn signals, disconnected the wires inside the headlight bucket. Then drilled the larger 3/8 hole. Here's the fun part. You need a 3/8x1-1/4 fender washer on the treaded part of turn signal on the outside of the bracket. Now put the wire and the thread part through your newly drilled hole, take a 3/8x1 fender washer, lock washer and the nut run it down the wire. You can start the threading of nut by putting one of your fingers inside the bracket. Now when you reach the last few threads to really get it tight, I removed my finger and used a small opened end wrench to catch the flats on just the bottom of the nut. Now turn the turn signal housing from the outside and you can tighten it down... The rear turn signal were really easy, but on my 2014 standard the wire were reversed. As someone mentioned in a earlier post.
06-27-2015 07:03 PM
gwallis Offline
Break-In Period

Whitefish Bay, WI
I love the tail light mod... if fact I am trying to install one right now. And please forgive my ignorance on the subject but do you remember how the wiring went.

The three wire into two wires have got me blowing fuses left and right... on my second pack!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
07-28-2015 02:36 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Gary suggest you PM Chip, if this disappears off the front page he might not see it and it sounds like you could use a little help fast lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-28-2015 06:53 PM
gwallis Offline
Break-In Period

Whitefish Bay, WI
(07-28-2015 06:53 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Gary suggest you PM Chip, if this disappears off the front page he might not see it and it sounds like you could use a little help fast lol

Well ... I figured out the Tail Light. You only use two wires... one is the Running light (Green/Yellow) and the other is the Brake (Green). The third wire is not used. It gets its ground from the fender when you bolt it down.

Now I have to wire the turn signals. I got the turn signals to work correctly... but I forgot that they also are running lights. All this after I bolted it all back together.

I just might PM Chip after all.

Thanks
07-28-2015 07:01 PM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(07-28-2015 07:01 PM)gwallis Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 06:53 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Gary suggest you PM Chip, if this disappears off the front page he might not see it and it sounds like you could use a little help fast lol

Well ... I figured out the Tail Light. You only use two wires... one is the Running light (Green/Yellow) and the other is the Brake (Green). The third wire is not used. It gets its ground from the fender when you bolt it down.

Now I have to wire the turn signals. I got the turn signals to work correctly... but I forgot that they also are running lights. All this after I bolted it all back together.

I just might PM Chip after all.

Thanks

Gentlemen,

I'm sorry it took me so long to see this. I'm in New Zealand with my son and I only have Internet when I'm hooked up to wifi in a hotel. My CB11 is half a world away and I won't be home for 2 weeks. I'm glad you figured out the tail light. Yes it does ground to the fender without a wire because it's metal. The bulbs in those turn signals are all dual filament. One is much brighter than the other and the bright one is for the signals. The dimmer one is for running lights (front only). I used trial and error to figure it out and I blew a few fuses too. When I'm back in AZ I'll help out if you still need it then. Cheers.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
07-29-2015 12:34 AM
kulsheim Offline
New To The Forum

Michigan
Hi Chip,

Great looking bike. I'm in the process of installing the Lucas tail light and turn signals. I'm having a little trouble getting the running light to work on the lucas tail light. My Lucas light came with a black and red wire. My 2013 CB1100 is wired with a black/green/green yellow wire. Can you help me be letting me know which wires connect to which? I searched the forum but couldn't locate anything explaining the wire connections.

Thank you in advance for the response and help.

Christian

(08-24-2013 12:24 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  Gentlemen,

In an attempt to duplicate the information that was lost when the old Lucas taillight thread disappeared, I am posting here are some photos of my motorcycle with those same modifications. The Lockhart Phillips turn signals are cast aluminum and they are top quality items. Amazingly, a set of two of these lights is only about $20 from J&P Cycles. The originals are plastic although they are also outstanding quality. Most of you are aware the Japanese model CB11's have much smaller turn signals than the US models. The smaller turn signals are more appealing to my eye. These Lockhart Phillips signals pretty closely duplicate the size of the Japanese units. I started out by just putting one LP signal on and I compared it's brightness to the stock unit on the other side when activated. The bulbs must be the same or very similar because they both display the same level of brightness when the turn signals are operating.

In conjunction with the smaller Lucas taillight and without the huge stock license plate bracket the total effect is like taking a cute young girl out of a pair of cargo shorts and putting her cute butt into a thong bikini. I mean, if you like that kind of thing.

I have a ton to do today to prepare for some upcoming events so I don't have time to post a Chip Beck Spec "how to" thread yet. But I will when time permits. Most of it is pretty straightforward but there are a few potential snags.

In any event, here's what it looks like. For members who like the look of the stock rear end and the basic shape of the stock taillight and turn signals but would simply like units that are a bit smaller and less obtrusive, this may be a solution. I really like it but then again, I've always had an affinity for well constructed and scantily clad female posteriors. All the best.

Chip

09-11-2016 03:15 PM
c-breezy Offline
Running Like a Top

Irvine, CA
Does this taillight bolt into the stock hole?
03-22-2017 10:50 AM
gwallis Offline
Break-In Period

Whitefish Bay, WI
Yes... I used the orinal hole in the rear fender.

(09-11-2016 03:15 PM)kulsheim Wrote:  Hi Chip,

Great looking bike. I'm in the process of installing the Lucas tail light and turn signals. I'm having a little trouble getting the running light to work on the lucas tail light. My Lucas light came with a black and red wire. My 2013 CB1100 is wired with a black/green/green yellow wire. Can you help me be letting me know which wires connect to which? I searched the forum but couldn't locate anything explaining the wire connections.

Thank you in advance for the response and help.

Christian

(08-24-2013 12:24 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  Gentlemen,

In an attempt to duplicate the information that was lost when the old Lucas taillight thread disappeared, I am posting here are some photos of my motorcycle with those same modifications. The Lockhart Phillips turn signals are cast aluminum and they are top quality items. Amazingly, a set of two of these lights is only about $20 from J&P Cycles. The originals are plastic although they are also outstanding quality. Most of you are aware the Japanese model CB11's have much smaller turn signals than the US models. The smaller turn signals are more appealing to my eye. These Lockhart Phillips signals pretty closely duplicate the size of the Japanese units. I started out by just putting one LP signal on and I compared it's brightness to the stock unit on the other side when activated. The bulbs must be the same or very similar because they both display the same level of brightness when the turn signals are operating.

In conjunction with the smaller Lucas taillight and without the huge stock license plate bracket the total effect is like taking a cute young girl out of a pair of cargo shorts and putting her cute butt into a thong bikini. I mean, if you like that kind of thing.

I have a ton to do today to prepare for some upcoming events so I don't have time to post a Chip Beck Spec "how to" thread yet. But I will when time permits. Most of it is pretty straightforward but there are a few potential snags.

In any event, here's what it looks like. For members who like the look of the stock rear end and the basic shape of the stock taillight and turn signals but would simply like units that are a bit smaller and less obtrusive, this may be a solution. I really like it but then again, I've always had an affinity for well constructed and scantily clad female posteriors. All the best.

Chip

03-22-2017 12:35 PM
c-breezy Offline
Running Like a Top

Irvine, CA
Thanks for the prompt reply gwallis! Beer
03-22-2017 12:39 PM

[-]
Forum Friends