Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light
AllenM Offline
Break-In Period

Central Point, Oregon
RE: Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light
Hi Chip,

Can you post a link to the after market tail light you used? Also, is it a direct bolt on or did you have to modify the fender?

Kind Regards,
Allen

(03-05-2015 10:46 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 01:32 PM)Olyrider Wrote:  That's quite a garage, Chip!Thumbs Up

Oly,

I have an awesome garage but it's not air conditioned and it's hotter than blazes here in AZ in the summer so I work on my bikes in my living room entry way. It's one of the benefits of being single. My sweetheart Renea (now fiancé) doesn't seem to mind either and she loves to ride. In any event, the chrome steel fenders are signature items on the CB11 in my opinion and I really like them. The stock rear tail light is so massive and it's shape reminds me of Snoopy imitating a vulture sitting on top of his dog house. Combined with the giant stock license plate bracket with it's three reflectors that hang down below the bottom of that fender the total effect is awful. You don't even notice the fender as it's overwhelmed with reflectors and lights and brackets and signals.

The fender itself, is quite attractive once some of the clutter is cleaned up. Honda acknowledged that they went overboard on the size of the turn signals because they made them smaller on the 2014 CB11's.

This mod takes a bit of time but aesthetically I like it a lot and after looking at it for a year now I still love it. All the best.

Chip
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 04:41 AM by The ferret.)
03-05-2015 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Like the mods very much Chip. Is the tail light unit plastic or aluminum?

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
03-06-2015 03:57 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(03-06-2015 03:57 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Like the mods very much Chip. Is the tail light unit plastic or aluminum?

Red,

The taillight is chromed metal and the turn signals are polished aluminum.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
03-06-2015 08:49 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(03-06-2015 08:49 AM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 03:57 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Like the mods very much Chip. Is the tail light unit plastic or aluminum?

Red,

The taillight is chromed metal and the turn signals are polished aluminum.

Chip

Thanks Chip, guess I've got to have one.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
03-06-2015 09:44 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

You be the judge. Did Honda go a bit overboard loading up that rear fender with a taillight and license plate bracket that would fit in better on the back of a GMC Truck? The stock rear treatment is like a rail thin school girl with XXL BootyPop bloomers!!!

Lets clean that up a little!!!

Ahhhh, much better!!

Chip

03-06-2015 11:07 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Chip I am one who wouldn't mind a LARGER tail light, and turn signals, more like the original early 70's bikes but not as large as the late 70's bikes. I also am not bent all out of shape on having the reflectors. I also like having a full size chrome rear fender, 2 full size mufflers and like my mirrors just the way they are.

Yours does look nice in a minimalist way though, and it's nice to have options for those that want the smaller light assemblies, fender eliminators, bar end mirrors, lower bars, removable reflectors and under slung or shorty exhausts

Have I ever told you how much I like that Husky? lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-06-2015 11:19 AM
Rebel73 Offline
High Mileage

Lost Angels, Ca
Wow, looking at those photos you can see what a big tail the CB actually has! I'm waiting on the Chic short fender myself.

- Rob

Mods: Guhl ECU flash, Over Racing Slip-ons, Custom paint, Chic Sport Trunk Seat, Road Comet 1, Hakofugu short front fender, rear fender removed, Motech black engine guards, Renthal low bars, Moto Delux bar-end mirrors, RLETs, headlight grill, Triumph fork gaiters[size=small][/size]
03-06-2015 11:38 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(03-06-2015 11:19 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Chip I am one who wouldn't mind a LARGER tail light, and turn signals, more like the original early 70's bikes but not as large as the late 70's bikes. I also am not bent all out of shape on having the reflectors. I also like having a full size chrome rear fender, 2 full size mufflers and like my mirrors just the way they are.

Yours does look nice in a minimalist way though, and it's nice to have options for those that want the smaller light assemblies, fender eliminators, bar end mirrors, lower bars, removable reflectors and under slung or shorty exhausts

Have I ever told you how much I like that Husky? lol

Ya know Mick, when I was in high school and I bought a new 1973 Husky, I immediately put on Preston Petty fenders and changed the handlebars. Those original aluminum fenders were really easy to bend up and the stock bars were too low while standing on the pegs. At least that's what I told myself. But when I restored the 1973 Husky that sits in my living room now, I wanted it bone stock. 20 years from now if my hearts still beating and my lungs are taking air, I may just want a CB1100 in my living room and if I do it will be bone stock.

You modify one thing on your CB1100 that is the best change of all and I hope I can duplicate it in a couple years when I'm not scrambling trying to keep my business afloat. And that is adding lots of miles to the odometer on a regular basis.

I admit that all those reflectors did bend me out of shape. Taking them off was cheaper than therapy. I've had that F-150 for three weeks now and I haven't done anything but put gas in it. Three weeks with no mods and I'm developing an uncontrollable twitch in my left eye!

Cheers,

Chip

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 01:50 AM by ChipBeck.)
03-07-2015 01:47 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I'm not much of a farkler, but I made 2 changes to my Ridgeline truck, those preformed cup shaped floor mats that collect all the mud and dirt ( can't think of the mfg name right now) and stepboards so I could get into the tall thing since I'm so short.

You look at that Husky and it epitomizes early 70s motocross. Pure business, and brings back names like Torsten Hallman and Brad Lackey and Heikke Mikkola, just to name a few.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-07-2015 06:26 AM
bikerdave Offline
1st Service Completed

SoCal
Yes. Thanks for the link to Amazon for the turn signals. I've been gonna do that and might as well get'em now. What, if I may ask again, is the link to get that smaller
tail light set up? Looks really good.
05-25-2015 01:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Just think about this scenario.... You . . .Gone in 60 — 01:28 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
that's how i was about my ducati sport c . . .m in sc — 01:20 PM