Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motorcycle-Only Garage
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Motorcycle-Only Garage
(05-31-2017 06:12 PM)Stichill Wrote:  Cormanus I was wondering if you were talking about some kind of locally-hewn timber as is done with barns? I think around here that is mostly oak sawn on site from locally felled trees.
I wasn't necessarily think of that unless it would be an easy and relatively inexpensive option. Any timber that will survive the weather without paint would do. I agree with Nortoon. I'd have thought oak would have been expensive. I also have no idea how weather proof it is. I fear I'm no expert.
05-31-2017 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guaza14 Offline
1st Service Completed

California
Don’t forget to coat the ends of treated lumber when cutting to size for best results. A ceiling fan is also nice.
06-01-2017 07:59 PM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
I dislike vinyl siding for the same reasons you stated Stichill. My house is aluminum sided, but I don't think you can even get it any longer. My house is brown, and when I extended my kitchen out the rear, brown was no longer available. We had to purchase white and have an auto body shop paint it! It was a cuss to even find the white.

What about engineered wood siding? Handles heat and cold better than wood so it won't warp, is termite and insect resistant, waterproof, and it's a green product since most of the contents are recycled.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
06-02-2017 05:01 AM
Razor Offline
Running Like a Top

Lawton, Michigan
Some suggestions.
- think about utilities (water, computer, phone, sewer)
- rough in the plumbing for a bathroom. Doesn't cost much, and you've got if you want it in the future.
- have plastic sheathing installed before they pour the floor. Keeps moisture from coming up.
- locate all the utilities in one spot. Makes for a clean installation and allows you better use of space.
- scissor trusses. Best thing I did! Opens up the space, allows more useable head room, and doesn't cost that much more to do. You can install floor trusses and have a loft for storage.

Here's a pic of the barn/shop I built in 1992. The barn measures 40' x 48' x 10'.

-Ray

2014 Honda CB1100, Std
1971 Honda CB175
1975 Honda CB750
1972 Honda CB350 Resto-mod-cafe
2018 Honda Goldwing, Tour, DCT
2019 Honda Monkey
1974 Yamaha RD350
06-02-2017 05:59 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Great tips, guys! Guaza14: never heard of coating the ends of treated lumber...great! Ceiling fan, also great!

ClassicVW: my house is aluminum sided too! It's light yellow, done in the '70s, still looks almost new.

Razor: excellent idea on the vapor barrier under the concrete. I am going to be reworking my septic laterals this year, and the settling tank is close to the site for the new garage...plumbing in a toiler and sink drain would be feasible. I could run a water line out there at a later date if I decided to install a half bath. I will be bringing ethernet to wifi and 240V electric. Our phone is VoIP as are my cell calls when I'm on wifi.

Hadn't heard of scissor trusses...will check them out! Thanks!

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
06-02-2017 07:21 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM