Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sold the CB500F today.
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
Sold the CB500F today.
Love the motor. But I'm just too old for pop pop pop jostling over these New England Roads. We have so many high speed damping issues. Holes. Cable ditch bad patch jobs. Frost heaves. Road buckles. High manhole covers. Low manhole covers. Not like my brother's house in Melbourne FL, that's for sure!
05-28-2017 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
RE: Sold the CB500F today.
Replacing it?
Bought a suspensgrade for my CB500x, Rally Raid level 1 kit.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
05-28-2017 08:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
(05-28-2017 06:18 PM)nhawk7504 Wrote:  Love the motor. But I'm just too old for pop pop pop jostling over these New England Roads. We have so many high speed damping issues. Holes. Cable ditch bad patch jobs. Frost heaves. Road buckles. High manhole covers. Low manhole covers. Not like my brother's house in Melbourne FL, that's for sure!

I hear you nhawk. My riding routes are limited depending on road quality. My ST handles the bumps better than my CB11 and I'm not sure why. Those low manholes are killers for my back. Sad One of these days, a police officer will pull me over for erratic riding as I'm swerving to avoid those manholes.

Are there suspension differences between the CB500F and the CB500X? You'd think the "adventure" version would have a longer travel suspension to handle off-road riding. I suspect the differences are purely cosmetic.

Maybe the Africa twin is the way to go for those crappy roads in New England.

From the Honda website:

"Long Travel Suspension
The Africa Twin doesn't just look like an adventure bike - it's the real deal. Exhibit A: Check out its long-travel suspension. The fork features huge 45mm tubes and 9.0 inches of travel, while the single-shock rear suspension is also fully adjustable, with 8.7 inches of travel and a convenient remote preload adjustment."

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
05-29-2017 01:57 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(05-29-2017 01:57 AM)curlyjoe Wrote:  Are there suspension differences between the CB500F and the CB500X? You'd think the "adventure" version would have a longer travel suspension to handle off-road riding.

The CB500X suspension is slightly longer than the CB500F. It also has a upright riding position that is more comfortable than either the CB500F or CB1100 EX.

If you are 6' tall or more, the windscreen may cause problems as it directs the wind blast under your chin. I bought a California Scientific windscreen for mine that directed the wind to the top of my helmet.

Adventure bikes tend to be noisy. There are pages and pages on the forums about wind noise. I use 3M E-A-Rsoft yellow neon ear plugs. That solved that problem.

The most pleasing things about the CB500X are:
inexpensive purchase price (mine was $6800 out-the-door)
light weight and nimble handling
Honda reliability
82 miles to the Imperial Gallon
500 kilometer (310 mile) tank range
lots of after market accessories, including a complete set of SHAD side cases and a number of top boxes

Like the CB100 is has an uncomfortable seat and hard and small diameter handlebar grips. Inexpensive Grip Puppies solve the grip problem, but a custom seat can be expensive and there is no guarantee it will feel any better on a long run.

The motor and weight are the major difference between the CB1100 and CB500X. The CB100 is 120 pounds heavier than its smaller sibling. The CB500X motor is great on the back roads, but is noisy at freeway speeds. It can keep up (160 KM top speed), but is not as quiet or strong as the CB1000.

After three happy years of ownership I have no qualms about recommending a CB500X to new riders, those returning to motorcycling, and those wanting to downsize for age or health reasons.
05-29-2017 09:25 AM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
The CB500X has longer front suspension. Same shock. I bought a Penske rear shock (rebound and low speed compression damping and softer spring) for my CB5, but while it greatly improved low to medium speed damping, the high speed damping is what matters here in New England. Many of our roads are literally like dirt roads, the pavement is so bad. A 500X with true off road suspension would work: low medium and high speed damping. $$$. So what is needed is more wheelbase and more ride height. I could ride on the highway all day long. The CB5's are great bikes. But I rode on a backroad about a week ago and just thought, that's enough of that.
05-30-2017 06:25 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I enjoy three things about my XR650L immensely; long cushy suspension (around 12"!!), torque and the tall frame so I can drape my long body over it.

But a nice motor would be a huge improvement.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
05-31-2017 07:12 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM

[-]