Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light
Gentlemen,

In an attempt to duplicate the information that was lost when the old Lucas taillight thread disappeared, I am posting here are some photos of my motorcycle with those same modifications. The Lockhart Phillips turn signals are cast aluminum and they are top quality items. Amazingly, a set of two of these lights is only about $20 from J&P Cycles. The originals are plastic although they are also outstanding quality. Most of you are aware the Japanese model CB11's have much smaller turn signals than the US models. The smaller turn signals are more appealing to my eye. These Lockhart Phillips signals pretty closely duplicate the size of the Japanese units. I started out by just putting one LP signal on and I compared it's brightness to the stock unit on the other side when activated. The bulbs must be the same or very similar because they both display the same level of brightness when the turn signals are operating.

In conjunction with the smaller Lucas taillight and without the huge stock license plate bracket the total effect is like taking a cute young girl out of a pair of cargo shorts and putting her cute butt into a thong bikini. I mean, if you like that kind of thing.

I have a ton to do today to prepare for some upcoming events so I don't have time to post a Chip Beck Spec "how to" thread yet. But I will when time permits. Most of it is pretty straightforward but there are a few potential snags.

In any event, here's what it looks like. For members who like the look of the stock rear end and the basic shape of the stock taillight and turn signals but would simply like units that are a bit smaller and less obtrusive, this may be a solution. I really like it but then again, I've always had an affinity for well constructed and scantily clad female posteriors. All the best.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
08-24-2013 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Huladog Offline
1st Service Completed

Hawaii
RE: Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light
Looking good! Thanks for the photos comparing the stock and aftermarket turn signal sizes.

Looking forward to the "Chip Beck Spec How-To". I have the SW Motech case guards sitting in the garage so that will keep me busy this week.

Mahalo,
Huladog
08-24-2013 02:06 PM
lola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles,Ca
Cant wait for the how to on the turn signals! Great write up comparisons too hahaSmile

[font=Arial][color=#FF0000]money pit[/color][/font]
08-24-2013 02:49 PM
Buffalohead Offline
Running Like a Top

Oklahoma
I'm not sure if I was looking at the right ones on the J&P site. Any chance you would have the part #?
08-25-2013 10:02 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(08-25-2013 10:02 AM)Buffalohead Wrote:  I'm not sure if I was looking at the right ones on the J&P site. Any chance you would have the part #?

Here ya go bro. Click on this link. I tried but couldn't find them again on the J&P site so here is another source for the same turn signals.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Short-Sta...B000I1TZW0

Chip

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 03:07 PM by ChipBeck.)
08-25-2013 02:51 PM
gogoAZ Offline
1st Service Completed

Mesa, AZ
Well Chip, I followed your lead again and did the Chip Beck Spec LP turn signal install. Went pretty smoothly. I do have to say though, your "ship in a bottle" analogy was a bit of an understatement...lol. But the end result is great! Thanks for the great ideas.
12-02-2013 07:15 PM
Andrzej Offline
New To The Forum

Santa Monica
Weren't the original wires from The Lockhart Phillips rear turn signals too short? Did you extend them ?
03-05-2015 11:23 AM
Rebel73 Offline
High Mileage

Lost Angels, Ca
Just ordered mine! For that price it was a no brainer. Ugh, this forum is dangerous.

Thanks, Chip!

- Rob

Mods: Guhl ECU flash, Over Racing Slip-ons, Custom paint, Chic Sport Trunk Seat, Road Comet 1, Hakofugu short front fender, rear fender removed, Motech black engine guards, Renthal low bars, Moto Delux bar-end mirrors, RLETs, headlight grill, Triumph fork gaiters[size=small][/size]
03-05-2015 12:23 PM
Olyrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Pacific NorthWet
That's quite a garage, Chip!Thumbs Up

Olyrider

Ob-la-di...Ob-la-da
03-05-2015 01:32 PM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(03-05-2015 01:32 PM)Olyrider Wrote:  That's quite a garage, Chip!Thumbs Up

Oly,

I have an awesome garage but it's not air conditioned and it's hotter than blazes here in AZ in the summer so I work on my bikes in my living room entry way. It's one of the benefits of being single. My sweetheart Renea (now fiancé) doesn't seem to mind either and she loves to ride. In any event, the chrome steel fenders are signature items on the CB11 in my opinion and I really like them. The stock rear tail light is so massive and it's shape reminds me of Snoopy imitating a vulture sitting on top of his dog house.

Combined with the giant stock license plate bracket with it's three reflectors that hang down below the bottom of that fender the total effect is awful. You don't even notice the fender as it's overwhelmed with reflectors and lights and brackets and signals.

The fender itself, is quite attractive once some of the clutter is cleaned up. Honda acknowledged that they went overboard on the size of the turn signals because they made them smaller on the 2014 CB11's.

This mod takes a bit of time but aesthetically I like it a lot and after looking at it for a year now I still love it. All the best.

Chip

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 11:15 AM by ChipBeck.)
03-05-2015 10:46 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>